Fulda Gap 1972/73 – Cold War Group Build

Just been trying to fill in time on shift and came up with an interesting idea for another group build…….though resin one has to be first.

During the Cold War and especially at its peak East and West Germany would be the great meeting ground for NATO and Warsaw Pact, with the most likely spot being the “Fulda Gap”!

The Fulda Gap was the hypothetical ideal strike point for Soviet forces to strike deep into West Germany and towards the Rhine. This area was smooth and flat which was ideal for swift mechanize warfare and would provide a chance to split the NATO forces in half.

With the 72/73 time frame it was an era just prior to the NATO forces moving to the weaponry more commonly seen now. Around that time the “heavy metal” weapon systems of the late 60’s were still at the fore front of both forces.

In the air you had the classic F-4’s, F-104’s, Lightning’s, and Mirage 5’s facing off against Mig-21/23’s, Su-15’s and the new “King of the Hill” the Mig-25.

Strike aircraft Harrier’s, Jaguar’s, Buccaneer’s, A-7’s, Mirage F1’s, and the new F-111’s while the Soviet forces had Su-11/17/20’s, Mig-21/23’s.

On the ground you had Chieftain’s, Leopard 1’s,AMX-30’s, M60’s, Scorpion’s, and M-113’s facing off against T-64’s, T-72’s, BMD-1’s, and BMP-1’s.

These would have been just the main protagonists in conflict of this scale, with a conflict broadening a little the Viggen, Drakens, and S-Tanks become eligible to name a couple. I know there will be a few who are a bit sad they can’t bring their early Tonka’s, Eagles, Falcons, A-10’s along, but that would be too easy.

With a build like this the choice of subject matter is quite large and there’s bound to be some all time favorites in this list, F-4E’s for me!

Just wanted to throw another idea into the hat to see what people think, can either be an all inclusive air/ground GB, or could just be broken up into separate air and ground GB’s if the numbers are there.

RESIN RESIN RESIN!!! :P

Now I am showing my ignorance here, would a Chieftain Mk.I be included in this? AFV's are not really my strong point but I do have a healthy respect and interest in them (blame World of Tanks) and it'll be the excuse I need to finally buy an Tamiya 1/35 model. :banghead:

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Now I am showing my ignorance here, would a Chieftain Mk.I be included in this? AFV's are not really my strong point but I do have a healthy respect and interest in them (blame World of Tanks) and it'll be the excuse I need to finally buy an Tamiya 1/35 model. :banghead:

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Yeap she allowed in, if I've correct they entered service in 1965, but I'm not sure up to what Mk they were up to in 72/73, thou someone here will know.

Yeap she allowed in, if I've correct they entered service in 1965, but I'm not sure up to what Mk they were up to in 72/73, thou someone here will know.

Sorry it's the Mk V Tamiya make and that I saw... either way I am sure I can find something for the time period in the AFV range. :)

I'm in... lets see what all the fuss is about with this "big boy" models :P

Kind Regards

Dazz

You might be ok with this one, have been trying to find out a bit more about this.

The MK V was announced in 1970, so after development 72/73 may be alright.

Though I have also read the Tamiya version is not quite correct and is closer to the Mk III which was in active service then. One of the AFV boy's (and girls) are bound to have all the info.

Though in this case I don't think anyone would give you that much grief over if it's a Mk III or V.

The idea behind this build was to recall as I call the "old heavy metal" equipment of the late 60's and very early 70's. Right before the change over to the next generation of weaponry.