Thinking about joining this group build, probably building one of the Canadian CF-188A Hornets that operated over Libya in 2011 - can anyone confirm which version of the AIM120 the Canadian Forces operate, I'm assuming it's the AIM120C?

Thinking about joining this group build, probably building one of the Canadian CF-188A Hornets that operated over Libya in 2011 - can anyone confirm which version of the AIM120 the Canadian Forces operate, I'm assuming it's the AIM120C?

It would be a C model... I want to say C-5 but I'm not entirely sure.

Well I tried so hard to resist this GB, I've got too many kits on go already, not to mention real life jobs, but I sold some stuff on eBay and was forced to buy something...so an Academy 1/72 F/A18D is on the way from the Far East! Ill stick a build thread up when it arrives!

Well I tried so hard to resist this GB, I've got too many kits on go already, not to mention real life jobs, but I sold some stuff on eBay and was forced to buy something...so an Academy 1/72 F/A18D is on the way from the Far East! Ill stick a build thread up when it arrives!

Look forward to your build Phil

Les

For the RAAF scheme I've converted the FS numbers to tamiya acrylic X19, XF20, do the Bug experts think that's correct?

All, another general question, looking at reference pics on the net when at rest the rudders seen to move either inboard or outboard, is there a more prevalent position and what causes this?

I've seen the rudders both point inward when the Bug is launching from a catapult (always wondered why really, I always guessed stability reasons). However as for when they are parked I saw loads of pictures of mixed configurations... I dunno... :/

Kind Regards

Dazz

I've seen the rudders both point inward when the Bug is launching from a catapult (always wondered why really, I always guessed stability reasons). However as for when they are parked I saw loads of pictures of mixed configurations... I dunno... :/

Kind Regards

Dazz

With weight on the wheels and low forward speed, full aft stick results in a inward rudder deflection as it provides additional nose up response from the flight control system. When parked, as the hydraulic pressure bleeds off, gravity and wind will influence how the rudders are deflected.

For the RAAF scheme I've converted the FS numbers to tamiya acrylic X19, XF20, do the Bug experts think that's correct?

Neal, there are no direct Tamiya equivalents for the RAAF Hornet colours

Here are a few options:

FS35237 (Dark blue/grey) for the upper surfaces
Humbrol:145, Xtracolour:X126, Polly S:PCA817, Gunze Sangyo:H337 or Model Master:1721
FS36375 (Light compass grey) for the lower surfaces
Humbrol:127, Xtracolour:X136, Polly S:500836, Gunze Sangyo:H308 or Model Master:1728

I think its inward,

It depends on wind or gravity or both, which ever is strongest. Most birds parked in hanger have rudders that drop outwards as the hyd pressure drops.

Shaun.

• Like 1

It depends on wind or gravity or both, which ever is strongest. Most birds parked in hanger have rudders that drop outwards as the hyd pressure drops.

Shaun.

having looked thru various photo's i have to agree that it seems entirely random, although pictures of birds powered up aboard carriers seem to show the rudders both pointing inward, any idea why this is?

Hi all I am looking for sum help on the paint for my F18-D I am in no way skilled with paint. Am I after sum help on what is the best/ nearest match for the two-tone grey on the plane preferably acrylics?

Topgear29, I think Trojanthunder has been extremely helpful and has the right paint colours nailed below. However I'm the same as you with the acrylics, revell call out aqua colour 90% 76 + 10% white and 75% 76 + 25% white, I've never been to hot at mixing these so I've gone for XF-66 and XF-19 as they seem to match the RAAF reference pics I've got.

Neal, there are no direct Tamiya equivalents for the RAAF Hornet colours

Here are a few options:

FS35237 (Dark blue/grey) for the upper surfaces

Humbrol:145, Xtracolour:X126, Polly S:PCA817, Gunze Sangyo:H337 or Model Master:1721

FS36375 (Light compass grey) for the lower surfaces

Humbrol:127, Xtracolour:X136, Polly S:500836, Gunze Sangyo:H308 or Model Master:1728

Edited by Neal

Hi all I am looking for sum help on the paint for my F18-D I am in no way skilled with paint. Am I after sum help on what is the best/ nearest match for the two-tone grey on the plane preferably acrylics?

You could also try Xtracrylix XA1126 (FS15237) and XA1136 (FS16375), these are gloss finish so are supposed to be decal ready. You would then need to add a matt coat to obtain match for FS35237and FS36375

Ok I have a problem first forgive me for not knowing the name but I have only just noticed a problem with this kit (I think). If you look at the picture below the are two slots ether side of the spine behind the cockpit.

DSC_0155_zpsc7239181.jpg

Now in all the picks I can find that there should be fins in this place But no not in my kit. It’s to as if they are missing from the kit they are just not there.
So this is a shout out is sum one can post a pick of the relevant parts in 1/72 with a ruler for scale so I can attempt to make them

Wasn't happy with the Steel Beach ECS pipes that I have for my builds, so I ordered a set of Quickboost ones, which arrived today. Has anyone fitted these? There are no instructions so I don't know if I'm to sand them right down, or cut a chunk out of the airframe.

Dave

Dave

I have them too, looking at them I would say its a cut the airframe job.

I have finally started my F/A-18F (well sanding down the cockpit for the etch at least) and not being a pointy front and jet thingy at the end person I was wondering if anyone could help me with the weapons I need.

I think that the bombs I need are GBU-12s and GBU-38s (according to the excellent Fightertown decals). This LINK is the super bug I am doing. So do I have the correct items and if so where do I get 2 of each from.

Thanks

Simon

Edited by Skids

Had a look on the internet there and, as the late type ECS vents are slightly raised above the airframe itself, i'm going to saw away the casting block then sand the parts down to fit them.

As for your build Simon, yep, that jet has 2 gas bags, 2x GBU-38 and 2x GBU-12. You can get the former from Hasegawa weapons set E or any of the new boxings of Academys F-15E/I/K, or the Kinetic F-16 series. As those ones look to have the airburst fuse, i'd try and source them from the F-15's.

GBU-12's can be sourced from Hasegawa weapons set D, Kinetic F-16's or the Academy F-15E 'Iraqi Freedom.

Dave