T-28D-5, `Zorro`, 606th SOS, Thailand

Love the T-28, NEVER seen that camo scheme before. Are those colours specified by the instructions ??

Ian

EDIT:

OK, my mistake.... didn't realise you'd already answered the query !!

Edited by Ian
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi

Sorry to drag up an old thread but just been looking for Secret War builds and a lot of yours crop up, excellent stuff. Those t28s look good when all bombed up, and an unusual colour scheme.

Peter

• Like 1

You've managed to convey the menacing look of the beast to perfection. A great build as usual Rus. My hat down to you.

Having said that, I am a confused bunny, as I see these rocket launchers mounted in both directions, depending on builds. Open ends at the rear, open ends at the front...

As I am no boffin at all, I will assume you are right!!!

Great build!

JR

• Like 1

You've managed to convey the menacing look of the beast to perfection. A great build as usual Rus. My hat down to you.

Having said that, I am a confused bunny, as I see these rocket launchers mounted in both directions, depending on builds. Open ends at the rear, open ends at the front...

As I am no boffin at all, I will assume you are right!!!

Great build!

JR

Cheers Jean, re: rocket launchers, they`re actually cluster bomblet dispensers and they`re fitted the correct way round.

Glad you like it, thanks for looking

great work. How is this kit fitting? I would like to build one too

Thanks Guaguachong, the kit is like a top end limited run type of kit, soft plastic, parts need a bit of sanding and trimming here and there but not too much filler needed.

Very nice Russ,.....must have missed this the first time around! I`ve been toying with the idea of building one of these myself,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Really nice Russ, great assembling and paintjob, but I not seen this camo scheme before: always thought that instead of gray should be tan... I'm going to do Trojan in Vietnam II GB, and I think I need to find more information... What if you're right? But I like yours T-28, really !

Cheers,

Sergiy.

• Like 1

Really nice Russ, great assembling and paintjob, but I not seen this camo scheme before: always thought that instead of gray should be tan... I'm going to do Trojan in Vietnam II GB, and I think I need to find more information... What if you're right? But I like yours T-28, really !

Cheers,

Sergiy.

Hi Sergiy, If you read some of the threads earlier in the post, you`ll see how I came to the resulting scheme. When you look at black and white photos of the 606th SOS aircraft you`ll notice that the Darkest colour is on the areas that would have been painted Tan, which usually shows as the lightest colour. So originally I thought it was still standard SEA colours and that only the pattern had been changed. Then someone on another forum told me to buy 56th Fighter Group book by Larry Davis where there`s a colour shot of one and the areas that would usually be Tan are in fact Very Dark Grey. But this only applies to 606th SOS aircraft as there were other Squadrons that flew them in Standard SEA scheme with black or grey undersides.

Thanks for looking though and glad you like it.

• Like 1

Hi Sergiy, If you read some of the threads earlier in the post, you`ll see how I came to the resulting scheme. When you look at black and white photos of the 606th SOS aircraft you`ll notice that the Darkest colour is on the areas that would have been painted Tan, which usually shows as the lightest colour. So originally I thought it was still standard SEA colours and that only the pattern had been changed. Then someone on another forum told me to buy 56th Fighter Group book by Larry Davis where there`s a colour shot of one and the areas that would usually be Tan are in fact Very Dark Grey. But this only applies to 606th SOS aircraft as there were other Squadrons that flew them in Standard SEA scheme with black or grey undersides.

Thanks for looking though and glad you like it.

Hi Russ,

I have the Squadron Signal book "56th Fighter Group" and your paintjob looks absolutely correct. On page 36 there is a color photo of a T-28 D at NKP and the camo appears totally different from the standard SEA-scheme (even the greens). To me it looks like the camo on German Tornados.

BTW: The aircraft also carries the bomblet dispensers right the way your model does!

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 2

I did not say that it's not right, I said: I not seen this camo scheme before, just unusual like for me! Now I will look for Squadron Signal book "56th Fighter Group"... Thanks for the info!

Sergiy

I did not say that it's not right, I said: I not seen this camo scheme before, just unusual like for me! Now I will look for Squadron Signal book "56th Fighter Group"... Thanks for the info!

Sergiy

Sergiy don´t worry - the Squadron book also shows T-28s in what appear standard SEA camo next to grey ones with Royal Lao insignia. Hope you don´t mind me mixing in the discussion. Was just because I had the book at hand.

Mario

• Like 1

Hi Russ,

I have the Squadron Signal book "56th Fighter Group" and your paintjob looks absolutely correct. On page 36 there is a colour photo of a T-28 D at NKP and the camo appears totally different from the standard SEA-scheme (even the greens). To me it looks like the camo on German Tornados.

BTW: The aircraft also carries the bomblet dispensers right the way your model does!

Cheers,

Mario

Hi Mario,

Glad someone else has got the book !, I was informed when I was trying to find out the actual colours used that they came from S.A.C.stocks rather than F.A.C but it maybe that they just thought the Tan was too light and over painted it in grey.

Couldn`t find any other colour pictures of them anywhere on the internet or otherwise though.

Thanks for commenting and look forward to seeing more of your SEA stuff.

Cheers Russ

• Like 1

Hi Mario,

Glad someone else has got the book !, I was informed when I was trying to find out the actual colours used that they came from S.A.C.stocks rather than F.A.C but it maybe that they just thought the Tan was too light and over painted it in grey.

Couldn`t find any other colour pictures of them anywhere on the internet or otherwise though.

Thanks for commenting and look forward to seeing more of your SEA stuff.

Cheers Russ

Hi Russ,

this was the only color picture I found and the Trojan appears like the ones in SEA camo with the tan-areas overpainted in black-grey. The greens appear also different, but I don´t know if it depends on the photo or if the camo plan was used with other colors. I´m afraid of copyright issues, otherwise I had scanned the photo for you.

Glad I could help and my comment wasn´t regarded unpolite. Thank you for the compliments regarding my models, too.

Have a nice evening

Mario

• Like 1

Hi Russ

I really like the build and finish.

Did you strip the previous paint?

Or did you simply paint over the top?

Or apply a covering primer again and then respray?

Either way it's a really great subject and well done

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 1

Hi Russ

I really like the build and finish.

Did you strip the previous paint?

Or did you simply paint over the top?

Or apply a covering primer again and then respray?

Either way it's a really great subject and well done

Cheers

Bruce

Cheers Bruce, I just removed the delicate bits and then rubbed it down with Wet and Dry with soapy water, I didn`t take it pack to bare plastic though.