Spitfire 944 - WOW!

Jennings Heilig

Fabulous stuff, lots of details in there as well. Thanks for posting.

Interesting that the Spitfire PR.XI had as good as or better range than the reconnaissance Lightnings.

Regarding the Flying Sergeant scheme, were they Sergeant's only during flight training or did they end up as Sergeant pilot's on operational units? I thought all US pilots were commissioned.

Wez

Edited by Wez

Good find Jennings. Excellent film and lots of fascinating detail.

If you go to about 6:17 you will see a Spitfire with what appears to be some sort of square patch on the fuselage at the wing root. It looks a bit crude and I've never seen that before.

Trevor

Great film - thanks for posting that Jennings.

Simon

Edit: there's a great colour photo of PA944 here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24554019@N06/3684567010/sizes/o/in/photostream/

Some interesting details can be seen: the star and bar looks to have been painted over by hand, as have the black and white invasion stripes. The serial is also on the rear fuselage, but is missing the 'P'. It also has what look like red mission markings on the forward fuselage.

Edited by Simon

Some interesting details can be seen: the star and bar looks to have been painted over by hand, as have the black and white invasion stripes. The serial is also on the rear fuselage, but is missing the 'P'. It also has what look like red mission markings on the forward fuselage.

I've been looking at a *lot* of photos of Overlord ID stripes recently. It is my belief that what we're seeing is the result of using RAF washable paint for the stripes. When the order to remove them came along, the offending parts were scrubbed off, discoloring (sorry, discolouring) the paint underneath. At first I thought we were seeing a 1943 red bordered insignia that had had the red overpainted with mismatched blue, but the first PR.XIs were delivered to the USAAF in November '43, two months after the order changing the border color. There's no reason an obsolete insignia would have been applied at that time, and there are no photos of a Spit PR.XI with red bordered insignias that I've ever seen. I think the washable paint may have been harder to get off than people realized, resulting in a very common 'look' to the areas, on many types of a/c, where it happened. I suspect there was residual white pigment that was ground down into the underlying paint, with the result that you get a whitish 'ghosting' where the scrubbing took place. I've had the same thing happen with model paint (inadvertently - now ask me to try and replicate it!).

PA944 did indeed have red Maltese cross mission markings, which were fairly common in the 14th PRS.

Edited by Jennings Heilig
  • Like 1

Most ejoyable! Thank you!

My thanks to all on your kind comments about the movie and pilot. He will be 91 in June and is enjoying the attention. Spitfire Addict you are absolutely right about the need for a documentary on the recon Mosquitos. My father loved the MK XI but really wanted to fly a Mosquito at least once. The great pilots from RAF Benson would come over to Mount Farm's mess hall on Sundays so he met a bunch of them and has fond memories of the encounters.

All the best

Scott Blyth