1/32nd scale B-29 Superfortress

I've been working on this project for the last nine months, and have been able to apply the finishing touches today.

A full build thread is here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234924637-132nd-scale-boeing-b-29-from-the-id-models-vacform-finished/

This started life as a basic vacform from the old ID Models range (now available from John 'Tigger' Wilkes:

DSCF5493.jpg

The 'small' fuselage in the above image is the 1/48th Monogram B-29 which I used to guide me throughout this build.

There was absolutely no interior with this kit so it has all had to be made from scratch. The tools of the trade were simply Evergreen strip, plastic card and Milliput, plus plenty of good references.

Here's the cockpit under construction:

DSCF7040.jpg

And when painted:

DSCF7047.jpg

The whole interior received this treatment, along with the bomb-bays and wheel bays.

I chose to finish my model as "Kee Bird" which crash-landed in the Arctic after the crew became lost and she ran out of fuel in 1947. Laying undisturbed for nearly 50 years this aircraft was sadly lost during a recovery attempt in 1994.

Due to her long range snooping over the former USSR, "Kee Bird" was fitted with four long-range auxiliary fuel tanks in the bomb-bays; these too had to be made from scratch:

DSC_0005.jpg

There were no engines or propellers in this kit so the engines were castings of the ZM Skyraider engine, and the props came from a Vintage Fighter Series P-47, which after a little re-profiling fitted perfectly:

DSC_0008.jpg

The cowl flaps were made from drinks can alloy to gain a scale thickness:

DSC_0052.jpg

The kit's transparencies were used for the observation/gunner blisters:

DSC_0054.jpg

The clear nose was also the kit's, but for the other windows I simply dropped clear acetate into the apertures I cut earlier in the build:

DSC_0048.jpg

DSC_0057.jpg

(Part 2 to follow)

• Like 8

Here follows some general detail shots as well as some pictures of the completed model in its entirety:

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

The guns came from Aeries:

DSC_0016.jpg

The nose-art was my own doing:

DSC_0021.jpg

The elevators and rudder were scratch-built:

DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

All paints were automotive acrylics straight from a spray can. This picture also shows my scribing efforts to good effect - there was no surface detail whatsoever on the model:

DSC_0040.jpg

And to give a sense of scale to this model... this is a 6-seater dining room table!

DSC_0061.jpg

Although it threw some challenges my way, this was by far the most enjoyable and fulfilling build I've completed to date.

Many thanks to those who helped me out with the engines and main wheels - you know who you are!

As always, your feedback is welcome - good or bad :)

Tom Probert, 29th May 2013.

• Like 8

just to reiterate what I said on the LSP forum...

absolutely brilliant Tom, been a pleasure following this build! Can't wait to see what you tackle next...

Hope to see the B-29 in the flesh soon

Tom,

I have some bad feedback for you: you're too bl**dy good!

Lovely build, sir. Some really high class modelling in there. Now, where are you going to store it?

regards,

Martin

Wow wow wow. I followed the WIP with great interest and what an inspiration it's been. What you've managed to create from a "kit" with so few parts is really outstanding. Bloody well done.

Cheers,

Roger

Absolutely stunning, especially in the light of the starting point. Superb demonstration of patience!!!

Been following the build also. She looks stunning now finished. A leviathan of a model with absolutely no issues storage wise as far as I can see. Thumbs up.

Btw a 1/32 B-52 really would be something.