Eduard Mk IX, Back on the go!

Hi, I thought I'd join the Eduard Mk IX party and do one with a difference, it'll be done as one of the 2 Mk IXs that were captured and flown by the Zirkus Rosarius who basically toured round various air fields with captured aircraft so that Luftwaffe aircrew could get a close look at the types they were fighting against. First up some pics of the real aircraft before someone tells me that only Mk XIs were flown.

SpitfireMkIXT9KK-1_zps26f0f9f4.jpg

pic6_011_zpsf08beccf.jpg

There are no known pics of that aircraft being actually used though as far as I know, this one was though

spit_zps7f818722.jpg

Although it looks like it has had some kind of windscreen fabricated as a replacement!

Here is the Mk XI that was flown showing the colour scheme used for captured aircraft.

spitT9BB_photo_zps2ffdf91d.jpg

The colours used are RLM70 and 04 undersides and tail unit.

This is were I'm at as of tonight with the Brassin pit.

DSC_1880_zpsf2b25d24.jpg

DSC_1883_zpsa3068416.jpg

DSC_1886_zpsae84c718.jpg

DSC_1887_zpsef35236e.jpg

DSC_1889_zps7f90f72e.jpg

DSC_1891_zps73b2b120.jpg

DSC_1895_zps565c55e9.jpg

DSC_1896_zps4bd1e27c.jpg

DSC_1898_zps75bb6c87.jpg

DSC_1900_zps8f154a74.jpg

DSC_1904_zpseafcde8c.jpg

DSC_1905_zpsf4b3c6d3.jpg

DSC_1906_zps01226d94.jpg

As you can see the Brassin pit is just superb, its quite delicate and needs to be handled with care but the best thing about it is that it fits into the fuselage without any surgery you normally have to do with resin pits.

Its made a pleasant change to use something other than grey paint as well, hopefully I've got the colours about right! I've kept the weathering pretty light as the new owners would be wanting to look after it as it wouldn't be easy to get a replacement.

Thanks for looking in, as usual comments are welcome.

Tim.

Edited by tank152
  • Like 6

Someone stop this man. He simply cannot be allowed to build a spitfire in German markings :fight:

Nice work on the cockpit Tim, you have talked me into getting one for my eduard Spit, when it arrives

Bruce

• Like 2

That cockpit is a thing of beauty. Mind you, it is a good thing you have taken pictures as very little will be visible once once the fuselage is closed - even if you have the canopy open and the entry door open.

Still, the main pleasure with a model kit is in making it.

David

• Like 1

Someone stop this man. He simply cannot be allowed to build a spitfire in German markings :fight:

Nice work on the cockpit Tim, you have talked me into getting one for my eduard Spit, when it arrives

Bruce

Hi Bruce, yes I knew I'd be getting some flak over my choice of markings :)

You won't be disappointed with your purchase. I've dry fitted the cockpit into the fuselage and it fits like a glove the only hurdle I've got to cross now is hoping the IP slots into the cockpit sides as that is the only thing I didn't try, I noticed Brett Green had trouble fitting his into the slots but it'll be no big deal to open those out if needs be.

Thanks for your comments and looking in.

Tim.

About time we had a captured bird! Great work so far Tim.

I look forward to watching you work on this.

Regards,

Kent

Cheers Kent, how is that Mossie coming along, have you got a build thread on here for it?

Tim.

That cockpit is a thing of beauty. Mind you, it is a good thing you have taken pictures as very little will be visible once once the fuselage is closed - even if you have the canopy open and the entry door open.

Still, the main pleasure with a model kit is in making it.

David

Thanks David, yes I know what you mean, it does tend to disappear once its fitted into the fuselage, oh well, like you say the fun is in the building it.

Wow this is looking good, I have one of these will all extras except the flaps to build! Plenty of pics please!

Dan

Cheers Dan, I must admit I was very tempted to go with the flaps, I've used Eduard flaps before on one of their Fw190s and they build up really well, the work is in all the thinning down of the wing inners to get them in.

The hardest part to build the cockpit so far has been the seat and it's brackets etc, I found that pretty tricky/fiddly to do and a extra hand would have come in handy to do the job! Also the seat belts took some time to thread into/through the various gaps, I'm not a big lover of p/e belts really as I can never get the things to hang right I was hoping that Hannants had got the fabric belts in stock the HGW are doing for Eduard but they're still waiting for them to arrive. I've yet to build the exhausts up yet so don't know how those go together at the moment. If there is anything in particular you would like some pics of regarding the cockpit let me know.

Whether or not I've got the colours correct I don't know but I'm sure someone would have pointed it out to me if I hadn't, I'd like to think they would have anyway.

To everyone else who has commented I'd like to say thanks, all your comments are most appreciated. It may be a couple of days before I get any more done as we're having some work done to the house.

Tim.

Hi, I've managed to make a bit more progress with the cockpit today, but first a pic of the starboard side which I forgot to post last time,

DSC_1915_zpsa27da0e7.jpg

The next job was to fix the front bulkhead in position followed by the rudder peddles and control column etc,

DSC_1936_zpsebed52cd.jpg

DSC_1939_zps9ccc9ed3.jpg

DSC_1940_zpsa893d0f9.jpg

The eagle eyed will notice that I've remembered to fix the seat adjuster handle that was missing in the last set of pics!

