A tale of two Phantoms - an odyssey about to begin...

I'll hopefully be catering for everything - although essentially the wings are more, or less, the same for modelling purposes...

It's going to be a suck it and see - like many of us I've been wanting to build a large scale Brit toom since, well, forever - and in the absence of a kit/decent conversion I thought I may as well crack on...

Still pulling stuff together and a couple of things I want to clear off the decks before I cut styrene...

But - it's only plastic - how hard can it be?? smile.png

Iain

I'll hopefully be catering for everything - although essentially the wings are more, or less, the same for modelling purposes...

It's going to be a suck it and see - like many of us I've been wanting to build a large scale Brit toom since, well, forever - and in the absence of a kit/decent conversion I thought I may as well crack on...

Still pulling stuff together and a couple of things I want to clear off the decks before I cut styrene...

But - it's only plastic - how hard can it be?? smile.png

Iain

Brilliant Idea!

I will look forward to the imminent release of the Tamiya Spey Engined Toom in 1:32 that will be announced within 8 hours of you breaking the back of your build odyssey! :popcorn:

• Like 2

Hells bells! That bit of reference I've sent you (if you know what I mean ;) ), better get to you soon, or you'll have them after you!

Sean

• Like 1

Oh if only that box art was for real. Nice job on it Iain. Now, about those few things you need to clear off the workbench, how am I supposed to berate you for not finishing the Super Connie & Lightning when I really want to watch these take shape!?!

• Like 1

Artwork was a quick lash-up in Photoshop - no pretence made to make it look real - but thought it might result in a few wry smiles :)

FG Mk 1 will be in 892 colours - I think it looks just awesome jacked up and on the bridle ready to launch from HMS Ark Royal - which is what I'm intending for mine.

Not sure what colours to do the 'M' (FGR Mk 2) - suggestions welcomed - but leaning towards grey/green rather than later greys.

I have a spare fuselage to 'play' with courtesy of Ted Taylor and it's about time I did something with the C/D kit - I bought it through Edgar Brooks when first released ('95/96?). Seeing the 'J' going cheap at the Gloucester show sealed the plan to make a matched pair.

And I already have a built RAF 'J' on the shelf - so have 'previous' with the Tamiya kits...

Iain

Good luck with those!

For the FGR.2 wotabout a 2 Sqn machine in matt grey/green. For variety didn't some have red I stead of white in the squadron markings?

Trevor

• Like 1

Good luck with those!

For the FGR.2 wotabout a 2 Sqn machine in matt grey/green. For variety didn't some have red I stead of white in the squadron markings?

Trevor

Beat me to it Trevor I was going to suggest exactly the same! Go on Iain you know it makes sense (well two of us think it does!) I think the red/black was fairly short lived (IIRC Richard Ward gives dates in his Phantom Squadrons book) but was to my mind the best squadron marking to be carried by the mighty Toom!

keef

That *would * be cheap!

Actually £60 - but very good value for a 1:32 Royal Navy F-4K I thought...

:)

Iain

Bargain - you should have got two - the other one would have made you a fortune on e-bay...!! :winkgrin: