Hasegawa 1/48th CF-188A Hornet 'Tiger Meet 92'

I have a picture someplace with the '91 bird in vertical formation with a Harrier it was on the cover of a magazine which I will have to dig out of my reference pile.

Emil

I think it was Air Forces Monthly, got it somewhere in the attic.

Shaun.

Back from our trip, feeling tired but happy with the change of scenery. It was nice to leave Quebec and see some Canadian flags for a change... right - no politics here!

I have searched through my pictures, and found some of 769 on static display and flying with a centreline pylon, but no tanks. In your "inspiration" pics at the beginning of this thread, 764 sports two wing tanks, with no other pylons. Given that 769 pre-dated 764 in the Tiger scheme, I think it's very fair to expect it to have flown with external tanks more than once. The centreline pylon is never installed on recent airshow aircraft; back then it was sometimes, especially in Europe-based aircraft.

I hate to contradict Emvar, but the decision to mount tanks on demo aircraft was rarely based on transit distance to airshows. A clean CF-18 will easily fly almost 1,000 nm (about 1,850 km) with internal fuel only, and I have personally ferried a spare demo aircraft (clean) from Bagotville to Edmonton, a distance of about 1,800 nm. We stopped for fuel halfway, in Thunder Bay Ontario on the way there and back. Europe is small compared to distances in Canada. The main consideration is will there be groundcrew in place to remove and install pylons and tanks, which is not always the case.

Back in '91, the demo aircraft were often used for other tasks, which is why tanks may have been occasionally installed. Also, after the show season was over, they were usually not immediately repainted, so they would have been configured just like the rest of the fleet for a while. Nowadays, the demo jets spend the whole airshow season clean, and are only tanked-up when the airshow season is over. Some exceptions occur, though, like the NORAD 50th anniversary jet that flew to Europe. Billy flew it with tanks to England, and crewmembers were on hand there to remove the tanks for the show.

And Pete, when I see the paucity of photos I have from years ago, I fervently wish digital photography had existed as well! When I retired in 1996, I had taken a few in-flight photos with my film-based SLR, but when I see the digital pics that are routinely taken these days, I really wish someone would invent that time machine soon...

ALF

Not sure if this helps or adds anything (as I am one of the least knowledgeable posters here) but I have a Fleet Air Arm book that has a couple of pictures of 769, the '91 Hornet in it. The text states that it was one of eight CF-188's from 439 sqn RCAF that were hosted by 800 NAS in June '91 for DACT exercises.

Seems that a couple of fuel tanks were carried on the inner pylons and that in these pictures there is a single sidewinder(?) on the starboard wing tip.

I've taken a couple of rough pics on my phone so that people can see them but without (hopefully) overstepping any fair usage. I'll take them down if I'm in the wrong.

IMAG1409_zpsf3a34db6.jpg

IMAG1408_zpsa69dbcb3.jpg

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I intended building this aircraft as I loved these photos. But like others, I totally missed that the LEM decals I'd bought were for a different, if very similar aircraft. Actually think I prefer the '91 version. But they're both cool.

Filler - Thanks for posting these up. At least we now know that the aircraft actually carried some tanks and the centre-line pylon at some point. Modelling '769' is definitely do-able, just need some serious masking and cobbling decals from other places. I've got some ideas to model another tiger, a Bengals Marine ATARS equipped F/A-18D which will also require some manic masking, so could do them both together, Hmmm.

ALF - good to see you back and, now, officially part of the group build. Like your choice too.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

No probs Pete. Nice to be of some use for once rather than always asking questions.

I know that it isn't easy to see in the pictures but the first picture (level flight), is that rectangular bit under the fuselage, under where it says Canada, the forward part of a centre-line pylon? I can't see it at all in the climbing photo. Darn, back to asking questions.

I know that it isn't easy to see in the pictures but the first picture (level flight), is that rectangular bit under the fuselage, under where it says Canada, the forward part of a centre-line pylon?.

