737-800

hi newbie to civil aircraft, usually build military stuff 72nd a & 48th scale, so a foray into the unknown for me, ive been looking at pinned thread, how much higher do the windows need to be?

hi newbie to civil aircraft, usually build military stuff 72nd a & 48th scale, so a foray into the unknown for me, ive been looking at pinned thread, how much higher do the windows need to be?

You could ease yourself into civil stuff by building a US Navy P8 Posedion :winkgrin:

Hello goose,

According to those who know, they need to be raised about 1mm. Personally, unless I'm marking my kit with a full cheatline (one that carries on from the fuselage windows and covers the nose eg. American Airlines or KLM retro) I wouldn't even bother. If the scheme you've in mind is like Alaska Airlines or something along those lines, I doubt you'll notice the difference in height when it's all done and sitting on your shelf gathering dust!

Jeff

I don't have a Revell kit handy at the moment, but here's where the windows on a real 737-800 (or any other 737 for that matter) line up compared to the cockpit cab cutout. Lay a piece of tape exactly down the centerline of the windows and see how it falls on the nose, keeping in mind that it's *very* difficult to make said piece of tape line up perfectly horizontal on the compound curves of the fuselage.

I know for 100% fact that the Revell kit windows are in fact too low, because you simply can't make a cheat line lay on the windows and then intersect the cockpit windows correctly. It's been 15 years (!?!?!?) since the kit came out and I did the measurements, but it seems to me that it was closer to 1mm than to 2mm, but don't hold me to that. It's difficult to measure precisely in any event.

Best bet is simply putty the windows (which are the wrong size and shape anyway) and use decals.

737-800windows.jpg

Edited by Jennings Heilig