TBF-1 to TBM-3 Avenger differences

Killingholme

Hi all,

I seem to have accumulated quite a few decals featuring Avenger Mk3s and 4s on them without really realising it (I bought the sheets for other kits, and these all seem to be left over.) I Want to model three FAA Avenger types just as display-case fillers really, but the Hasegawa kit prices today make it an expensive affair, so I'm thinking of bashing about the old Academy

So, could I ask what is entailed in converting a TMF-1 (using the crude Academy/copied-frog kit- which if I'm correct actually depicts a FAA Mk.II?) in to a reasonable approximation of a FAA Avenger 3 or 4? I assume it's not just a case of rescribing the cowling gills and (in the case of the Mk.4) deleting the ventral gun?

cheers,

Will

Edited by Killingholme

No forward-firing gun except on early TBFs, but I doubt that it is on the kit anyway. Does the Academy come with the Tarpon's bulged windows? The interior of the cockpit is very different between the USN and FAA types, because of the importance the FAA gave to the observer, but I recall a lot of internet time given over to arguing the toss without eventually finding out just how. Perhaps such info is more readily available now?

Not just different cowl flaps, different cowls, the TBF's carburetor inlet is located at the 12 'o clock position, while the TBM's have two (larger) inlets located at the 12 and 6 o' clock positions. The exhaust pipes are also very different between the two versions.

Hi!

The TBF/TBM -1 and -1C were essentially the same aircraft. The TBF was built by Grumman and the TBM by Eastern. There were some minor equipment differences, all which you could not see unless you went digging around inside one. The -1b and -1 had a .30 (?) cowl gun. The _1c had a .50 gun in each wing. The biggest difference was the colors used. ALL Grumman TBF-1b and TBF-1c were Avenger(Tarpon) I. TBF Avengers were finished by Grumman in colors which matched the MAP shades. The crew compartment was in Bronze Green. Cowl in Grumman grey. ALL TBM -1 and -1c were Avenger (Tarpon) II. The Avenger II were finished in Olive Drab, US Sea Grey, and what appears to be USN Non-Specular Light Grey. You need serials to tell the -1 from the -1c.

Now to the TBM-3. Not only was the cowl different, but there were other differences. Such as the "tunnel" gun. And others. But my book is away and I cannot get to it easily.

The best way is to get a Hasegawa or Airfix (?) TBM-3 and start there. BTW ALL TBM-3 were delivered in Glossy sea blue.

I hope this helps!

Bruce