Hasegawa 1/48 J2M3 Raiden

Hi all, Just started modelling again after 10 years and this was the first kit I attempted from fresh (after finishing off a Tamiya FW190 D-9). It was a bit of an experiment in as many new techniques as I could cram in so it's fairly rough around the edges (not just the intended weathering)!

No aftermarket bits besides some copper wires, a couple of sprue knobs in the cockpit and brake lines. Attempted homemade weighted tyres with the original wheels (never again!) and sawed the canopy apart. Apologies for the terrible outside photography.

IMG_1977_zps2c09d518.jpg

IMG_1980_zps2eaa6b56.jpg

IMG_1983_zpsce6c4574.jpg

IMG_1986_zps4c0d5e8b.jpg

IMG_1988_zpsf6eeb877.jpg

IMG_1990_zps6d1ff8c0.jpg

IMG_1884_zpsf7ddc80f.jpg

Any comments appreciated!

Chris

• Like 3

Thanks guys! Although I just noticed having found another (much smarter) build on here that I forgot to put the blue/red stripes on the landing gear doors! Back to the bench... :banghead:

Out of interest, I have had a look at the 1/32 kit Hasegawa do vs this one and the cowl on each is definitely a different shape, the 1/48 is a more consistent curve to the nose whereas the 32nd kit is flatter and then curves more sharply close to the spinner. Hard to tell which is a better representation but I think the 48th kit is actually more pleasing visually. Views?

very nice,are they the airscale decals you've used on the dials in the 'pit?

dave

Thanks. They're the kit decals all round including the dials, as I haven't built up a collection of aftremarket things yet, just concentrating on not ballsing up at the moment!! I was amazed how well they came out with enough solvaset and a dob of clearfix to make them shiny (doesn't really show in the photo, sigh)

I really enjoyed the pit on this one as it's so huge and can be seen easily when built up. Used hairspray to chip the paint off, shows better in this pre-finished shot, as does my efforts at wiring...

IMG_1877_zps6f72c1cb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Chris,

Good to see you posting pics of the Raiden! I didn't look too closely at the cockpit when you brought it to the club the other Tuesday so didn't spot what you had done with the decals for the instruments! Very impressive - something I've never tried on this scale. Must give it a go!

Are you going to put the FW-190 up??

Dave