Bomber Commands Lumbering Twin - Frog 1/72 Whitley

Last night, the fuselage was joined up at the front. This morning, I've been sorting the rear end. I've worked off the Ian Huntley drawings and despite previous indication on Britmodeller that the rear fuselage was correct, I've widened it a few mm and it now matches the drawings. Obviously, I don't know how accurate the drawings are, but they're good enough for me. Here's pictures of the drawings and the rear fuselage with a plug to widen it. General Melchie has a spare Revell Lanc FN20 that he's sending over (thanks Andy :) ), so I've borrowed one from one I've built that I'll use to get everything lined up. When I get the other, I'm going to be fettling it and redoing the framework, however this seems to be a can of worms which I'll come back to in a minute.

38_zpse50b8d25.jpg

39_zps10ea4b2a.jpg

Now onto the FN4 turret. I've been speaking with Ed Russell by pm and the conclusion that we seem to of come to is that the FN4 had different designs in respect of the glassware. See these links here which have FN4's, but with very different shapes and framework. If anyone can shed any light on these differences, I'll be very interested. Looking at pictures of Whitleys ont net, I'm confident that the Revell FN20 can be made to look like the later FN4's used on the Whitley by just redoing the framework using Solar trim.

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?93298-Heads-Up-Ebay-gt-Stirling-rear-turret-FN4

http://www.lancaster-archive.com/manc_rear_turret.htm

http://www.pegelsoft.nl/gun.htm

Cheers, Neil

Thanks guys :)

Started to work on the tail feathers. The detail on them is pretty vague, so I've rescribed the lines and used brown packing tape which is nice and thin to give the fabric effect. A bit more primer build up when I've done them all will improve the effect. Now one thing I've noticed against the drawings is that the tails are far too small. Having looked at some pics of the fly kit comparisons, they appear to be the same size as the Frog kit so something is wrong somewhere. I did try to extend one of the tails yesterday by adding a section on, but I wasn't happy with it. Might create new ones from scratch. Can anyone enlighten the situation on this before I do too much work ?

The top tail plane has only been rescribed, the others ribbed

40_zpsb78d799c.jpg

42_zpsed1148af.jpg

On the kit, the air flow deflectors infront of the turret are moulded into the fuselage. I've cut these out and will make new ones. Here you can see a Revell FN20 turret from a Lanc positioned and the rear fuselage fettled to take it. Referring to the drawings, the fuselage base on which the turret sits is far too deep on the kit making the turret sit too high, so this was simply filed down. The Revell turret looks good in proportions in comparison to the FN4 drawn on the sheet, just a tad too wide but I can live with that. You will notice some extra windows that photo's and the drawings show but aren't included in the kit.

41_zps75df27a8.jpg

• Like 2

The turret sits in there very nicely, "tidy" as my dear old Welsh M-I-L used to say

Looking at the plan, yerss guv, that fin needs the bin and the rudder needs another

Why not laminate a couple of suitable thicknesses of polycard to give you plenty of modelling meat to play with? You may recall that's how I did the twin fins for the Sherpa

Cut out the shapes and hold them together after the inner layer of glue has dried I used Revell Contacta for mine

I hear there's more choice than that, but it's what I have got. I don't advocate liquid poly for this, it dries far too quickly. Contacta lets the faces get sticky before the sides meet ;)

b

Just found this thread, I very much like the way you have handled the wings with the rescribe and ribbing it's certainly brought it alive, well done.

Colin

hcoptergb_zps20a09ba41_zpsfbccc826.jpg

Cheers guys.

Bill, I hear what yer saying, I tried doing a 'fin extension' using that very method, but it didn't hold very well as I tried to do the sanding on it, so complete new fins will be the way forwards. Looking at picture comparisons of the Fly and Frog kits, Fly seem to of got this wrong too. I haven't got the kit so can't confirm this, if anyone else has, might be worth having a check.

Cheers, Neil

Great job so far - I'll second the comments about attention to detail. I'll be referring to this when I do mine.

We'll have to agree to disagree about "Does my bum look fat in that".

The turret air deflectors are actually cut into the side of the fuselage. Perhaps you could scribe them?

I think the drawings are correct here in the side view. This shows it nicely

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mickb6265/4427772880/

Got the wings on now and the joins smoothed over.

43_zpsa9a9bee5.jpg

Started on replacing the tails as the kit parts are much smaller than the drawings. I'll be using the tip given by Perdu above. The location tabs for the tails are to one side, so this allows for making each tail up from two sheets of plasticard, one with the tab. Next job is to glue them together then fettle them to shape before adding the ribs.

44_zps1d58a26e.jpg

• Like 2

After dreading making the new tails, they aint looking bad. Last job on the tail feathers is to add the remaining ribbing before gluing together.

46_zps94c50396.jpg

Here is the new one compared to the old one, quite a big difference in size.

45_zpse16f6eb4.jpg

• Like 2

Looking good mate, the requested parts are winging their way to you as we speak...

Thanks mate :)

Told you so

New tail feathers makes all the difference, bootiful work

b

You certainly did....teach me he did :)

Thanks guys.

Got the tail feathers ribbed last night and primed, really pleased with how they came out. In the end I resorted to solar trim instead of the brown tape that I did the first tail plane with as it's much easier to handle. Will get a bit more primer yet to smooth out the ribs a little.

47_zpsa1b8c994.jpg

• Like 2