Are Fujimi as good as Tamiya?

Ambrose9

Hi all, still brand new at this game, and so far I have not had the bravery to step outside my "Tamiya only" comfort zone... However looking

around here Fujimi seem to have quite a range... can anyone tell me how good they are in comparison to Tamiya and if they're worth parting with my hard earned? Thanks!

In my experience, Fujimi can be hit & miss.

Though it will help to improve your modelling skills if you get a miss.

They did do some models that other manufacturers didn't.

So if you want one of those, you have no choice.

Get a cheap second hand one & give it a go.

It won't be 'shake & bake' like most Tamiya kits, but,

What's the harm if you don't try?

Me, I've just got an Arii car kit from Japan,

Not seen it yet, could be good, or....

Welcome to the madness!

Pete

Edited by Pete in Riyadh

I agree fujimi are not really reliable for quality eg. Their ferrari f2012 f1 car wasnt very well made or thought out in my opinion but by contrast their ferrari f10 f1 car was excellent but I think it all depends what kind of experience you are after and what selection you want , I mean if you want the security of knowing that there wont be much to fiddle with go tamiya but if you want a surprise of not knowing what your going to get go fujimi, hope this helps

Thanks for your help guys, it is helpful indeed...! Might keep learning the craft with Tamiya and try something fujimi when I'm more confident and can handle a curveball a bit better hehe, still quite the rookie! The diversity of their models, especially a couple of Alonso ferraris, is what has got me keen, cheers for the help!! :-)

Very little, if anything, is as good as Tamiya at the top of their game. However, Fujimi make a lot more kits of a lot more cars than Tamiya do. In my experience, based on street rather than F1 cars, Fujimi's kits fit into three categories:

1) "Enthusiast Model" series, which are fantastically complicated, with incredible detail, but sometimes hard to put together because the engineering is accurate to the real thing, which mean, for example that the suspension and engine parts on the 288 GTO need to go together perfectly to make sure the wheels all sit on the ground.

2) Regular kits, which mostly fit together well, have good detail, but aren't quite so hard to do as the enthusiast models -- like the Dino 246 or F355.

3) Occasional "oversimplified" kits. Opinions differ on these. Many people complain about 1-piece interior tubs or missing engine detail. Personally, I can't find much to object to in the end results from the F12 Berlinetta and Aventador I built, and I challenge anyone to tell that the are simplified from a couple of feet away, without picking them up and getting the loupe out.

All the Fujimi kits I've built fit together well, have crisp detail, and look the part when done. Some have required more modelling skill than others, but that's part of the fun, right? What they don't have is the "foolproof" design and engineering that state of the art Tamiya kits have -- things like engineering the parts breakdown of the lights not just to be easy to assemble, but easy to paint as well! With a Fujimi kit it's ALWAYS worth dry fitting and thinking through your assembly rather than taking the instructions as gospel.

bestest,

M.

Edited by cmatthewbacon

Simple answer - recent stuff - not a patch.

New kits are also VASTLY over priced for a fairly empty box of bits that builds a somewhat basic model.

Not impressed in the least.

Hasegawa leave newer Fujimi in the dust.

The older Fujimi enthusiast kits - flippin' awesome!

Roy.

• 3 months later...

I've just ordered the Fujimi Mclaren F1. I hope it's a good kit, as it is my favourite road car (even more than my Elise!)

Edit: Looks a bit average, unfortunately... http://www.1999.co.jp/image/10227113n/40/1 no engine detail, and doors either up or closed. Let's hope the aftermarket companies get their teeth into it!

Edited by injidup