OTB Academy F-15C MSIP II

A little background - THe first model I've ever been truly happy with was a Revel-Monogram F-15E. It's the only model I've managed to get the preshading, weather and washes to look 'right' on. This was over 4 years ago now and despite numerous attempts, I've not managed to finish a kit since, including a 2 year hiatus.

Here she is - The tail numbers are painted on and incorrect, the reason being I the F-15 in Lockon/DCS and wanted it to reflect my tail number (LN, 003)

P1010035.jpg

P1010037.jpg

In order to try and get myself back in gear, I'm doing another F-15, this time a C to try and get back up and running!

It's the Academy set which I managed to pick up for £19.99 in the Modelzone sale. It comes with a small PE fret and a decent weapons loadout.

aca_12221_title.jpg

The airframe goes together in a front cockpit and radar section, pancake fuselage and then the wings are mounted flush to the body.

There have been a few issues as the build has gone along -

The front wheel well didn't fit at all. The instructions call the nose to be joined, the cockpit to be mounted on top of the wheel bay and then slid into place. The cockpit however doesn't sit right! To get around this, I first trimmed the bottom to allow the wheel bay to fit. This was then glued into place and left. Once it was firm, the mounting pegs where sanded flush and I manually lined the cockpit up inside the chassis.

The intakes are quite frankly rubbish. For some reason, they leave some 1cm square holes once completely built up if you don't card them over! As I'm posing the intakes in the powered down position, it's hardly hard to see into this section.

Wing fitment has been poor however I accrue 50% of this down to poor building technique (yeah, I rushed putting the pan cake together). Quite a lot of Milliput and Green stuff later and I've just about recovered the seams along with the re-scribing.

I'll get some pictures up soon of the current build.

Currently can't decide on the paint scheme though, I'm torn 50/50 been accurate and making a desert aggressor colouring!

• Like 3

Having built the Strike version and the Ra'am the issues you describe sound very familiar! It does build to a decent model in the end and its worth the money for the stores alone at £20! I found the wing fit on the hasegawa kit to be just a bad though, and this is at least twice the price!!

Look forward to seeing her finished.

Pit - I haven't painted or detailed Bay 5 as the model will have the canopy down and a cover over.

2013-05-14173634_zps21e9aab1.jpg

Managed to completely polish out the seam line on the rear of the airframe - 5 grades of squadron sticks.

2013-05-14173724_zps5adddf27.jpg

Milliputted seam on the wing join

2013-05-14173735_zpsc719e726.jpg

I wasn't happy with this fit, so...

2013-05-14202034_zps76510749.jpg

A blueing coat was used to show any flaws and these where skimmed in green stuff and then flatted back. Doesn't look neat but under a coat of paint, there are no flaws.

Like so...

2013-05-14202040_zpsf15a4a4d.jpg

Next up was the rear fins - Oh dear.

2013-05-14202549_zps4120af47.jpg

F-12? F-25? :P

I was annoyed at this as I like to paint models with dual tail fins with the fins off! I'm probably going to pack the locating tabs out with some sheet plastic and then sand it down till they hold themselves in the right place. This will ease painting tremendously.

Rear stabs where fitted and glued as the last job of the night.

2013-05-14204421_zpseebddf22.jpg

If you haven't gone too far already, it may be worth while changing the seat, the kit one is underscale. I know this from expierience, I built a Strike Eagle straight from the box and the seats look ridiculous!

Sean

• 2 weeks later...

Breaker , good start..hope you are still carrying own with this beautiful bird...

:thumbsup:

I will be, my attention has been pulled off by a Hase E/A-18G at the moment!

I had packed this one away due to the nasty wing seam lines, however I've also recent discover the joys of Mr. Surfacer so once the growler is done, I'll be back on this!