Cheers Dave

Would the GBU-12s from the Revell Rafale kit be the same?

And I found a company called North Star models that do a GBU-38, do they look right? - Link

Have posted in wanted too

Thanks

Cheers Dave

Shull24 are not shipping to UK at moment according to the website (well unless you want to remortgage your house for shipping costs). If the wanted comes up blank I may just buy the academy F-15 or kinetic F-16 as I would like to build both aircraft.

Have you started those ecs pipes yet?

Simon

Hello all!

I am a late joiner to this GB. I have to admit that my pulse rate went up after Neu told me about the Hornet GB - so much so, that I joined the site.

I hope to provide some insight where I can; I flew the CF-18 for 10 years from 1987 to 1996, and know a lot about the A/B/C/D versions, plus I have a DACO ref book for the Legacies (ABCD) and another ref book for the Supers (EFG).

For all who wish information on the Hornet (my favourite aircraft of all time, BTW), please don't hesitate to PM me and I'll help where I can. If it's general info that can benefit all the builders on this GB, I might post the answer in this chat thread. Brilliant idea, BTW - other sites I have frequented don't have this kind of GB chat.

Here are a few quotes I think I can help to answer:

It would be a C model... I want to say C-5 but I'm not entirely sure.

Libya operation - very likely AIM-120C-5. We bought some 120A/B missiles early on, but quickly filled in the war stock with the C-5 version. I don't know if they would have flown the earlier version in Libya (unlikely), but ref pics I have seen have the C-5 AMRAAM.

A great place to look for CF-18 refs in Italy/Libya is here: http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca/netpub/server.np?find&catalog=photos&site=combatcamera&field=Keywords&op=contains&value=opmobile11&sorton=IPTC%20-%20Date%20Created&ascending=0&&template=results_eng.np

All, another general question, looking at reference pics on the net when at rest the rudders seen to move either inboard or outboard, is there a more prevalent position and what causes this?

The short answer is very much like another fellow (Yank someone?) mentioned: hydraulics off, they move with wind (primary factor) and/or gravity to any old position. They can be posed a few degrees toed-in or toed-out, differing positions one either side, as you wish. Rarely do they go a long way off trailing, unless there is a strong wind pushing them, or a technician has displaced one for some reason.

With hydraulics on, pre-take-off, they will toe in. Here is an extract from the aircraft operating instructions with the reason:

For takeoff and landing modes, rudder
toe-in is used to improve longitudinal stability and to
provide early rotation during takeoff or go-around.
Rudder toe-in/flare-out is a function of AOA, with
maximum toe-in (30°) at low AOA, and decreasing
toe-in as AOA increases to a 15° flare-out at high
AOA.
We used to check that the rudders were toed in 30 degrees with flaps at half prior to take-off. Parked, or during the take-off roll, the AOA is pretty much zero. As the aircraft accelerated, the toe-in gradually washed out to near zero at rotation,as the AOA built with the nose in the air. So the real reason is longitudinal stability. For similar reasons, we were not supposed to use the speed brake for landing. I did a few times, but never in a crosswind, which would definitely have been dangerous.
Frankly, I have never noticed the 15 degree flare-out at high AOA.

having looked thru various photo's i have to agree that it seems entirely random, although pictures of birds powered up aboard carriers seem to show the rudders both pointing inward, any idea why this is?

As above.

Hi all I am looking for sum help on the paint for my F18-D I am in no way skilled with paint. Am I after sum help on what is the best/ nearest match for the two-tone grey on the plane preferably acrylics?

There have been lots of good answers to this. Years ago, with limited access to paint, I was stuck with Tamiya Acrylics. Sadly, nothing out of the jar came close to CF-18 or RAAF colours; they were all too dark or off shade.

I tend to use Modelmaster Acryl FS paints for the CF-18; they are really close matches to the right colours. I also discovered that the light ghost grey (FS 36375) can be approximated using Tamiya spray can primer (Light Grey). The only downside to using the Tamiya primer is that it's a bit lighter than the Modelmaster Acryl; I therefore have to decant a bit of the spray can to do brush touch-ups.

ALF

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Need help could not get the up dated nose so now

have to do my own IFF Spines so can any one give me the size

in 1/48 please and positioning ,or

after market ones .

Ta Les

If you send me an e-mail at danmcw AT videotron DOT ca, I can reply with a few pics that might help. I can't post them here, because they may be protected by copyright.

ALF

Some cracking builds coming along guys, keep up the good work!

Apologies I haven't commented on everyones build, but i am following the lot. Haven't been on the site a lot recently. Losing a bit of my modeling 'mojo' unfortunately.

Dave

Some cracking builds coming along guys, keep up the good work!

Apologies I haven't commented on everyones build, but i am following the lot. Haven't been on the site a lot recently. Losing a bit of my modeling 'mojo' unfortunately.

Dave

same here im afraid, unfortunately decorating and other hobbies are taking precedent sad times

Here's a question for Hornet builders- How do you handle yours?

The obvious place is on the LERX , but over time you wear the paint away!

How do you work on yours?

Shaun

Shaun

I use the LEX a lot to hold them; paint wear hasn't been an issue with mine.

Another way I find works is to put two fingers in the nozzles, and one on the other hand on the nose, to spin it around. When working on the belly area, I sit it on the vertical tails, and sometimes put a horizontal sprue or similar support right under the cockpit side rails to protect the top finish.

I also sometimes handle them from the fuselage sides behind the flaps, but it's easy to get fingerprints on the finish this way. Side benefit: this area of the F/A-18 tends to get greasy from fuel and grime, so you can explain smudged finger marks as your expert weathering technique!

ALF

• 3 weeks later...

A quick question.

I know that US Navy bombs (dumb or guided)have two yellow rings around them, is this the same for US Marine weapons especially if the aircraft is being operated from dry land?

A quick question.

I know that US Navy bombs (dumb or guided)have two yellow rings around them, is this the same for US Marine weapons especially if the aircraft is being operated from dry land?

The USMC draws its aircraft munitions from US Navy stocks, so markings would be identical.

A quick question.

Yellow means live explosive in a weapon (warhead), in this case a bomb. I believe (not 100% certain) that the two yellow rings on USN and USMC bombs signify thermal protection applied to the bomb, to prevent them 'cooking off' in an on-board fire.

ALF

Hi All I would like to thank Dave for running the group build and all who

took part, to my mind a good group build as I got mine finished.

Thanks to all Les

• Like 1