1/48 Canberra - Classic Airframes or Airfix ?

JohnT

I am looking to rationalise the stash and have both the CA and Airfix models for the B2. I was wondering which of the two is the better model or are they both about the same taking good points and bad points into consideration?

I thought the Canberra experts might point the way as to the one to keep and do and the one to pass on!

Thanks in advance as always

John

Hi John T, rightly as you say, both have points in favor and no, and both are valid. The choice at this point is only subjective. I personally started with the kit airfix , with pavla sets. Maybe because I'm a fanatic of Airfix!!!

Linus

It depends on what you are after, I have made both and for ease of construction the Airfix kit is by far the easier. Accuracy is slightly ahead for the CA kit but the Airfix one had more update sets out there if you wish to go down that path.

I've only ever built the Airfix Canberra PR.9; it was a lovely kit that went together really well, although there were a few modifications I had to do - a major one was the shape of the leading edge of the vertical fin but I'm not sure if that is a problem throughout the Airfix Canberra range. Other changes were also made due to me doing a PR.9 such as the wing tips and the cockpit, etc.

As for the B.2, I have both in my stash, the CA kit has some lovely resin details with it but you'll have fun putting the fuselage together with its multiple segments; the Airfix kit has a much simpler fuselage and it fits together very well, however it is lacking the finer detail parts that come with the CA kit.

I'm sure you won't be disappointed with either kit when completed :)

Karl

I don't have the CA kit I'm afraid but the Aurfix one is ok if you put some work in to it. I'm building a 48th PR9 currently and the nose is wrong, cockpit wrong, intakes have problems, bomb bay cover fit is iffy, exhausts don't fit well, ailerons too thick, fin leading edge needs reshaping (common to all Airfix Canberra incidentally), rudder has fictitious panel lines on it and you really need to consider filling and rescribing all the panel lines

Steve

The Airfix B2 is severely let down by the 'gold-fish' bowl canopy. Its far too flat - and really does let down what is otherwise a decent sort of kit (not withstanding the other comments here). Alley Cats do a replacement canopy set and this really does improve the kit.

The CA kit is better accuracy wise but can be a challenge to build....I started on a T17 some years ago - and its still unfinished!!

Hi John

Let me add my three h'pth, every thing that has been said before is valid; as for me, I would go for the Airfix kit, sure it has issues, canopy, panel detail, fin shape, tail planes, and a few more that have been well covered, but on the plus side; it's a good "chunky" and quite well fitting kit, the wings are a much better representation of the Canberra wing than the CA one especially regarding the aerofoil section, the CA wing being rather flat. Having said that Airfix have had to compromise with the detail on the wing and have gone with the B.6 wet wing with no indication that this is wrong for the B.2, but this is not a biggie to fix. With Aeroclub seats, Edward brass, and any of the resin bits you fancy there is not too much the CA kit has over the Airfix. Now if it's the B.57's that would be a much different kettle of fish!

John

The Airfix kit is good but it has a long list of 'faults' that can be corrected. I built the B(I)8 which was covered in sink marks. In addition to the points listed by John my kit also had poorly fitting jet intakes and exhaust pipes, the wing tips were incorrectly shaped (plan view) and the bomb aimers bubble was too shallow (side view). Having read other, more successful builds here, I'm wondering if mine was a 'second', sold as new.

Trubbie

The Airfix kit is good but it has a long list of 'faults' that can be corrected. I built the B(I)8 which was covered in sink marks. In addition to the points listed by John my kit also had poorly fitting jet intakes and exhaust pipes, the wing tips were incorrectly shaped (plan view) and the bomb aimers bubble was too shallow (side view). Having read other, more successful builds here, I'm wondering if mine was a 'second', sold as new.

Trubbie

Hi Trubbie

I don't think yours was a second, apart from the sink marks all the other faults you list are unfortunately "normal" for the kit.

John

Is there any build report of an Airfix Canberra (B2/B6) which shows what exactly needs to be corrected?

Hi Caerbannog,

I'm sure there will be many builds on here covering the B.2, you could also take a look at my site we have a number of builds covering the Airfix kit. Take a look here http://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/forums/show/7253936-photo-builds

John

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies guys. I just got a quick look at this on a late lunch today and will get both out the stash and have a darned good read and look. If I sell the CA one I can see the money going on aftermarket as suggested ! Maybe no bad thing.

