Panzerkampfwagen Panther Ausf.G

After a couple of Tigers, I thought it about time to look at the other 'animal' in the inventory. Oft described as the finest medium tank of WW2, the Panther was rightly feared by it's opponents. Fragile engine and transmission let the tank down and the problems were not fully solved by the wars' end. Nevertheless, both the Soviets and the French used captured tanks until superior designs were available.

This kit, another evilbay bargain, included Verlinden's zimmerit set. This comprises of a new turret and mantlet, together with rear hull plate and stowage boxes. Of course, designed for this kit, it doesn't fit all that well, much cutting, sanding and filling is required to get the parts on the model. So, without further ado, here's where it stand ay present.

DSCF3334_zps4b00ca7d.jpg

DSCF3335_zps62108ba6.jpg

DSCF3336_zpse7a146b5.jpg

DSCF3333_zps0e5a597f.jpg

I've used Vallejo filler to eliminate the gaps as it's easy to work into a vague zimmerit pattern.

W

Here's a couple of shots of the replacement turret. Again, shrinkage seems to be a problem as I had to cut the kit turret base off and attach it to the new one. Either that or let it slide about.

DSCF3337_zps50252da9.jpg

DSCF3338_zps5d33da42.jpg

The mantlet was a real pain to fit also. You'd think that replacement parts for a specific kit would fit wouldn't you? Verlinden didn't care much. The cupola looks like it not going to fit too. Great.

W

Off to a good start there, the Verlinden AM does not seem to cause you to much trouble!
I am doing a FrankenPanther myself. Dragons A #6428 and D #6358 will shift place. The A will take advantage of the pre-zimmed D and the D will be backdated to a no Zimm early Kursk.

Looking forward to your next updates on the G.

VBR
JT

As suspected, the Tamiya cupola (designed for the resin extras) doesn't fit without removing every locating lug. The same goes for the roof fan. The turret is just about ready for painting now. Must move the Nahverteidigungswaffe mount though.

DSCF3387_zps20148d8d.jpg

DSCF3388_zps32b8ec07.jpg

Now we move onto the hull assembly. Adding the kit torsion bars was a doddle, the new rear hull plate not so much. Yes, there was a large gap.

DSCF3386_zps09b4626d.jpg

What fits one side, doesn't fit the other. Sheesh. More filler.

Now, the problem with adding the resin zimmerit to the hull sides, is that all the locating holes for the tool racks, track link carriers, gun pull through tube and the side skirt mounts, have all disappeared. Measurement of the plans in the AJ Press Panther vol.1 has enables the marking of the relevant mounting points to be done with a fair degree of accuracy.

Apart from the tube, all are now mounted where they should be (or as near as dammit).

DSCF3390_zpse235484f.jpg

DSCF3391_zps5a9fe50b.jpg

The tube mounts were made from card strip.

More later.

W

• Like 1

looking good'

Just a quickie today. I finished the hull last night, other than the exhausts, which need separate treatment. A few etchie bits on the engine deck and the resin stowage boxes and it's about ready to paint.

DSCF3394_zpsf67ddff9.jpg

DSCF3393_zps9a314b95.jpg

DSCF3392_zps381397b3.jpg

Looks like it's time for all those road wheels!

W

• Like 1

Road wheels done. I thought that seeing as I had plenty of paint left I'd do the rest of the kit. Painted with Lifecolor.

DSCF3395_zpse493d058.jpg

DSCF3398_zps90e65c80.jpg

DSCF3397_zpsb3f797be.jpg

Now I've just found the hull MG mount resin part. Crap!

W

• Like 2

I got carried away and got the other two colours on, all from Lifecolor's Panzer set 2. A thin wash around the salient points with a very thin humbrol weathering powder black. Decals need matt varnishing now.

DSCF3406_zps2eab1582.jpg

DSCF3405_zps957cd695.jpg

DSCF3404_zpsf9a9fc67.jpg

DSCF3403_zps00b66381.jpg

DSCF3402_zpscd3fe889.jpg

That's all for today, folks.

W

Edited by Wolfpack
  • Like 1

And I thought Skif kits were a lot of bother!

An excellent build and a Lifecolour user too.

Do you really attach the photo etch grills and paint through them?

Looking forward to the finished article.

Mac