1/32 Tamyia Corsair Birdcage

Trubbie

It seems that the new Corsair is due for imminent release with pictures of it on the web. It certainly looks a splendid kit and I'm sure that it's accurate in most respects (if it isn't the Yanks will tear Tamiya apart) and will come with a hefty price tag. Unfortunately for me, this isn't an aeroplane that I would choose to model, preferring instead a European subject, ideally the Hurricane MkI or the Spitfire MkI but you can bet your life that because the P 51 sold well in America, and this Corsair will follow suit, the next choice will be a P47. Pity.

What a remarkable attitude. You sound as if you resent anyone releasing subjects that you don't personally find interesting.

Hundreds of kits are released every year that I have no interest in building. But I have not found it necessary to regret the existence of a single one, if it is well-executed.

Personally I have very little interest in Japanese stuff, or armour, for example. But it pleases me greatly if such kits do well for their makers. If they do well, they enrich my life because the profits from them support the manufacturers, the distributors, the shops, the aftermarket suppliers and every other part of the infrastructure that supports my hobby.

If Tamiya couldn't make money doing high quality Japanese and American subjects, they would not be in a position to do high quality British ones.

The only kits that are to be regretted are those which do not represent what they set out to represent, or which don't fit together properly, or which lose money for their makers and drag down their businesses.

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 3

I can't fault Tamiya's choice this time, this will be the first 'decent' 1/32 birdcage corsair. the 2 Trumpeter kits weren't too bad. I can see this new kit being the basis of the whole Corsair family....... and I guess they would all sell well, especially in the states...

As for European subjects I can still see them doing an early Spit, but surely everything else has been, or is due to be done ?? There' a damn good Hurricane out there, a Typhoon, 2 Tempests due out later in the year.... Mind you, it would be nice if Airfix could scale down that big Mossie to 1/32....... :hmmm:

Things are even better if you like German stuff....... not a lot you can't get there......

So it's nice to see something a bit different..... :clap2: As for me, I've got one on order, and I've started saving........ :blink:

Dave :coolio:

Edited by DaveH

I couldn't agree more with the above statement (Work In Progress). Hits the nail on the head. :winkgrin:

I always look forward to what Tamiya produce because you know that the quality will exceed their last offering. :analintruder:

As for the Corsair................................................. SWMBO says NO........... :shithappens: .....Can't win 'em all :doh:

Edited by jenko

As above really, yes I`d love to see Tamiya do a Hurricane but the Corsair is a good subject too and some Birdcage Corsairs did operate in the UK with the Fleet Air Arm in a training and evaluation role, with later versions flying operations from carriers, especially off Norway.

Unfortunately I won`t be able to afford one of these new kits if the price of the recent P-51K Mustang kit is anything to go by (£130?), but I`m happy for those who can (lucky devils) and it should be a fantastic kit.

Cheers

Tony O

Some good pics on HS. 1/32nd not my scale in any way, but this kit could swing it for me as the only one I'd do.....maybe!

• Like 1

The next 1/32 subject we might see from Tamiya l think would be a Fw-190A6-8? Sure Hasegawa is a good kit but Tamiya would give you the full engine plane, Something that has not been done. A Hurricane could be possible too.

Revell German could be the only one that will give us either a Do17 or the much sought after Me-410 in 1/32. That would leave Hasegawa to give us the Val and the Kate in 1/32 scale

Edited by hacker

Tamiya does what Tamiya wants to do. The Tamiya plastic kit division is a tiny blip compared to the size of the company. It's the plaything of the higher-ups in the company. They do what they want to do, and not always what they think will sell well (1/48 D.520 - one of the big guy's favorites). If *you* happen to be disappointed in their choice, Tamiya really couldn't care any less. Don't buy it. Just because the last one they did was an American subject doesn't mean the next one they're going to do (if they do another one) will be a P-47. Anyone who has *ever* tried to second guess Tamiya has been wrong about 99.9963% of the time, going all the way back to the first kit in the current 'new' range of 1/48 and 1/32 kits - the Spitfire Mk.I in 1994.

The Corsair enjoys *huge* popularity world wide, and like it or not, it contributed significantly to the winning of the war in the Pacific.

Edited by Jennings Heilig
  • Like 1

The only 1/32nd scale kits I have are PCM Spitfires and hurricanes, Hasegawa P-40's, Tamiya Spitfires (all 3) and P51D (just 1), some Me262's and Mirage III's But this Tamiya Corsair is extremely tempting maybe at least 2 if not 3 of them.

I must resist

Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated

It seems that the new Corsair is due for imminent release with pictures of it on the web. It certainly looks a splendid kit and I'm sure that it's accurate in most respects (if it isn't the Yanks will tear Tamiya apart) and will come with a hefty price tag. Unfortunately for me, this isn't an aeroplane that I would choose to model, preferring instead a European subject, ideally the Hurricane MkI or the Spitfire MkI but you can bet your life that because the P 51 sold well in America, and this Corsair will follow suit, the next choice will be a P47. Pity.

