B 24 in flight.

tank152

The Collings Foundation was just here at John Wayne airport, best 500.00 I ever spent, the B-24 is an amazing aircraft, and being able to fly over my favorite surf spot was a nice treat also. Last Fall, Fifi the CAF B-29 flew over, equipped with brand new turbo supercharged engines, that was incredible too. I hope to fly in that one also, but they don't give rides like the Collings Foundation does.

Cheers

The Collings Foundation was just here at John Wayne airport, best 500.00 I ever spent, the B-24 is an amazing aircraft, and being able to fly over my favorite surf spot was a nice treat also. Last Fall, Fifi the CAF B-29 flew over, equipped with brand new turbo supercharged engines, that was incredible too. I hope to fly in that one also, but they don't give rides like the Collings Foundation does.

Cheers

You've had a flight in that B-24, I'm not :jealous:, much! That must have been some experiance, how long was the flight?

Tim.

You've had a flight in that B-24, I'm not :jealous:, much! That must have been some experiance, how long was the flight?

Tim.

About 30 minutes, you had a choice between a ride in their B-17 or the B-24 which has always been my favorite, more headroom too. If you had 2,500.00 you could get yourself an hour in the TP-51B. The interior is authentic, you could even stand at the side gunner's station where the big M2 Browning 50 cal is mounted. A lot of old vets showed up with incredible stories, just amazing. I think this is the only flying B-24 in the world, what a piece of history. The Collings aircraft come here same time every year, if you can afford to get to Newport Beach next year you can book a flight, otherwise just enjoy the videos.

Cheers

About 30 minutes, you had a choice between a ride in their B-17 or the B-24 which has always been my favorite, more headroom too. If you had 2,500.00 you could get yourself an hour in the TP-51B. The interior is authentic, you could even stand at the side gunner's station where the big M2 Browning 50 cal is mounted. A lot of old vets showed up with incredible stories, just amazing. I think this is the only flying B-24 in the world, what a piece of history. The Collings aircraft come here same time every year, if you can afford to get to Newport Beach next year you can book a flight, otherwise just enjoy the videos.

Cheers

30 minutes that will be with you for the rest of your life, I bet the smell and sounds of it will as well. Yes I like the B-24 as well, its just a shame its always over shadowed by the B-17, I suppose its the same as the Hurricane was with the Spitfire.

Tim.

. I think this is the only flying B-24 in the world, what a piece of history.

Not so. The Confederate/Commemorative Air Force also has a B-24A named "Diamond Lil." They changed the name for a while, but I believe it recently went back. I saw it fly back in 2006. There is also a B-24J in Florida at the Fantasy of Flight museum that is still airworthy, but hasn't flown since sometime in the 1990s.

Edited by Skull Leader

Not so. The Confederate/Commemorative Air Force also has a B-24A named "Diamond Lil." They changed the name for a while, but I believe it recently went back. I saw it fly back in 2006. There is also a B-24J in Florida at the Fantasy of Flight museum that is still airworthy, but hasn't flown since sometime in the 1990s.

Supposedly it is the only one flying today, that is what they said. there is a difference between being airworthy and actually flying, which is exceptionally expensive. They have a great many backers who invest in these aircraft, whereas many museums do not get the support needed to keep these warbirds flying. I was lucky to be able to be inside both the 24 and the 17. I met a tail gunner whose B-17 was sawed in half over Berlin by another B-17 rammed by an FW 190, he was the only survivor. He can't remember what happened after the tail section fell off, all he knew was that he knew was that one minute he was watching the flak, then the next minute he was floating down in his parachute into a very angry crowd of farmers ready to pitch fork him to death. I couldn't help but think about how much we love WWII history, but for these guys it was hell.

Cheers

Pretty sure Diamond 'Lil is still flying also. Having served as part of the restoration team for the B-29 "Doc" (and learning what its going to take for us to get her back in the air) I have some idea of what goes into restoring a warbird to flying status and actually getting her in the air.

Edited by Skull Leader

Diamond Lil is currently in the shop, still recovering from skinning her chin after a nosewheel failure on landing last year. She's still on the roster for the Hamilton, Ontario airshow next month, but I would be very surprised if she makes it.

The Collings Liberator is the only B-24J currently flying, and the only only flying Lib in complete wartime bomber configuration, but Lil is definitely still a B-24.

The Collings aircraft was just recently polished up to remove several years of oxidation from the surface of the paint. Personallly, I preferred the grungy weathered look, but of course they have to keep her pretty for her public.

That's what an airplane is *supposed* to sound like

Amen! Jets make noise, radials make music.

SN

Edited by Steve N