Trumpeter 1:32 A-1D

Thanks chaps!

I'd like to think I'm on the home stretch now, but there's still so much left to do! All the control surfaces, the underwing racks, possibly some stores too, the drop tank... Also the method of finishing I decided to run with is far from quick..

Gonna hit it tomorrow morning full steam..

Then the next project: 3x 1:72 Harrier.. Airfix GR.1 (very nice!), Sword T.4 (looks 'challenging') and Airfix GR.9 (also nice..)...

• Like 1

You model is BEAUTIFUL. Outstanding work. I've always been a fan of the 1950's US Navy blue paint scheme. I wish I had your talent to give models a true look of use. Just an aside: Don't forget to flatten tires for weight!

Thanks guys!

You model is BEAUTIFUL. Outstanding work. I've always been a fan of the 1950's US Navy blue paint scheme. I wish I had your talent to give models a true look of use. Just an aside: Don't forget to flatten tires for weight!

I'd love to!

...but they're vinyl.

Right! I managed to get about 3/4 the way through painting the rudder when I had to start preparing for our visitor this week.. I.e. tidy up the living room of all the modelling stuff because that's where she has to sleep..

Anyway, I of course didn't take any pics, but I do have a nice wide shot for now.. I do solemnly swear to use the D600 to take proper pictures when it's done!

5bfc5a4e1e29f091a2cfff37ede503c7_zpsae8d

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Well, it's been a while, but I got my backside into gear and got some work done on the control surfaces. It had been so long since I had sprayed anything with the regular Vallejo paints that I mixed the paint with gloss varnish instead of thinning medium and then wondered why it wasn't going on as nice as usual..

Anyway..

image_zps96fc7be2.jpg

Just caught up with this, great stuff! I think this goes to show me that painting/finishing is much more than a quick blast through the airbrush, varnish, decal, varnish, done!!

Thanks for showing, looking to forward to seeing it finished.

FF

Missed this thread until now for some reason. Wow! I have a biased opinion towards the Korean War era Blue Skyraiders anyway but this is fantastic work :wub:

Thanks chaps...

Col, I would've preferred a Nam era one (which is round about now available from Trumpeter, mind..) too, but hey, affordable Skyraider! Woohoo! And the solid blue offers some interesting weathering challenges. I may revisit the whole thing as soon as all the components are painted up properly..

I'm particularly looking forward to seeing how you represent the exhaust dirt/burn marks down the fuselage so typical of this machine. Many years ago I finished the ancient Monogram 48th scale kit in a very similar scheme and the weathering was the most enjoyable part of what was a nice kit at the time.