Best 1:72 Kits ? MiG 21MF and An-2 Colt

Tiger331

I mainly do 1:48 and have lost track of the 1:72 world. I've recently been asked to contribute two 1:72 scale kits to a project and need to do a Jugoslav MiG 21MF and Antonov An-2 Colt. Can the 1:72 modellers out there give me some recommendations, please ?

Thanks

Mark

I think the only choice you have for an AN-2 in 1/72 is the Bilek kit:

http://obchod.valka.cz/product_info.php?products_id=1037261&product_name=172-Antonov-AN-2

It is also boxed by Revell and Italeri and I think it served as the basis for Trumpeter's kit.

It's a decent kit, but fiddly in places and certainly not a shake-and-bake affair.

There's actually quite a bit of aftermarket made for it and I would consider Pavla's Cockpit and canopy set to be essential. The one piece vac formed canopy will save you a ton of trouble compared to the multi-piece canopy in the kit and makes the Pavla set worth the money on it's own:

http://obchod.valka.cz/product_info.php?products_id=1065380&product_name=172-An-2Colt-Pilots-cockpit-vacu-canopy

Another option for the AN-2 is the Trumpeter kit, but the review here CLICK ME is not very complimentary. For the MiG-21, the only really accurate MF is the old KP kit, which dates back to the 1970s and has raised panel lines and rivets along with a mediocre fit. The Fujimi kit bills itself as an MF, but really has the features of a bis CLICK HERE ALSO, plus it evidently has its own accuracy issues YET ANOTHER CLICK in the forward fuselage that get the MiG-21 enthusiasts worked up. On a positive note, it's a kit that falls together (which any MiG-21 kit should, considering the simple shapes), has quite a bit of finesse in detail, and Quickboost has several resin items to correct some of its issues.

Regards,

Murph

KP/Mastercraft/Kopro 21MF is not worth bothering with. The best way to get a decent 21MF is to modify the Zvezda 21bis. The only serious difference is dorsal spine, which in Zvezda kit is supplied as separate item, thus easy to correct. Concerning the An-2 Italeri is streets ahead of Trumpeter, although the latter is also based on the original Bilek mould.

Hi Tiger331, I live near ex Jugoslavia, so I build a few models of AF bordering. I build usually models in 1/72, so my selection for the best models was; For An-2 Italeri/Bilek with Pavla set, and decals Blue Rider Air Force Yugoslavia Pt.1 Bosnia & Croazia, for Mig 21MF I used Zvezda kit, with P.P. Aereoparts set (now Flighpath!!!) and decals from Balkan Models. But you don't forget that R.V. has in pipe line a new family of Mig's. Recently I buy the Mig 21SMT, It is fantastic!

Regards

Linus

• 2 weeks later...

The Fujimi kit bills itself as an MF, but really has the features of a bis

It's not even accurate for a bis. Fuselage spine is too bulged for a bis, not bulged enough for a SMT.

Of course Fujimi did not tax themselves with such trivial details and boxed the kit variously as a MF, R, bis and SMT. :wicked:

It's not even accurate for a bis. Fuselage spine is too bulged for a bis, not bulged enough for a SMT.

Of course Fujimi did not tax themselves with such trivial details and boxed the kit variously as a MF, R, bis and SMT. :wicked:

Not exactly so - the one boxed as SMT has quite different dorsal spine.

But 21R boxing lacks even the wingtip ECM fairings - the most visible feature (save the the underfuselage pod) of the recce bird when compared to the MF.

Not exactly so - the one boxed as SMT has quite different dorsal spine.

No kidding, only had a quick look in the box and I erroneously assumed that it was the same part as in the others.

Never seen one of them built up either.

• 5 years later...
5 hours ago, Sonoran said:

I am pretty sure that Revell, Italeri, and Bilek are all the same model

I think I agree with you. I've since found the Bilek name in the Italeri kit. I'll buy the masks then! I'm building the Colt from the Estonian air force.