1/72 Supermarine Stranrear update 5-7-2013 "Finished"

Hi guys,

I hade writen myself of from this GB. But now I have some time and It was still itching to do a model.

I have chosen to do the 1/72 Revell/Matchbox supermarine Stranrear. I have two in my stash.

When I bought a original Matchbox version on a show in Engeland (Cosford) last year I thought it was complete. Later when I was back home I noticed that there were two sprues who were the same. When the Revell version came out recently I bought that as wel to make my Matchbox version complete. I found it a little bit expensive just to buy a second kit just for one sprue ( you know how Dutch guys are). So I made a plan to use the double spue to still complete this one. The double sprue was of the wings and engines. The plan is to use the double wings to make a good one. That means that I have to copy some of the wholes and delete some as well. But nothing a average modeller can do. The foto's of the sprues are the ones from the Revell kit that I will build.

But here are the pictures of the box content. I used the Revell one, with the matchbox version as a reference.

IMG_4174_zpsb2752a6b.jpg

IMG_4176_zps3bbf4d36.jpg

IMG_4175_zps55ac41c2.jpg

IMG_4179_zpsd27d5d92.jpg

IMG_4177_zpsad8a542f.jpg

I have already made a start yesterday. I will place some more pictures later this week.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 2

Thanxs guys. I don't know what decals i will use. I think I will use the Matchbox ones with some out of the spare box.

Cheers,

Thanxs guys,

I have done some work sinds Saturday. I have concentrated myself first on the wings, because if this would fail I wouldn't have to do the whole kit.

I have glued the wings together and have done some surgery to let the 2nd topwings be the underside wings with all the holes filled that had to be filled and holes made for the correct underside. Hopefully I have don it right. :pray:

I have got some pictures and I will put them later on here.

Cheers,

Hi Guys,

Here are the pictures.

The first two pictures are of the uper and lower wings. The holes that have a circle around it are the ones that needs to be filled. These are all on the lower wings.You can also see that in the last picture of these there is the hatch that is on top of the right wing. This one is also going to be deleted. Before I put the two wing halfs together I glued a piece of plastic on the inside. You will see later on why that was fore.

IMG_4192_zps15cfcf37.jpg

IMG_4193_zps48a9e712.jpg

IMG_4194_zps58f802cd.jpg

IMG_4195_zps4a4b240c.jpg

Here you see the lower wings after I sanded the smooth and filled all the holes that were not needed. There is also a piece of plastic card on the mating surface with the Fuselage. I needed this to close a gap on the underside.

IMG_4196_zpsd1984dca.jpg

IMG_4199_zpsa094c2af.jpg

Here are thee pictures of the upper wing. The last two are the ones with the engine cowels clamped to the wing.

IMG_4200_zpse592483d.jpg

IMG_4201_zps0c750386.jpg

IMG_4202_zpsfd684926.jpg

The lower wings are now cleaned up and the upper wing is done partialy. I hope to have those finished tomorrow so I can move on to the cockpit and the Fuselage. I know she won't be purfect but it is a good build to do some experimentation. The most frightening for me will be the rigging. I have never done that before.

Cheers,

• Like 2

Rigging isn't difficult Arnie, it just takes patience and preparation.

Make sure all your rigging points are drilled before putting the wings together, work from the inside to the outside etc. All obvious stuff really, just got to take your time.

I can tell this is going to be a great build.

Follow Doug's advice about the rigging. Think, plan, be patient, drill all the holes in advance and work from the inside out. Oh, and whatever you do; think, plan and be patient!

What do you plan to use as the rigging?

Thanxs guys for the advice. I think I will use fishing thread. I have also got some elastic thread, but I have never used it.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

Hi Guys,

Here is a update of what I have done this weekend.

I have painted the inside, crew, engines. I have also put the fuselage together with cleaning all the seams.

And finaly I have made a start on the base. The base will be a sculpted part of a loch. I got inspired by Smudge (Swordfish fairey) his base for the Grumman J2F-2Duck.

Here are the pictures.

The inside of the fuselage. As you can see I put in some plastic card for the gunners. otherwise them putting in the fuselage at the end of the build would be very difficult. There are no points where you can glue them to the fuselage.

IMG_4205_zpsfdba8e87.jpg

IMG_4207_zps268c53cb.jpg

IMG_4208_zps6e4bd786.jpg

The crew in two stages of painting.

