Martin Baker Mk 4 vs Mk 5 (USN) ejection seats -visually much different?

...they are similar in construction in that both have the soft chute pack in an open metal shell. That's probably their visually most distinctive feature. Of course there are lots of differences on other ways... I don't think the Mk. 4 seat was used by the USN though...

Jeffrey

Yes they do look different. The MK4 was basically a UK seat but MB developed the MK5 to USN specifications.

USN Did not use the MK4 as far as I am aware.

Julien

Yes they do look different. The MK4 was basically a UK seat but MB developed the MK5 to USN specifications.

USN Did not use the MK4 as far as I am aware.

Julien

Cheers chaps - I know the USN didn't use the 4, was just hoping it was close enough visually to a 5 to get away with it...

Jonners

Jonners, It depends what you are making. The early A5, Cougar trainer L5, Sea Star P5 Skyray M5 Demon and N5 Fury FJ.4 are very similar to the JP.3 seat with the soft pack. The later 5's with the half metal shell have rounded thigh guards.

John

I hear rounded thigh guards are the latest 'retro' style!

bob

p.s. I can't make a REAL contribution because I've pondered the same thing. Thanks to the Academy F-4B I now have still more options for my poor old Hasegawa one!

Cheers chaps - I know the USN didn't use the 4, was just hoping it was close enough visually to a 5 to get away with it...

Jonners

I think the main visual difference was that the U.S. Navy Mk 5 had short straps for the torso harness rather than the full harness of the British seat. Although John has raised a differentiation of which I was unaware...

Jonners, It depends what you are making. The early A5, Cougar trainer L5, Sea Star P5 Skyray M5 Demon and N5 Fury FJ.4 are very similar to the JP.3 seat with the soft pack. The later 5's with the half metal shell have rounded thigh guards.

John

hi John its an early production F-4B. I was just hoping the MK 4 could be used, as I have a pair and it will save me modifying the Academy kit Mk7s back to the Mark 5. Im trying to build a model that doesnt involve me cutting bits of it up for once!! :)

Cheers

Jonners

Im trying to build a model that doesnt involve me cutting bits of it up for once!! :)

Cheers

Jonners

The horror! You are not going all OOB on us are you! :o

I thought that I read somewhere that the Mk 5 was simply a Mk 4 that was beefed up for Naval service, to handle the forces of carrier landings better. The same holds true for the Mk 6 and Mk 7 seats. I think none of it was visible to the naked eye.

I think I just sorted the problem - courtesy of Hypersonic models - and I got some nose intake corrections and some very nifty unslotted stabs too. All for £20. Happy Days

Cheers for everyones help . Much appreciated

Jonners

Glad I could help!

But if I understand you correctly, you are saying that my prices are too cheap... :coolio:

Jeffrey

• Like 1

The horror! You are not going all OOB on us are you! :o

well, uhm, yes. Apart from the resin bang seats, stabs and nose intakes, and a bit of added detail in the 'pit. But as the Academy kit comes in so many parts, I kind of feel at home anyway! :)

Jonners

• 7 years later...
On 7/6/2020 at 12:19 PM, Planebuilder62 said:

Hi there

I have a couple of 1/72 Mk4 seats, is the headbox area very similar to the Mk5 that was used in the Norwegian Sabre`s and Thunderflashes?

regards Toby

"Similar" is somewhat in the eye of the beholder, but for my tuppence: if you can't source an MB Mk5, the closest model in appearance is the Mk 6, followed by the Mk 7, then the Mk 4 (again, IMHO and bearing in mind these are all very rough comparisons).  I'd take for granted that a Mk 7 is the farthest you would have to go since kit and aftermarket seats for the Phantom are ubiquitous.

You can browse the seat gallery on the Ejection Site to draw your own conclusions:

http://www.ejectionsite.com

The "products" section of Martin Baker's own site also includes images of the various models you can tab through:

Martin Baker - Products

Edited by CT7567