Tamiya 1/48 P47D Thunderbolt

Really nice work on Bud's airplane (he used to begin every speech he gave out at Planes of Fame thus: "Ive crashed every airplane I've ever flown." Not that he was untalented as a pilot, but how aggressive he was).

One minor nit, information provided here for others and for any future P-47 you may do (i.e., not a criticism of this very nice model): Bud's airplane was a P-47D-1. All P-47Ds through the P-47D-10 had equal-size cowling flaps, not the trimmed-down ones found on the P-47D-15 and all after. If you aren't sure of the sub-type you're doing when doing a "razorback," check the cowling in a photo and you'll know in an instant. HTH

• Like 1

Painstaking work that paid off!

It really caputres the solid, brutish look of the original. And in that olive drab uniform, without pinups or what have you, it has the air of a thoroughly 'military machine', if you will.

Excellent work!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for the kind remarks.Joachim I have another 3 to do, 2 x Bubbletops and a Razorback and some decals with the Vargas pin-ups for a couple. But I do like the olive drab machines best.

Great looking razorback :)

You just can't go wrong with those Tamiya kits.

One minor nit, information provided here for others and for any future P-47 you may do (i.e., not a criticism of this very nice model): Bud's airplane was a P-47D-1. All P-47Ds through the P-47D-10 had equal-size cowling flaps, not the trimmed-down ones found on the P-47D-15 and all after. If you aren't sure of the sub-type you're doing when doing a "razorback," check the cowling in a photo and you'll know in an instant. HTH

The 56th had Republic representatives with them during their time in the ETO, and field modifications/upgrades were many and continuous throughout this time. Many of the older D's became hybrids of a sort as they had been fitted with all the latest upgrades and there are many examples of the earlier D's having been field fitted with the later style "trimmed down cowl flaps. Mahurins being one of them.

Check your references for individual aircraft and above all have fun!

:cheers:

Nige

http://56thfightergroup.co.uk/

• Like 1