IMG_4210_zps1543d90f.jpg

IMG_4212_zpscac5652d.jpg

IMG_4213_zps19e1ecd3.jpg

The engines

IMG_4211_zps739ce3a9.jpg

IMG_4214_zps77cd8cd2.jpg

The fuselage closed and temporarily put on the base (to be).

IMG_4216_zps9903ed7f.jpg

IMG_4217_zps2b3b6111.jpg

IMG_4218_zps91ab0a89.jpg

The Base

IMG_4219_zpsf73c45be.jpg

IMG_4220_zps2e9d3de6.jpg

The base will need a paintjob and that will be the most difficult to do.

I have also put on the wings this evening but I have got no pictures of that.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

I haven't done any work this week, But i hope to do some this weekend and next week. I think that I will change the Base a little bit. I think that the waves are a little overdone and I will try to blend them more in.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

I have done some more work this week. I have managed to put on the struts (to the lower wing). I came into trouble with the top wing with the struts. I hade to bend it a little so the struts fit now. The topwings will be put permanently on after the painting. I also put in the wires for the rigging. If the struts are secure in place I will clean them up and remove the top wing for painting.

I have also done today the painting of the base in some sea colours. It's not perfect but for a first attempt quit acceptable. Here are some pictures.

IMG_4222_zps3dfd3cc0.jpg

IMG_4223_zps81581476.jpg

IMG_4224_zpsbf26f99a.jpg

The painted base.

IMG_4225_zps1736ab78.jpg

IMG_4226_zpsbb1e5c99.jpg

The base still needs a few coats of klear to let it shine and I am also thinking of painting the edges of the frame Black. The hole will be filled tater on with some sort of card with the description of the model.

• Like 2

Well impressed with your pilots & the base as well Arnold. I need to pay more attention to this thread.

The model is now almost ready for some paint. I will wait with this till the weekend. It's to bloody hot here now the last couple of days (yesterday 34 degrees). I have managed to get a few coats of Klear on to the base and also painted the frame black. This is ready now so next will be the model. It will be close to finish it on time. I have no Pictures jet, but I will make some with the painting process.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Hi guys,

I have started today the first stage in painting the model. The first colour on is the extra dark sea grey.

I have been weathering it a little bit with some dark sea grey to make it more interesting.

Here are the pictures.

The fuselage with underwing.

IMG_5051_zps134c15be.jpg

IMG_5052_zpsd3b4763d.jpg

IMG_5053_zpsa2fa82cf.jpg

IMG_5054_zps5d7cd925.jpg

The topwing.

IMG_5055_zpsc742bab0.jpg

IMG_5056_zps0b98273d.jpg

IMG_5057_zpsabf3e4f7.jpg

The floats.

IMG_5059_zpse7482298.jpg

I hope to do the Dark slate grey tonight.

Cheers,

• Like 2

Hello, this is coming along well. I have both the Matchbox and Revell ones of these, the Revell is in a stalled state after having got to the fuselage stage. I want to do mine silver, but am daunted by getting the finish smooth!

Your base looks good too,

all the best, Ray

• Like 1

That's looking ace, I built the original Matchbox version 30 odd years ago.

Bought the kit from the corner shop, built it in an hour or so and floated it around the bath- Happy days!

Good luck with the rest of the build!

Thanxs guys,

I have been busy this weekend and managed to paint the rest of the model. I also managed to break of some of the struts. But these are glued back on. It's a good lesson, because now I know the hard way how not to do it and only put the struts on after painting. :banghead:

Here are some pictures.

The fuselage

IMG_5061_zps565a85ca.jpg

IMG_5063_zps0ef07c81.jpg

IMG_5064_zpsb807ed0b.jpg

IMG_5065_zps8a2b29c4.jpg

The top wing

IMG_5068_zps4f04aa2b.jpg

IMG_5067_zps1a3c4d35.jpg

The floats

IMG_5066_zps7ea04972.jpg

I hope to give it tomorrow a good coat of Klear. I am still in dought if I need to put on first the decals or first the topwing with all the wires.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 3

I hope to give it tomorrow a good coat of Klear. I am still in dought if I need to put on first the decals or first the topwing with all the wires.

Cheers,

Good luck, whichever route you choose :popcorn:

Cliff

• Like 1

The only thing I don't like about watching this thread is that it makes me want a Stranrear and my stash is already too big! You're doing a cracking job on this one.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Here are two pictures of the model on the base. I wanted to see how it looks. The model was also sprayed with a Klear coat.

IMG_5069_zps19ad51ba.jpg

IMG_5070_zps895a8a22.jpg

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 3