That's what I think it is.

Pete

That's what I think it is.

Pete

Definitely the centreline pylon is showing there in that picture. Also note that the tanks are regular coloured (no tiger stripes). The other aircraft had tanks with stripes; not this one.

ALF

ALF,

Not a problem if you do contradict me .... Which is why I will always deffer to your answer. Just got back from some intense learning for a week in Maryland..... and I woke up a muscle I haven't really used in about 24 years........ Yeah I had a headache.

Very interesting to see '769 in multiple configurations.... Here is my rendering from a while back... http://www.arcair.com/Gal4/3601-3700/gal3651_CF-18_Varosi/00.shtm

Actually nice to see 188769 still flying, was in the Libyan operation.

Emil

• Like 1

Just a small update which at least shows I've made some progress. I'm just a quick wash away from getting some paint on which should happen soon, but here's how she sits this morning: -

017_zps714a8e32.jpg

Getting close to the dreaded decals but having fun so far.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Another small update for this one. I finally managed to find some time to get some paint on but not without tribulations. I use Xtracolour Light Gull Grey undercoat for my builds as it dries really smooth and doesn't need much of a rub down afterwards. This build is no different but boy did I struggle to get it to spray. I ended up with paint coming out of every orifice of the airbrush except the one at the front. Cue a major strip down and clean of the airbrush and a very thin mix of primer. Got there in the end and then left for a few days to harden off. I then went to get the radome tan paint. so that I could do the nose tip, guess what I hadn't got any in acrylic. I ended up having to use an old humbrol enamel tin. I must admit though that I'd forgotten how much easier enamels spray, really tempted to go back if it wasn't for the extended clean up times and smell. Anyway, first coat of grey is now on and just need to lightly rub it down before the second coat goes on. It looks pretty dark at the moment but will lighten up once set against the darker decals and again after a matt coat.

019_zps4ca7538b.jpg

Also got the odd bits painted up too: -

020_zps2c1eabef.jpg

And picked 2 sets of these up for both of my builds: -

018_zps46980020.jpg

I've used Royale Resin wheels on a few of my builds now and, must admit, am a convert. They are a great bit of casting and so much nicer than the kit ones.

Back soon

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Another small but significant update. I'm really struggling to make progress with either of my builds and have come to the conclusion that concentrating on one is the answer if I'm to finish either before this group build ends. There was never any doubt that this one would be chosen to get done in time, so off she went to the paint shop for some colour and a shine: -

021_zpsfc3c8ea6.jpg

022_zpsc103fb34.jpg

023_zps4428713c.jpg

Then came the bit that filled me with terror, those decals. I'd read about how thick this set of decals was and a few horror stories of people ending up having to paint the stripes because of application problems. This led me to just sitting thinking about putting one on for a bit before I took the plunge and set off. The instructions tell you to apply the nose stripes first and, boy, what an introduction. This is going to be a long job because you have to take so much care in not letting the decals fold over on themselves. I do have to say that they are the toughest decals I've ever used because you can move them around with a wet thumb and a fair bit of pressure for as long as you need to, and trust me you need to. The rear spine decal comes as a full length strip and that was never going to work so I've cut it into three parts for separate application. I started off using warm water but they didn't like coming off of the backing paper. After a few the water was getting cold and they started moving a lot easier, so cold water works best with these decals. I also put the first few on with with Microset and Mr Softer but that seems a bit harsh, so I went back to my usual MicroSet / MicroSol and that still works great. They have pulled down into the panel lines superbly. A long way to go but more positive than when I started. Here she is so far: -

024_zps68586088.jpg

025_zps4f693cd1.jpg

Onwards we go

Pete

• Like 1

You're very courageous, Pete! A couple months ago I completed a special scheme in 1/48 that had very similar decaling challenges. Thick decals. Old and brittle. BIG decals. All from about the same time frame, and the same decal manufacturer. Some of these orange panels peeled right up, and had to be persuaded to stick with Future underneath and on top to hold them down.

