Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M Skyhawk II: Some 'old-school' modelling...

Hi everyone!

Here's my latest model, Hasegawa's excellent A-4M. I really love this kit and so felt it might be a cool subject for a little experimentation. A bit fed-up with constantly having to keep up with the latest product, idea or technique, I decided to turn the clock back and see if a model built in 2013 could still stand-up using techniques and products that I would have used in the eighties - this model is the result. I built it using exactly the same tools I would have used back then and painted it with the same enamels and weathered it with oil paints - again, exactly as I would have done at the end of the eighties, beginning of the nineties. There are no new products on this model - save for the new-formula Humbrol colours that I was testing - everything being totally 'old-school': no acrylics, no weathering solutions, no pigments - just enamels and oils. I have to say that I'm happy with the results..! ;)

The full feature on this model will appear in Military Illustrated Aircraft.

I hope you like it!

Spence :)

8739973857_d793e6dbe4_b.jpg

8739974389_73d0bf5dba_b.jpg

• Like 6

Nice one Spence! :goodjob:

I am building a A-4F at the moment in Blue angels colours and it is a great kit to build.

I have got a few more in my stash for a rainy day.

Cheers,

Yet another fantastic build, Spencer! Superb!
It's such a relief to see that the 'old' techniques still work. :goodjob:

Maybe next time, you could make it an Aussie Navy (RAN) A-4G! :winkgrin:

Edited by Aussie_Modeller

Proves a point that there is no substitute for a little time and care in a build (and a modicum of skill) will produce a stunning build of a kit without relying on potions, aftermarket and technique witchcraft.

It does help of course that the canvas is such a nice kit!

V nice build