[COMPLETE!] 1/72 Special Hobby Anson

Hi all,

Finally got my mits on the SH Anson so I'll do a WIP for it over the next week. I'm actually at a family meeting type thing this weekend, so I wont start building till sunday evening. However, I do have shots of the kit;

20130525_113638_zps06f4198d.jpg

20130525_113715_zpsab97a738.jpg

20130525_113756_zpsd255e7bb.jpg

Unfortunately this resin engine cowl is outta shape :/
20130525_113828_zps70f41238.jpg

Some lovely PE
20130525_113925_zpsf4531ae2.jpg

Nicely printed
20130525_113936_zpsdf581a74.jpg

Crisp, clean and clear
20130525_114007_zpsc8bf1728.jpg

Cheers,
Ben.

Edited by wellsprop
  • Like 1

It looks like a scaled down version of the Classic Airframes/ Special Hobby1/48th scale kit. If so be careful of the canopies, they are very brittle and take a lot of removing from the sprue without cracking.

So far i know i have to fill in the recessed panel lines on the wings and reshape the bent cowl, other than that I have no issues with the kit. Cheers for the heads up on the transparencies, im a little apprehensive about unspruing then the fit to the fuselage.

Ben

Also beware of the thickness of the resin cabin side walls!! They are too thick and need a lot of pairing down. I know this as I have one on the go(now and again). Ditto re the transparent parts too. I used the 'unused part' to blank off the tureet and this needed some blending in also. Plastic has few fit issues but not insurmountable. Good luck.

My cowlings were OK.

By the way which scheme are you going for?

By the way which scheme are you going for?

Sidewalls look like a fun job...

The scheme I'm going for is an ATA bird. Standard green/brown all over sky or silver dope. Blanking out the turret, removing the; MG, radio, mast. I'm going for a late war look with pilot and copilot seats along with two added pax seats.

Does anyone know what that funny little metal thing is on the port side of the nose? Some ansons have it, some don't

Ben.

Edited by wellsprop

I would suggest that you send an email to SH and ask for a replacement cowling. They usually have a very good customer service.

Right, well first off I tried to sort out those beautifully scribed wings :( such a shape the wings have no real detail on the real Annie.

20130526_173339_zps3ffd0762.jpg

Here's the cockpit (a little dusty)

20130526_204517_zps847358bb.jpg

Sadly, as I'm using my phones camera, theres not good enough res to see all the PE parts for throttles etc...

The framing as it will look on the outside is... nasty IMO. Trying to get the resin smooth is pretty difficult (ok I'm a novice). The flash on the camera makes it looks even worst :/

20130526_204526_zps7b66ee91.jpg

I'll upload a bit more later,

Ben.

Edit. The cockpit is lacking detail and things like the radio and navigators table as this is going to be an ATA stripped out Annie used for ferry/transport work.

Edited by wellsprop

The framing doesnt look too bad, fortunately im going to display the model from the other side and the framing on that side is absolutely fine.

Rich, im looking at the metal box in the top left corner. The thing pointing down is a pitot tube as far as Im aware

Ben

The box is what I'm referring to ;) .

Ah yes, sorry, got myself confused there! Thermometer then, that explains why not all have them. Especially few of the ATA Ansons as they had everything that wasn't necessary removed :P

Well, I'm just about to finish the cockpit so I'll upload in an hour or two :)

They are tough :S

Anyway, joined the fuselage together, had a battle with that damn cockpit, but I think it looks ok.

Framing looks ok

20130527_162510_zps953778fd.jpg

Scrach built yoke aswell as the extra panel

20130527_162459_zps99f6c6c3.jpg

20130527_173511_zps4630104b.jpg

Quite happy overall, needs LOADS of filling though!

If I were you I'd test fit the fuselage glazing to make sure its going to fit properly before you go mad with the filler!!!

Cheers

Simon

Way ahead of you Simon ;) I'm going to sort out a few interior issues before putting on the transparencies, masking off the bits that need it, then doing a primary filling of the gaps.

Ben

Brave man, Silver!

I'm rather used to Airfix's older tool stuff that goes together in an hour or so :P Heres a few more. The fit of the transparencies has been awkward to say the least, ive used pva to fill the larger gaps eventually i will, mask of the windows and use some filler and sand the entire thing smooth (hopefully) all before removing the masking tape to reveal a beautifully shaped Annie... Well, thats the plan!

Ben

Edited by wellsprop