So was it a pity they started the fabulous new allied WWII toolings with the Spitfire Mk IX?

Sheesh, you sound ridiculous.

What a remarkable attitude. You sound as if you resent anyone releasing subjects that you don't personally find interesting.

Hundreds of kits are released every year that I have no interest in building. But I have not found it necessary to regret the existence of a single one, if it is well-executed.

Personally I have very little interest in Japanese stuff, or armour, for example. But it pleases me greatly if such kits do well for their makers. If they do well, they enrich my life because the profits from them support the manufacturers, the distributors, the shops, the aftermarket suppliers and every other part of the infrastructure that supports my hobby.

If Tamiya couldn't make money doing high quality Japanese and American subjects, they would not be in a position to do high quality British ones.

The only kits that are to be regretted are those which do not represent what they set out to represent, or which don't fit together properly, or which lose money for their makers and drag down their businesses.

Well said.

Not my subject at all but I hope it sells in Bucket loads as they might bring out something in the future I do want.

A Hurricane would be really great, but would it sell as well?

Julien

So you think I have a remarkable attitude? Did you read my post properly or do you want an just argument??

I said it was not a subject that I would not choose. I did not condemn them from choosing that particular subject or any other, I said that I would have preferred a European aeroplane.

I don't need a lecture from you to tell me how Tamiya, or any other kit manufacturer needs to sell popular subjects in order to stay in business, that is common sense, so choosing my comments to lecture to me, and the BM membership at large, is pathetic.

Edited by Trubbie

What you said was "...the next choice will be a P-47. Pity."

If you did not intend that to convey the impression that you thought it would be a bad thing for Tamiya to do a 1/32 P-47, you might have chosen your words more carefully.

Come on guys, calm down and lets just celebrate that fact that Tamiya are releasing another great aircraft kit. It may not be everyones cup of tea, but as has been said, if it sells well they just might release something you are interested in.

• Like 1

What you said was "...the next choice will be a P-47. Pity."

If you did not intend that to convey the impression that you thought it would be a bad thing for Tamiya to do a 1/32 P-47, you might have chosen your words more carefully.

You really shouldn't try to read in depth meaning into brief comments made on a subject whose prime intention was to alert fellow modellers to the photographs being shown on another modelling site. I didn't even mention the name of the site here on BM in case it offended somebody like you.

I used the word 'pity' because for me a EUROPEAN subject would be preferable...such as a Hurricane. Can you understand that? A P47 is the next obvious choice because America is where the money is.

If the words I've used has offended your sense of propriety, well then tough. You pick your words, I'll pick mine.

Now please go ahead and have the last word.

As a modeler working in 32nd only , the last few years have been like something out of a dream..

To paraphrase some one other , If Tamiya build it , I will buy it .

The corsair is, fo me , an inspired choice, powerful charasmatic, Having said that would I like a Tamiya tooled Hurrcane , yup I would , but I built my PCM one a few years back, and I enjoyed building that kit , a different set of skills required for it , compared to a Tamiya kit, but that's why they call it modelling , and not assembiling

As to Tamiy's next choice , who knows.. they've tooled an R2800 - So that means Hellcat , P-47 , Tigercat are all possible , But when it comes along , there will be rejoicing , and I'm sure regret from some quarters, , but at least they're still advncing the state of the art as regards modelling , and that's something we can all be grateful for

Edited by colin ritchie

So you think I have a remarkable attitude? Did you read my post properly or do you want an just argument??

I said it was not a subject that I would not choose. I did not condemn them from choosing that particular subject or any other, I said that I would have preferred a European aeroplane.

I don't need a lecture from you to tell me how Tamiya, or any other kit manufacturer needs to sell popular subjects in order to stay in business, that is common sense, so choosing my comments to lecture to me, and the BM membership at large, is pathetic.

Then, my friend, *you* need to go back and re-read your original post. Please don't confuse your confusion with the membership of BM being pathetic. If everyone *but* you reads what you wrote one way, it's very likely that it came across that way. If you don't like the people here, you're very welcome to leave and not come back, but don't insult us in the meantime, okay? If you wouldn't say that to my face, don't say it to me here.

Then, my friend, *you* need to go back and re-read your original post. Please don't confuse your confusion with the membership of BM being pathetic. If everyone *but* you reads what you wrote one way, it's very likely that it came across that way. If you don't like the people here, you're very welcome to leave and not come back, but don't insult us in the meantime, okay? If you wouldn't say that to my face, don't say it to me here.

Tell me, is English your native language? Re read the last paragraph again, if possible with an interpreter.

I am not you friend and yes, I would say it to your face with pleasure.

Really?

I saw no jelly custard nor cake :evil_laugh: <<< a trifle mad (:>)

No, I don't mean stark raving bonkers weird. Just sorta vaguely "Huh?" or "What?" weird. Like someone saying it's a pity Ruth Handler created the Barbie doll and not a line of model aircraft kits.

Edited by Ed Russell
  • Like 1