Old Skool Again - A Collection from the Seventies

Apologies for the poor photo but this was taken in my bedroom sometime in the early 70's on an old 126 film camera. As a youngish teenager I was very proud of my collection. Sadly they have all gone to the great display cabinet in the sky :(

C914B78F-B5AE-401B-AE94-F272EA624E02-648

Peter

• Like 10

We were all so prolific back then too! I had 80+ on my bedroom ceiling at one point. Couldn't tell you where any of them were now... all gone, but not forgotten. It's surprising what brings back memories of the kits you had as a kid, isn't it? ^_^

• Like 1

Nice collection! I had similiar, but with a lot of Tamiya armour on some shelves in my room, late seventies/early eighties. My mum binned them all when I joined the Navy in '84. Still a bit of a sore point actually!

Nice collection! I had similiar, but with a lot of Tamiya armour on some shelves in my room, late seventies/early eighties. My mum binned them all when I joined the Navy in '84. Still a bit of a sore point actually!

Must be something about mums, mine did the same when I joined the Navy :weep:

• Like 3

Looks like a model of an aircraft storage yard with a giant Scotsman strolling unconcernedly through it. I tended to scrap models so never had quite as big a collection. I still have some old models but gave a bunch of them to my kids who used them up very quickly needless to say.

As for Mothers, joining the military does seem to give them an excuse to move in and clear out. I lost a few when I went off to the army once. She cleared out my entire room, put everything in black plastic bags and put them in the shed. The trouble was that I was only gone for two weeks as I was in the reserves! Boy was I mad!

Edited by noelh
  • Like 3

Brilliant! What a collection! Mine was like that when I was a kid, except smaller, not finished very well, and that was only for the rare ones that got finished! So pretty much the same as my collection now, except my modelling seems to cost a lot more!

• Like 1

Wow what a great picture, could have been my bedroom floor cira mid seventies, except I didnt have a radiator in mine. Thanks for the nostaligic nudge though.

Dave

Thanks a lot for putting this one up, I really enjoyed that. It reminds me of the dear dead days of the same period when I used to actually finish models. Nowhere near your standard, mind. I shudder to think that I've completed maybe half a dozen kits since 1998, and I don't even superdetail! That's one of them in my avatar.

Joseph

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Like 1

Looks like the Airfix back catalogue there. Very nice collection & a lot of enjoyment on show.

Most of what survived the great parental tidy-up upon me joining-up was later lost in a house fire. That's why my stash is around the hundred count - got to make up for the attrition losses ;)

Are those a couple of Matchbox B-26s in the back there? I did one of those as a kid and loved it (and I'm 'only' 28 :thumbsup: )!

No they're both Airfix.

Love it - you liked Mosquito's didn't you!! Is that Matchbox and Airfix Canberra's in there?

Pat

Not quite. Airfix B2 and Frog B(I)8.

Thanks for all the kind comments.

Great memories & 2 in particular. As everybody else I had them all on the ceiling which was painted blue and white, although the drawing pins didn't hold the Victor/Hercules refueling for very long and they crashed. Secondly I had the 1/72 Monogram B-52 and it was on my bedroom floor (light coloured carpet) and my Mum stood on it; claiming she didn't see it!! :argue: and as above still niggles me to this day over 30+ years later; female Frank Spencer comes to mind. I have another one in the stash just to remind her of the size when it gets built.

Edited by speedy
  • Like 1

Must be something about mums, mine did the same when I joined the Navy :weep:

Or maybe it was something about joining the Navy? :thumbsup:

I too built a lot of kits back then, but they all ended up being a) blown up, B) shot up. c)set on fire or d) all of these things!

BTW, you were posh, I didn't have a radiator!

Rick.

Or maybe it was something about joining the Navy? :thumbsup:

I too built a lot of kits back then, but they all ended up being a) blown up, B) shot up. c)set on fire or d) all of these things!

BTW, you were posh, I didn't have a radiator!

Rick.

I second the above.I had a much smaller collection,and mine suffered a similar fate,you only got one at a time then.A stash wasnt heard of.Made up for it now tho :banghead: Much to the dismay of the missus,and me wallet.

No radiator in my room either...................

BTW,talking of Old Skool,does anyone have the ORIGINAL instructions for the Revell Funfdekker Fokker? I had this kit in the 70's and remember laughing me head off at them.If so,could I have a photocopy of em

That's brilliant! My parents use to joke that they thought my bedroom ceiling would fall down with the weight of the models, the whole thing was littered with pin holes when we moved.

• Like 1