Bomber Commands Lumbering Twin - Frog 1/72 Whitley

I`m amazed how you make even the ropiest of old kits look like a crisp new tooling before you start to glue them together, I`m really looking forward to watching this one take shape,

Go for it Neil,....

All the best mate

Tony O

• Like 1

Flippin' eck Neil, thats looking really good. I love the way you patiently bring out the best in these old kits.

(so when you were a kid thumbing through your Hannants catalogues, didn't your mother catch you and warn that 'you'll go blind if you keep doing that'?)

Cheers

John

A real modeller wouldn't make as many mistakes as I do !!!!!

False modesty! :tease: We all make mistakes mate - and learn from them (unless we fail to acknowledge them of course), and you'd never know you were cocking it up :wicked: Those engines are proper droopy, aren't they? :wacko:

Hi Neil,

Your kit looks awful! :winkgrin: so far, which therefore means you've done some magnificent work on your build of that ugly contraption called a Whitley. I hope you do the Heller Amiot 143 kit next since I think they would look terrific together.

Cheers,

Daniel.

Now there's a thought..hmmmm

Flippin' eck Neil, thats looking really good. I love the way you patiently bring out the best in these old kits.

(so when you were a kid thumbing through your Hannants catalogues, didn't your mother catch you and warn that 'you'll go blind if you keep doing that'?)

Cheers

John

She probably felt slightly relieved to be giving that type of advice over this type of magazine :lol:

False modesty! :tease: We all make mistakes mate - and learn from them (unless we fail to acknowledge them of course), and you'd never know you were cocking it up :wicked: Those engines are proper droopy, aren't they? :wacko:

I'm sure they were drunk when designing those nacelles, everything is at a roody angle other than perpendicular !

I'm calling the engines done now...well until I find something else wrong !!!

Been doing this on and off today around doing something similar on a larger scale....DIY.....boo hoo. The tiny inlets below the exhausts were scratch build from plastic strip, the carburettor intakes were left overs from a Lanc. In the end, the engines proved far more challenging that I first thought, but I'm pleased with how they've turned out. Compared to the kit parts, they're a vast improvement. Also started on preparing the fuselage for the Falcon stuff and opened the door. Paul (Honeybee) reminded me of this build which is a bible for anyone wanting to build a Whitley, lots of interior build pics with more detail than you can believe:

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?105300-A-Whitley-story-in-scale

24_zps5a7bf699.jpg

25_zps8bfee9ac.jpg

26_zps83787768.jpg

27_zps9613d393.jpg

28_zps33d39d0d.jpg

Hi Andy,

The lip is but a memory now and planning to centralise the window yes. Also aiming to cut away the Falcon front transparency and create a turret. bit's I'm stuck with at the moment:

1. Props - kit parts are too small. Lanc props are correct diameter, but wrong design. Also tried scratching some hubs from spare Revell Halifax ones but not enough meat on them to get the necessary profile

2. Wheels - hubs are bland. Looking for ways to spruce them up.

3. Rear turret - tried filing the frames off the falcon part but no joy. Will either have to live with inaccuracy or fabricate new one but this is more difficult due to complex recesses where the guns poke out of.

Decided to go with the extra decal set for T4284 (ZG-E).... I think ! I do have decals for N1380 and was quite inspired by a story by the sister of the rear gunner who was killed on the aircrafts last mission. This was also believed to be the first aircraft to drop bombs on Germany and wears the camouflage down to the lower sides.

Hi Neil,

Blimey, I only saw this the other day and you'd barely started... fantastic progress so far and very speedy!

The wings look brilliant; I think the added surface detail adds much life to an old kit - the engines have come out well too.

Really enjoying this - I'll stop by next week and she'll be done :)

Tom

• Like 1

Try John at Aeroclub mate, he's helped me out with the Overstrand, Heyford, etc and might just have the correct props......worth an ask. The wheels aren't too much of a problem, I use a set of punches I got off evil-bay for a few quid, just choose your size, thinnest card you can get, big hammer and way you go, also helps to add a bit of depth, the kits one are a bit anaemic, but then so were the real things, looked like they belonged on a wheelbarra'...oh hang on ...they did !!..The rear turret's a bit more difficult, I'd just go with the vac and re frame with decal strip....I'm sure you'll work it out. (All good stuff for my mk III ......I'll let you do the hard work ! :tomato: )....