I sympathise with you, and truly understand the mental challenge you are facing here.

P1170409_zpsb42e787f.jpg

Here is the recipient (the guy who flew this aircraft back in 2003), happily posing with his new model in his back yard in June.

P1170560_zpsee630ccb.jpg

Keep at it - looking really nice so far!

ALF

Thanks Les and ALF,

ALF - I followed your build of this over on ARC and was impressed with it then. I really wish that I'd picked these decals up when they were about because it is a stunning scheme. I do have the TMOTA decals from Flightdecs though which looks equally impressive but may have to wait a while whilst I recover from this one.

I've had another 2 hours of, what's perversely known as, FUN tonight and will post up a picture once the decals have dried off a bit. Still nowhere near the end though but progress is progress.

Pete

Cheers Dave, I remember your 'Bengals' build and can truly share the anguish of putting on tiger stripes now.

I have got a few pictures of last nights endeavour, having made sure that they settled down nicely overnight, and all is good: -

026_zpsa684db97.jpg

027_zps76dc1feb.jpg

Tonight should see the last spine decal go on and the other side front ones. It's weird that, as many as I've put on, there's still a big pile to go. It's all good though as, so far / touch wood and all that, these decals are very nice to work with.

Back soon

Pete

Looking good, should look great when finished

Shaun.

Hope so Shaun, it's one I've been promising myself to do for quite a few years so must make a good attempt at it.

Day 3 of putting on decals has passed without event but still loads in a decal pile that doesn't seem to be getting smaller. I took the plunge and added an inside vertical tail decal as well, which was fun. I was saying to a guy I work with that you could do with a big furry hand tool, to hold the model at just the right angle, when doing some models and this one is right up there in that category. The decals are really good but do take a bit of moving around to position them once on and with the tail one it's really awkward to get it on with just one pair of hands. One done though and just three more tail ones to go. Also got all the port side stripes on apart from one at the back that has to line up with the tail decal, so that will have to wait. Apologies if your bored with the in progress decal photo's but, for me, every day is a new adventure and has to be documented, if only to help retain my sanity. Loving it though and already planning the next Tiger Bird.

028_zps0b39bbb1.jpg

029_zps7cf53a66.jpg

030_zps80c4f141.jpg

The good news is you all get a rest from my posting for one day as Wednesday is golfing evening and there won't be a decal involved.

Back soon

Pete

• Like 1

Keep going Pete, it's looking really good! :thumbsup:

I feel your pain with the never ending decal pile after doing my tiger meet F-16 last year, at least these look like they are all lining up properly! :banghead:

Keep going Pete, it's looking really good! :thumbsup:

I feel your pain with the never ending decal pile after doing my tiger meet F-16 last year, at least these look like they are all lining up properly! :banghead:

Danny, your F-16 finished up looking worth the effort. The decals do line up pretty well but it is /was a constant battle with tweeking them to avoid problems with later ones.

After about 11 hours of decal application, I finally got the last tiger stripe on. Now I'm pretty slow when it comes to putting decals on as I spend more time thinking about it than doing but, even allowing for cogitating, this has been a loooooooong process. I finally got to the point where I didn't want to see another stripe again, but that didn't last, can't wait to do another one. I did have a point where I thought that it would, probably, have been quicker to mask and paint. I'll find out when I do the '91' scheme as I have no decals for that one and paint is the only option. This is how it stood as of bedtime on Saturday: -

031_zpsa15cffb8.jpg

032_zpsc9b35005.jpg

033_zpsf6ae08e1.jpg

034_zps02851581.jpg

035_zps97037df0.jpg

Sunday saw another couple of hours getting the standard markings on and, apart from a few touch ups, she's ready for a protective coat of gloss; -

036_zps3b127517.jpg

037_zpsd6921885.jpg

038_zps093b66c6.jpg

Lots to do still and a rapidly approaching deadline but I should get there, fingers crossed.

Pete