Douglas Invader, Operation Farmgate

Hi Everyone, just thought I`d show you my Monogram 1/48 scale Invader which I modified to represent an Air Commandos B-28B of Operation Farmgate .

f4rP7Hs.jpg

based at Bien Hoa Air Base, South Vietnam in the early 1960`s

p5o8cXS.jpg

The kit started life as a clear nosed B-28C, which I converted with a `Cutting Edge` 6 gun nose.

uShHOrd.jpg

scratch built weapons pylons, reworked antenna and some suitable stores from the spares box and

AJJr4uz.jpg

the bogus South Vietnamese markings came from a Skyraider sheet

uo8A4ty.jpg

Hope you enjoy looking at.

• Like 8

Really Nice work on a great subject......Where do you find the time to come out with master pieces after master pieces........

Great to see and most of your subject areas are close to the heart "Nam"

Rgds

Mr B

• Like 1

Believe it or not, about halfway through their deployment they realized the spars were corroded (losing two airplanes to wing loss will make you check that) and ended up putting a spar brace around the wing - 1/4" thick steel. put right on top the wing at the spar, no "smooothing out" or any of that - and flew them. Info from a friend who was one of the pilots. I've often thought of doing a Farm Gate Invader with that modification done with Evergreen strip, and then let people tell me it's not possible.

Very nice work here on your take of the topic.

• Like 1

Believe it or not, about halfway through their deployment they realized the spars were corroded (losing two airplanes to wing loss will make you check that) and ended up putting a spar brace around the wing - 1/4" thick steel. put right on top the wing at the spar, no "smooothing out" or any of that - and flew them. Info from a friend who was one of the pilots. I've often thought of doing a Farm Gate Invader with that modification done with Evergreen strip, and then let people tell me it's not possible.

Very nice work here on your take of the topic.

Hi Tom, Cheers for that info`, I knew about them losing wings but not about the steel strap, also, apparently I read somewhere that they were limited on what `G`s they could pull as the gunners sight and mount was a load bearing structure and was removed during a refit at some point.