Hello
I've been building Revell's USS Voyager for a while now.
I've updated my blog so thought you may want to take a look.

I think I started a thread back in Jan/Feb but it must have been purged (or maybe it was on another forum).

Anyway please take a look, all helpful and constructive feedback is welcome.

http://prydien.wordpress.com/

Hi

Thanks for looking.

I'm going to spend a lot of time practicing with my spray gun before I go any further. I want to get the Aztek effect just right. Don't want to ruin it in the final stages.

• 4 weeks later...

saw your update regarding the Voyager paint job...

The same problem happened to me when I was trying to spray my Voyager - actually made me just finish it off and put it to the side (not happy with the result).

I am not sure what you are using for spray but at the time I had a compressed air can and a bottom loading airbrush - The issue I had was the bottom loader picked up too much paint and I could not control the pressure of the air...

As a result of the voyager incident, I purchased a cheap (£60) compressor that came with two simple airbrushes. I also purchased a cheap (£20) top loading 0.2mm airbrush...

After much practicing on a couple of models, the difference is fantastic - I get control of flow onto the kit and it works well with vallejo paints...

a long way of saying that the problem (in my case) was caused by too much paint and uncontrolled pressure...

• Like 1

I've been using Vallejo model paint with their thinners. I just found out from their website that these paints are not suitable for airbrushing and I should have been using Vallejo model air paints which are designed for airbrushes without the need for thinners. I wondered why it kept drying up in the brush so quickly. I've sanded it down and gone over it again, it looks ok now. Oh well, you live and learn. I sanded it smooth and gave it a fresh blast. I'm using a compressor as well, cost around £60, it' s much better than a can. The air brush I'm using is a Harder & Steenbeck. Thanks for looking by the way :)

I've updated my blog. Please pop over and take a look. http://prydien.wordpress.com
I haven't got too far to go now :)
I'm going to use 'Micro Krystal Klear' for the windows.
I've got some dental acrylic recommended by Steve Neil (look at his youtube channel >steve neill's garage< he's fantastic, a real inspiration, he works so hard)
But I think dental acrylic is best used before you paint.
What do you guys use for windows?

Thanks for the comments everyone, all input is greatly appreciated.

Edited by prydien

I use the Vallejo model paint as well as the model air - the model air range is just pre-thinned for airbrushing.

Check out the ratio of paint to thinner you are using - I start with a 70:30 (paint to thinner) and work up from there...

it may sound a little strange but I have also found that a drop (single drop) of airbrush cleaner mixed in helps it go on as well - although, not always required.

• 3 weeks later...

it may sound a little strange but I have also found that a drop (single drop) of airbrush cleaner mixed in helps it go on as well - although, not always required.

I've done that it does help. I was working on a really hot day and the brush was clogging up every few seconds. I've found out that the ambient temperature makes a huge difference to the paint. In fact the 'Aztek' details I did can only be done in a warm temperature or the paint goes on too wet.

Please check my blog as it's recently been updated. http://prydien.wordpress.com/

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...