Its my 60th in July and looking at a ludicrous stash size it is time to be sensible and strip out duplicates etc. that I'll never have time to build and focus on what will get built Standing the Canberra stash at 2 B2's a B1(8) and a PR9 I think I have leeway to strip that down a bit

Much appreciated as always

John

Its my 60th in July and looking at a ludicrous stash size it is time to be sensible and strip out duplicates etc. that I'll never have time to build and focus on what will get built Standing the Canberra stash at 2 B2's a B1(8) and a PR9 I think I have leeway to strip that down a bit

Much appreciated as always

John

Let's see, one B.2 in early bomber colours, 1 in RAE markings, a B(I).8 in camo over black and a PR.9... still leaves out a few options that should be built ! Are you sure you don't actually need a couple more ??? :lol:

Sebastian, the Aeroclub Canberra is, as you would expect a lovely kit! The only problem is not every one can get on with vac form I messed mine up big time but I rescued the injection nose and the white metal bits which came in very useful!

Let's see, one B.2 in early bomber colours, 1 in RAE markings, a B(I).8 in camo over black and a PR.9... still leaves out a few options that should be built ! Are you sure you don't actually need a couple more ??? :lol:

Giorgio when the 1/48 Airfix Can's were announced I said I'll get one of each and that's it! I now have around 14 of them! I must be mad.

John

I'd say that the C.A kit would probably be more 'collectable' as they are long out of production, so should therefore raise more cash, which will be required to bring the Airfix kit up to scratch.

I'd also recommend Aeroclub's kit - its without doubt the best Canberra kit out there - but the problem is - its as much OOP as the CA kit!!!

Giorgio when the 1/48 Airfix Can's were announced I said I'll get one of each and that's it! I now have around 14 of them! I must be mad.

John

John,

as you're a fan of the type, this is not surprising, I'd have done the same if not worse had my nickname been Canberra Kid.. :D

Even if the Canberra is not my favourite type, I still managed to have 3 built and one in the stash, although all 1/72 scale. Oh, and one each of the Revell 1/80ish B-57 and B.2..

If only Airfix issued a 1/72 B.2/6, the stash would suddenly grow by another 2-3 units. The various test aircrafts used by the RAE alone would make a very interesting collection.

Now that I think about it, I've always fancied dong an Indian B(I).8 with UN markings...

The Canberra has worn so many interesting schemes that it's really hard to build just one or two !

Edited by Giorgio N

John,

as you're a fan of the type, this is not surprising, I'd have done the same if not worse had my nickname been Canberra Kid.. :D

Even if the Canberra is not my favourite type, I still managed to have 3 built and one in the stash, although all 1/72 scale. Oh, and one each of the Revell 1/80ish B-57 and B.2..

If only Airfix issued a 1/72 B.2/6, the stash would suddenly grow by another 2-3 units. The various test aircrafts used by the RAE alone would make a very interesting collection.

Now that I think about it, I've always fancied dong an Indian B(I).8 with UN markings...

The Canberra has worn so many interesting schemes that it's really hard to build just one or two !

That's the problem, so many nice schemes to model and not enough life! But I'm determined to give it my best shot! :D

John

I'd say that the C.A kit would probably be more 'collectable' as they are long out of production, so should therefore raise more cash, which will be required to bring the Airfix kit up to scratch.

I'd also recommend Aeroclub's kit - its without doubt the best Canberra kit out there - but the problem is - its as much OOP as the CA kit!!!

I entirely agree. I think that we ought to start a protest group and all march on Aeroclub's workshop and demand the 48th Canberra back (after I've locked my two or three in the vault).

We could call it MRCA (Must Re-instate Canberra Again) - sorry - old joke.

DR

Sebastian, the Aeroclub Canberra is, as you would expect a lovely kit! The only problem is not every one can get on with vac form I messed mine up big time but I rescued the injection nose and the white metal bits which came in very useful!

John

It is a lovely kit indeed, the pic I posted is of the one I built. I have another one in the stash (I have 3 more Canberras in the stash, 2 Airfix and 1 C-A).

Cheers,

S.

Hey Guys - the remit was to help me decide which one I was getting rid off not persuading me to get more of them! :D

Do have a soft spot for the Canberra. Brilliant aircraft for her day.

thanks for all the advice.

John

Hey Guys - the remit was to help me decide which one I was getting rid off not persuading me to get more of them! :D

John

If you don't John, you know you'll wish you had - when it's too late and they have all gone, none left, then how will you feel.

Just remember, "A Canberra in the stash is worth two on fleabay"

DR

My two cents worth John,

Keep the airfix canberra, sell the CA one.

Remember you are thinning the stash so that you have a half decent chance of building what you have ( I tell myself this too :winkgrin: )

so, buildability should be a prime consideration, and on this, the airfix one wins hands down!

You could build 2 airfix canberras in the time it takes you to buid one classic airfames kit

Bruce

• Like 1

One thing to be carefull of the Edwaurd sets they are not the most useable sets, the flap set is a waste of space i started and ended up looking at remaking the lot, same applies to the cockpit etch set, use CMK or Pavla for the cockpit if available and do the alterations as said above first before looking at the Edwaurd sets. B57 parts, as canberra kid states whole new ball game

Edited by Mick_Gannon