WW2 French Aircraft Colours (Vallejo)

dr_gn

This is from Vallejo MA_CC071_rev07.pdf catalog I have on my PC. On their website I can now find only rev05 and rev11 which funnily don't have this table of recommended colors by countries.

Since it's Model Air, add 71. before the numbers in the table, f.eg. 71.043.

HTH,

Vedran

uair1u0656k4qxpvw5kg.jpg

• Like 1

This is from Vallejo MA_CC071_rev07.pdf catalog I have on my PC. On their website I can now find only rev05 and rev11 which funnily don't have this table of recommended colors by countries.

Since it's Model Air, add 71. before the numbers in the table, f.eg. 71.043.

HTH,

Vedran

uair1u0656k4qxpvw5kg.jpg

Brilliant - thanks very much for posting.

A note on the French Hawk 75. It appears that Vert (green) rather than Khaki (brown-green) was used on the Hawks. Also, they were painted at depo level, as they arrived in NMF. No two were alike and the color tones varied greatly.

Thanks guys - any idea of a Vallejo reference for the version with 'sand' or light brown in the upper scheme? There seems to be two camo versions:

Green/Grey/Brown

Green/Brown/Sand

Thanks.

As far as I know, the Hawk 75 was camouflaged only in Dark Blue-Gray, Brown and green on top with Lt. Blue-Gray undersides.

I've not come across a reference for one with sand.

Edited by Steven Eisenman

For that FS 30257 noted in the kit instructions Vallejo says Model Color 977 or Model Air 027 Earth Yellow.

I don't know if the FS number is the correct French color.

Vedran

Much appreciated. Thank You.

BTW it's for this kit I'm building:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234939775-special-hobby-172-curtiss-hawk-h-75/

• 4 years later...

Such a lot of water under this particular bridge, but... please can you help?

I'm building a SMER 1:72 Bloch MB-152 with my son. I just started painting, using the colour references above, starting with Vallejo dark blue grey 71.005. This really is a dark slate colour which doesn't tie up with the upper-body grey on any of the images of French WW2 scale models I've seen online. The online images seem to show the grey on the topside barely darker than the under-wing grey.

Strangely the humbrol reference I found here http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorcharts/stuff_eng_colorcharts_france.htm   79 & 144 is also really dark slate too. 

Shall I just get on with it and shut up, or mix my own, or...?

AFAIK, there was never any official directive sanctioning the use of a sand colour on any Vichy aircraft, the only reference I have ever seen being the cover of the Osprey AoA dedicated to French aces (but the profile of the same aircraft in the book was reproduced in the usual green/brown /grey in subsequent Osprey publications).

Not sure where this idea of the use of a sand colour comes from...

PS: Sorry, just seen now that it was an old post!!!!

Edited by Super Aereo

I suspect the accepted use of a sand colour comes from a profile in Flying Review in the 60s.  There this came from I don't know.

For the dark grey colour I'd look at Colour Coats French range, or use what you have that keeps you happy.  I've not seen this colour represented as having a green tinge in any source I've seen - which does not run to original paints!

For those preferring acrylics, Hataka do a six pot set for the "early French WW2 air force".

I can vouch for the quality of the paint but not for the colour accuracy in this instance, though I'd put money on it being a lot closer than Vallejo.

John.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

I've actually now used the dark grey and it looks completely wrong. But I have more French planes to build and I've ordered the Hataka set now. I'm never sure when I'm going to stop learning and start actually making models which will be worth showing!

Re the sand debate above: I saw somewhere that the standard colours for fighters were grey, green, dark brown where the green was either an olive or a fairly vivid forest green, but the standard colours for bombers were grey, dark brown and sand. ? My Smer Breguet 693 (tank buster/heavy fighter) asks for this colour scheme. see link to image of a completed Smer Breguet   http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/Smer_1_72_Breguet_Br693_0844__about8184.html

1 hour ago, Ben said:

Thanks to everyone for your help.

I've actually now used the dark grey and it looks completely wrong. But I have more French planes to build and I've ordered the Hataka set now. I'm never sure when I'm going to stop learning and start actually making models which will be worth showing!

Re the sand debate above: I saw somewhere that the standard colours for fighters were grey, green, dark brown where the green was either an olive or a fairly vivid forest green, but the standard colours for bombers were grey, dark brown and sand. ? My Smer Breguet 693 (tank buster/heavy fighter) asks for this colour scheme. see link to image of a completed Smer Breguet   http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/Smer_1_72_Breguet_Br693_0844__about8184.html

Hello :)

Lifecolor do a very nice range of French colours (acrylics).

Just type 'Lifecolor French Paints' into Google.

I've got all of them and have used them; they're ok with a hairy stick or airbrush.

I think the colour you're looking for is what they call 'Sand Grey';

https://www.bnamodelworld.com/lifecolor-lc-ua144-acrylic-paint-french-sandgrey-22ml-fs-33448?zenid=35ba6c34315378910cf4fb49a6169d3a

This is just my local stockist (sold out) , but lots of places sell it; ref: UA144.

Best regards

TonyT