• Like 1

OK, managed to get one of the engines corrected with the old Aeroclub metal exhausts last night. I think they were Hurricane ones if memory serves me correct. The old Whitley was built in a time before t'internet when Hannants used to have a thick catalogue that I used to spend days trawling through, highlighting all the stuff I needed, then posting a cheque. Anyone remember those days ? Thanks god things have moved on, I'm pretty sure their catalogue is responsible for my poor eyesight now lol !!!!

I get rather nostalgic for the old Hannants catalogue. Still, time passes...

This is looking good Neil, well up to your usual high standards of modelling.

Cheers

• Like 1

Neil, sorry I haven't got any on models to show you at the mo as one's the Hendon, (which Paul has) and the other three are in a museum however I've copied Stuarts Buccaneer ones as a backup for my kit which give you an idea. They are dead easy to use, choose the size you need then literally put the tool over the card on a hard even surface, (I use a plate of old scrap iron), and give a light tap with a small hammer, the holes in the shank are for popping out the discs...and hey presto a wheel hub, then use the other tools to cut out concentric rings, not as hard as it may sound, took me less than 15 minutes to cut, sand and drill out this wheel hub, They come in all sorts of sizes...I just got as many as I could to cover all eventualities...hope this helps...

A few of the punches in the range

P1150353.jpg

The hub to the left was copied from the brass ones in the kit, which also served as templates and started life as the disc on the right,

P1150354.jpg

Melchie

• Like 1

That's great Andy, I'll look to invest. The tool box is getting progressively bigger !

Thanks John, I've pm'd John Aero, but I'll do a search to see if I can get a couple of these :)

Cheers

Neil

Got some punches ordered :)

Done a bit more over the weekend, started to fit out the interior. Won't be mega detailed or accurate, but just enough to add interest when looking in. Still plenty to add in yet though. I robbed the seats out of the old one rather than making new ones. Armour and arm rests added, although just dry fitted at the moment.

29_zpsdeb09845.jpg

30_zps88370bd7.jpg

• Like 1

This is coming along brilliantly Neil. The prop hubs look similar to one of the ones used on Hurricanes, I'm not an expert though its just what they remind me of, I've been trying to find one to check against my plans and instead found a really old FW 190 prop hub which although would need extending at the back is, as far as I can tell,pretty close to the whitley profile.

w1_zps25d230e5.jpg

w3_zpsd33d4e34.jpg

There would probably be an easier solution though as I imagine it would be a pain to extend the rear (I'm not really sure how you would go about it) but its just an idea. I'm looking forward to seeing how you go about the front turret :).

Hope ya well mate and looking forward to seeing more

Callum

• Like 1

Callum, that looks great, a bit of Miliput could extend them without too much difficulty, just the issue of trying to source 2. I noticed when stripping the old one down that I'd used after market Hurricane Rotols and Hubs, but the prop diameter is too small as well as the hub, so perhaps getting some spares from a Wellington might be a better option if there is a Mk.II knocking around. I've checked both the Revell and MB Halifax's and neither provide the solution.

I can't even remember what 190 kit the hub is from, it could be Airfix

Idon't know how much these would cost though if they are still available

http://www.internetmodeler.com/2000/february/new-releases/cmk-48th.htm

MPM did a MK II Wimpy. Comes with all the parts to be able to make a mkIc if you raided the mkII hubs

http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=5010

I found references online that Modelcraft may have done a MKII as well (modified an old Frog mold?)

I'm sure you will find a solution that the rest of us can all copy when it comes to building our own.

Have fun

Cal

Hmmm, need to think on the props, thanks :)

Not done much this week as been pretty mad with work but the interior is pretty much done now. Last pics before sewing the fuselage up. There's some creativity in the detail but not much will be seen under the heavily framed cockpit.

31_zps65737220.jpg

37_zps136827fc.jpg

34_zps3c9a387e.jpg

35_zps70565db2.jpg

36_zps771c533d.jpg

32_zps1ec3b4ac.jpg

33_zps552ab555.jpg

• Like 2