'Grand Slam' Lancaster Question

johnny akes

Hi folks

Having got hold of the Tamiya Dambuster/Grand Slam kit I'm torn over which version to do - I've done the Dambuster in 1/72 so I'm leaning towards the Grand Slam, the problem though is that I'd prefer to include the front turret rather than the fairing.

I've found a picture of what I think must be a prototype/test airframe (no squadron codes, front and mid-upper turrets retained) but my question is: did any Grand Slam aircraft perform operations with its front turret in place? I ask because Wikipedia says of the B1 Special: "For some Tallboy raids, the mid-upper turret was removed. This modification was retained for the Grand Slam aircraft, and in addition the nose turret was later removed" (my italics).

So by 'later' do they mean before or after they entered operational service? And if so, does anyone know the relevant codes and serial numbers?

Thanks in advance

J A.

Hi Johnny, I think you must be referring to the picture of PB995 carrying a Grand Slam whilst on trials at Boscombe Down. These trials resulted in a recommendation that the front turret be removed and faired over to save weight. It is unclear whether this was done wholly at Avro or on the squadron. Only 32 Lancasters were converted to B1(Special) configuration. Codes of some on 617 were as follows (YZ the squadron code on these 'craft):PB996-C;PB997-E;PB998-D; PD112-S;PD113-T;PD114-B;PD115-K;PD116-A;PD117-L;PD118-M;PD119-J;PD121-S;PD127-F;PD128-R;PD129-O;PD130-D/W/U;PD131-V;PD133-P;PD134-Y;PD135-W;

PD136-N;PD139-W/L;

Hope that helps

Dave

• Like 1

According to its pilot, for the Arnsberg viaduct, PB996 still had its front turret, but with only one gun, the rear turret had only two, there was no radio operator, the navigator's chair was wickerwork, and the pilot lost his under-seat armour. The side walls of the bomb bay had temporary flat sides, from door hinges to roof, to keep the pipework from being damaged by the slipstream, and the roof was plated over, with just a "dowel" and two suspension arms hanging down.

Edgar

I agree with Edgar. I think it's more correct to say that "...the roof was plated over, with just a "dowel" and two suspension chains hanging down' with ropes to allow the crew to secure the chains after the bomb was dropped".

I'm not trying to nitpick, really!.

None of the available models, nore many of the plans I've seen show the rear fairing in the right position As I believe this photo from the web shows the angle took it past the rear bombay bulkhead.

LancB1specialformation2-1b.jpg

Nick

Edited by justplanecrazy

Apparently PD113/YZ-T, delivered to 617 Sqn in March 1945, retained its mid-upper for it's first operation to the Arnsberg Viaduct. The mid-upper turret was removed soon after.

Cheers

Anyone ever seen 'nose art' on a GS Lanc?

None of the available models, nor many of the plans I've seen show the rear fairing in the right position As I believe this photo from the web shows the angle took it past the rear bombay bulkhead.

Nick

Interesting...have you seen this photo?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ww2images/6902189251/

Not sure if it's any help or not though...although if you know the size of the roundel in the photo, you should be able to roughly work out the distance from wing trailing edge to the rear of the bomb bay fairing.

Simon

Edited by Simon

Interesting...have you seen this photo?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ww2images/6902189251/

Not sure if it's any help or not though...although if you know the size of the roundel in the photo, you should be able to roughly work out the distance from wing trailing edge to the rear of the bomb bay fairing.

Simon

Seems to confirm my theory Simon.