Hasegawa 1/48 F4U-5 Corsair

Originally I wanted to built this kit together with the new Corsair from Hobby Boss. The latter has ended

up on The Stash. Maybe some time in the future...

2013-05-23163548_zps9952de37.jpg

The kit is pretty much straight forward. It has a non-foldable wing and posable flaps. It also includes some

ordnance (rockets, bombs) and some parts to build a F4U-5N (nightfighter).

2013-05-23161155_zps97157213.jpg

The wing consists of three parts; an underside and two uppersides. The underside is a big piece of plastic

to glue. And I am afraid I messed up the left part of the wing. First let it dry.

What brand glue you people use???? I use the UHU-bottle with brush.

Hans, i don't know much about the characteristics of UHU, but many of us here use Tamiya Extra thin liquid cement. It is also applied with a fine brush.

I will have to tell Steve about your F4U-5. He has built the Hasegawa -5 and he also flies the real thing!

david

Looking forward to seeing this come together, great aircraft. I use Mr Hobby's Mr Cement S liquid cement. I think Tamiya Extra thin is supposed to be the best, but find it really hard to get hold of; I get on really well with Mr Cement S though. Also, to be honest, I get really well with Humbrol's liquid cement, except the brush applicator is a bit chunkier than the Mr Hobby one (and falls apart!!).

Val

• 3 weeks later...

Glueing the fuselage and wing. This required some sanding at the fuselage-wing joint.

Just sanding and fitting until it fits.

2013-06-02201303_zps25334ed2.jpg

For some extra strength I glued some pieces of plastig to inside of the nose.

2013-06-01173840_zpsa5fa31e8.jpg

To keep things in place I used a klamp. The result is not really great but nothing putty and sandpaper can't fix.

The wing-fuselage fit is not really great.

2013-06-06161302_zps9fb46727.jpg

2013-06-06161224_zps9cc4f5fd.jpg

The endresult. The tailplanes fit quite well. At one I have to use some putty but that's my fault.

2013-06-06161138_zps4f2ff3c8.jpg

So next week some masking and smearing.

• 3 weeks later...

Hans, i don't know much about the characteristics of UHU, but many of us here use Tamiya Extra thin liquid cement. It is also applied with a fine brush.

I will have to tell Steve about your F4U-5. He has built the Hasegawa -5 and he also flies the real thing!

david

David

I wonder how Steve has done the guns on this model. Their fit is somewhat fiddly.

Hans

The Netherlands