RF-8 conversion and VFP-62 decals in 1/72?

Brad

I've had a bit of a google and found that Ventura did a conversion set but I couldn't find it for sale anywhere, thus I assume that it may be OOP. I'm also wondering if someone does VFP-62 decals and if possible Commander Ecker's aircraft that he flew over Cuba on October 23rd.

TIA.

While the Ventura conversions has been OOP for a long time, the Falcon vacform conversion (part of a set with two other subjects) is still available. If you don't mind vacforms, it's the most cost-effective solution. Alternatively, RVHP did a resin conversion that is very expensive and not too correct...

Don't know of decals, personally I've looked into these aricrafts as candidates for some home made decals as the markings are quite simple.

• Like 1

In addition to what was mentioned above (Falcon) there is also an Airmodel vacform conversion CLICK HERE. The RVHP resin conversion has really been crucified for accuracy issues elsewhere. AFAIK there are no decals for the subject you're looking at building, and the only RF-8 decals I know of at all are the forthcoming VFP-63 markings from Wolfpak, which will be covering a mid-70s jet.

Regards,

Murph

The only VFP-62 decals I know of are in 1/48, Except the Ventura decals, and the new wolfpack set there are no others in 1.72 apart from those in the RHVP sets. The RHVP conversion was bad and the decals worse, they were almost beyond saving when I used them.

RF-8GNo2.jpg

Roll on new conversions and decals in both sizes.

Julien

There's a possibility of new conversions in 1/72 and 1/48. I'll post more if/when it happens. And they'll have VFP-62 decals if I have any say in the matter...

If you have any input, make sure they get the nose and windscreen right. The available conversions all base their nose on the wider F-8E forward fuselage and use the kit windscreen, so to be accurate, you would still have to graft something like the Muroc Models nose and windscreen onto whatever conversion was used.

Regards,

Murph

In addition to what was mentioned above (Falcon) there is also an Airmodel vacform conversion CLICK HERE. The RVHP resin conversion has really been crucified for accuracy issues elsewhere. AFAIK there are no decals for the subject you're looking at building, and the only RF-8 decals I know of at all are the forthcoming VFP-63 markings from Wolfpak, which will be covering a mid-70s jet.

Regards,

Murph

Murph in 1.72 Tasman 7205 included decals for VFP-306, the one with the black tail.

RF-8 is a little better served in 1.48 but not much. Albatros did VFP-62 Cuban Missile Crisis decals on sheet 48015. Scalemaster did a sheet for the War Eagle conversion featuring VFP-63 (Shark mouth) and VFP-306 Black Tail. Decals in the C&H conversion were for VMCJ-2 and the very last RF-8 flown by VFP-306 in the low vis scheme.

Jennings, any chance of these decals?

RF-8A_146889A_Vought-1.jpg

Julien

If you have any input, make sure they get the nose and windscreen right. The available conversions all base their nose on the wider F-8E forward fuselage and use the kit windscreen, so to be accurate, you would still have to graft something like the Muroc Models nose and windscreen onto whatever conversion was used.

Regards,

Murph

You got that right, even when I did mine and re-profiled the nose, it still looks off as its to wide.

Julien

ps. only reason I have 1.48 RF-8s (3 of them!) is they were the only ones I could find!

Knowing the guy considering it, if it's done at all, it'll be done right. As for decals, the project is a germ of an idea at the moment, so anything is possible. But given the price of everything, the simpler (and thus, the fewer ink colors) the better.