Academy 1:48 MiG-21MF Fishbed J

Ok so I think this is one of my favourite builds so far this year and since I got back in to the hobby in 2012. It is the Academy kit - OOB with no extras and although its far from perfect I really like it.

It was an easy build with no real issues and I used Tamiya paints for the camo, Alcald for the exhaust and wing pylons and Model master for the cockpit colour. I used Alcad Matte varnish to finish it off and I have to say I am becoming a big fan of their varnishes.

Most of the build went according to plan although I some paint got inside the canopy (causing a lot of bad language!) and I am sure you will spot the other blunders. Overall though it is a great kit and I love this particular colour scheme.

As ever i sought advice from BM during the build so thanks to those for the help/input

This formed one of my Cold War 'triple build' challenge that I decided to embark on at Christmas - the others being the Airfix 1:48 Lightning and Italeri Hunter - both of which can be seen in the photo's!

I consider myself a keen rookie so happy for criticism in whatever form!

Chris

Gatow-7_zpsf517479e.jpgGatow-8_zps1c851931.jpgGatow-9_zpsc0ebcb39.jpgGatow-10_zps39cdeeee.jpgGatow-14_zpsb47b451f.jpgGatow-6_zps1e42efb2.jpgGatow-5_zpseffe219c.jpg

• Like 3

Gday Chris, that looks great, you are well on your way I reckon, seeing as you asked for comments.......My only advice would be that you probably just need to be a bit more careful in cleaning up your wash.

If you look at picture No5 you can see where you still have wash on the tip of the stabiliser, and also along the trailing edge of the wingroot.

The stuff is a buggar to get rid of (ask me how I know) and I find myself looking at my models several times from all angles to ensure i have got rid of all excess wash. For some reason, you never really see it until you hit the model with that final matt coat!!!

Anyway, not to take anything away from your fine model, hope you take this in the spirit of constructive critiqueing

Regards

Bruce

Gday Chris, that looks great, you are well on your way I reckon, seeing as you asked for comments.......My only advice would be that you probably just need to be a bit more careful in cleaning up your wash.

If you look at picture No5 you can see where you still have wash on the tip of the stabiliser, and also along the trailing edge of the wingroot.

The stuff is a buggar to get rid of (ask me how I know) and I find myself looking at my models several times from all angles to ensure i have got rid of all excess wash. For some reason, you never really see it until you hit the model with that final matt coat!!!

Anyway, not to take anything away from your fine model, hope you take this in the spirit of constructive critiqueing

Regards

Bruce

haha Bruce you spotted one of my blunders! Yes you are quite right and it was one of those occasions where you spray your final coat and step back feeling pleased with yourself and bugger I missed that bit!!

Thanks for your comments

Chris

Very nice MiG 21

I've done that with the wash, so now I put the optivisors on and have a look around before I spray the sealing coat,it's surprising the amount you miss tucked into the crevices

Very nice MiG 21

I've done that with the wash, so now I put the optivisors on and have a look around before I spray the sealing coat,it's surprising the amount you miss tucked into the crevices

Thanks - I need to find a better way of clearing out the crevices - cotton buds don't always do the job

cheers

that is a very nice looking MiG-21. Good jo.

Are you planning to park this aircraft in a base? It deserves it. Also what did you use to wash the aircraft?

thanks - I have no plans for a base at the moment as I have no experience doing them - its kind of next stage for me I think.

The wash was Flory's Dark Dirt - I think it works well but needs a matte finish if that makes sense