DSC_1941_zps6c70d695.jpg

DSC_1944_zpsb5905911.jpg

DSC_1948_zps79569781.jpg

DSC_1951_zps89541ceb.jpg

DSC_1952_zps0be828e7.jpg

DSC_1953_zps8cefd02d.jpg

DSC_1956_zpsd669f57c.jpg

DSC_1958_zps73e0ecc0.jpg

DSC_1959_zpsfef1d751.jpg

DSC_1960_zps151146cf.jpg

DSC_1963_zpsb3fd5a64.jpg

DSC_1967_zps211c0401.jpg

As you can see everything fits as it should and almost clicks together, put it this way the side panels have not received any glue yet, but will do when I've straightened everything up. All that remains now is to fix the oxygen bottle between the rear 2 frames, as I'm doing a captured one I'm leaving the gun sight off as that would have been removed along with the armament for inspection, I may fix the frame for the sight to the IP though as that may have been left on, any thoughts anyone?

Next job will be to build up the Brassin exhausts.

Thanks for looking in,

Tim.

• Like 2

Nice, very nice Cockpit! I like it a lot!

cheers.

Cheers IIan, it is by far the best resin cockpit I've worked on, the fit of it is unbelievable.

Well shrink me down and let me drive!! I'm sure you're chuffed with the progress to date, great job.

Thanks, yes I'm pretty chuffed the way things are progressing so far, I've just checked and it all fits like a glove into the fuselage.

Progress will be slow though because I'm working away on this as well.

DSC_1980_zpsd8a6e208.jpg

Tim.

• Like 1

Thing. Of. Beauty.

Awesome work Tim and a great (if a wee bit controversial) choice of subject, cannot wait to see this through to the end :popcorn:

Regards

Dave Cromie

PS I am I alone in thinking that the Brassin pit would be worth placing alongside the completed kit as it is so good?

• Like 1

Beautiful work Kurt! That cockpit is looking great. The Me 163 isn't too shabby either! Looking forward to seeing progress on both- very inspirational stuff!

All the best

H

PS Vampire stalled until next week and should still be at Coventry if you are going.

• Like 1

Thing. Of. Beauty.

Awesome work Tim and a great (if a wee bit controversial) choice of subject, cannot wait to see this through to the end :popcorn:

Regards

Dave Cromie

PS I am I alone in thinking that the Brassin pit would be worth placing alongside the completed kit as it is so good?

Dave, yes I knew the scheme would be a bit controversial, perhaps thats why the "Spiterati" are conspicuous by their absence! :rolleyes: Was kind of hoping to get some feed back of them so that I know I'm on the right track with colours etc.

I'm sure someone will place a completed cockpit along side their build as it would be quite do able, you'd have to scratch some wires up for the rear of the IP though I reckon.

Thanks for your comments.

Tim.

Beautiful work Kurt! That cockpit is looking great. The Me 163 isn't too shabby either! Looking forward to seeing progress on both- very inspirational stuff!

All the best

H

PS Vampire stalled until next week and should still be at Coventry if you are going.

Hey "H", glad ya like em both, yeah I really must get cracking on that 163, its been dragging on for far to long now.

Looking forward to having a ganders at that Vampire, yeah I'm still on for Coventry so see ya there.

Kurt!

Dave, yes I knew the scheme would be a bit controversial, perhaps thats why the "Spiterati" are conspicuous by their absence! :rolleyes: Was kind of hoping to get some feed back of them so that I know I'm on the right track with colours etc.

Some heavy pre and post shading with a dark panel wash should set it off nicely mate. Oh and don't forget the sooty stains from the gun ports. Every one knows the RAF were using black powder in .303 ball ammunition don't yer know!

• Like 2

Some heavy pre and post shading with a dark panel wash should set it off nicely mate. Oh and don't forget the sooty stains from the gun ports. Every one knows the RAF were using black powder in .303 ball ammunition don't yer know!

:evil_laugh: May have to leave off the soot stains as the cannons would have been removed!

Anyway, if any "Spiterati" look in on this, please take it in the good humour as its intended to be.

Tim.

Edited by tank152
  • Like 1

Looks very good to me. I guess that a dark grey Luftwaffe colour should do.

Spiterati made laugh.

You are going to have something pretty different from all the rest.

Cheers, yes all this Dark Green and Ocean Gray etc starts to get a bit monotonous after a while, plus it'll be quite a challenge to get all that RLM70 which is a Black/Green, to look lively plus the yellow undersides will make for a colourful looking aircraft.

Tim.

• Like 1

Hi mate,

Just seen your progress on this - that cockpit is an absolute work of art, your painting has really done it justice. Out of interest what did you use for the cockpit green and how did you do the chipping on the armour plating?

Good to see the Komet too, shes looking great - looking forwards to the next update on both,

Cheers, Stu

• Like 1