Heinkel He 377 `Amerika` Bomber

tc2324

Well, like a London bus, you wait ages for one, then two come at once...

Here`s the back story and finished pics. Enjoy.

The people of New York were going about their business, some emerging from Broadway shows, while others are leaving bars and heading home. The night sky was clear of cloud with a moderate breeze blowing towards the Atlantic Ocean. The time was approximately 11.03pm and the date February 18th 1945.

The United States and her Allies had been at war with Germany and her Axis allies for just under a year now. The US had maintained a steady retreat in the Pacific which had halted at Midway which was still technically under siege from the Japanese Navy. In Europe Britain had halted the advance of Hitler`s forces, although this was mainly down to the English channel and the natural defence it provided for the British Isles. At this time, an air battle is taking place with new generation jet fighter technology and the British are holding their own. America is pumping men, supplies and fighting forces into Britain to bolster Britain`s defences with the US 8th Air Force soon to take delivery of their very own jet aircraft to join the battle.

But for now, on this bright but chilly night, in one of America`s major east coast cities, this World War seems a very long way away.

The air raid siren sounds. People look at each other. A drill at this time of night? It must be a mistake? It takes people totally unaware. It`s almost as if the city stands still, motionless for a second or two, while it tries to take in the meaning of the alarm. Almost un-noticed to many, a distant drone of engines can just be heard and starts getting louder. Almost on queue the search lights flicker on and start searching the sky. Panic finally arrives on the streets as residents start running this way and that trying to remember where the nearest shelter can be found. Seconds later, the city`s anti-aircraft batteries start shooting skywards and the orange and yellow puffs of exploding light can be seen for miles around.

A police officer is blowing his whistle and marshalling people to the shelter on the junction of Sixth Avenue and Canal Street. Two bright flashes followed by two dull thuds direct his attention towards Lower Manhattan. For the surviving residents of Warren Street and Chambers Street, flame, heat and debris are all they can see.

Now ten miles back out to sea over the Atlantic, the black shadow that is the Heinkel He 377 gains altitude for the long flight back to its home base in the Azores. It has dropped its two 3000lbs bombs within its designated target area. They can only hope that they scored a direct hit on City Hall. Germany has proven that it can now bring the war to the American homeland, although how easy the next mission will be is anyone’s guess?

002_zpse6ee3763.jpg

006_zpse42b18ae.jpg

016_zpsee6b78e7.jpg

017_zpsec0096e3.jpg

018_zps2ca2a452.jpg

020-1_zps26f222a2.jpg
  • Like 6

Cheers guys. :winkgrin:

Went for a more fictional novel back story than than a `just the facts` one.

Actually seemed to flow better without adding all the facts and figures when writing it and leaving details to the readers imagination.

It's not so much a "what-if", but more like an "almost". Wasn't there a prototype in work at the end of the war? I've seen pics of something four-engined with giant wings and a He.177 look to it, I'm sure :hmmm:

• 1 month later...

Excellent. Is it 4 engined or 8 engined? On the same principle as the Lancaster coming from the Manchester, I always thought that all the 177 needed was a sensible engine arrangement to make it a great aircraft.

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent. Is it 4 engined or 8 engined? On the same principle as the Lancaster coming from the Manchester, I always thought that all the 177 needed was a sensible engine arrangement to make it a great aircraft.

I love this one!! As it's a "what if", we can surely just treat it as a 4 engine development of the 177? Did you lengthen the fuselage as well? The bicycle undercarriage is a very neat idea but, my own personal preference would be to lengthen the bomb bay and retain the original undercarriage ( of course, in that scenario it would naturally be strengthened for the extra weight!!) :D

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

" I saw this on the History Channel last week"...... :rofl: Classic!!

It did give us a chuckle...

The back story to those words goes back to Cockpit Fest last year when MMM put up a display of models.

A punter walked by, saw and pointed out my `Amerika` bomber to his missus and then said the line.

To say it was hard to stand there while turning purple, trying not to laugh, is an understatement.

VERY COOL!

I await the He-777... a zwilling with 7 engines!?!

Would be totally radical!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...