back in the game - Bismarck 1/350 Revell with BigEd and other extras

Hi all,

Spent some time reading the various projects on the site and it is really quite fantastic to see what people are building. I am returning to the hobby after many years off with several projects already completed (more practice runs at the various skills I see used here). The first proper run at a kit I am making is the Bismarck 1/350 from Revell. I also have the Big Ed PE set as well as replacement barrels from various vendors - all in, it is proving a very exciting project. I have put some pictures up of the build so far and as always - could use feedback and some encouragement to continue to the end. Enjoy the pics

before paint:

1_zpsf34921e9.jpg

2_zps15d37a21.jpg

3_zpsb2258c08.jpg

4_zpse0f22e02.jpg

Deck side PE attached (including some turret detail). Colour and washing in progress.

5_zps010fc307.jpg

6_zpsaef1f8b7.jpg

7_zpse9b0e9ae.jpg

8_zpsc49bc00d.jpg

11_zpsf0bdecf6.jpg

12_zps4ac25ab3.jpg

Some extra colour for the main deck.

19_zps26100dc1.jpg

here you can see some detail and the hull is started

20_zps0e87416d.jpg

21_zps4397ef6c.jpg

22_zps85a82eb0.jpg

Lots of sub-builds to complete - the PE turns a few bits into lots but the detail is fantastic.

14_zpsa5a6ccd6.jpg

16_zpsd92169ba.jpg

17_zps671d670b.jpg

15_zpsafc9fab5.jpg

Some more on the decks

before:

23_zps257cde13.jpg

After:

24_zps884bb57f.jpg

• Like 2

This is looking great mate.

I like the planking sir, very nice. What colour did you use as your base?

Cheers

Deacon

thanks folks..I have done some more to it since these pictures were taken - more decks, lifeboats etc...more pics to follow when I can get them off the camera.

Since starting back - I have been using Vallejo paint. I start with a prime (grey) then cover with Ocre yellow (several coats until very bright). Gave it a coat of varnish then used Mig oils thinned for different effects. Mig shadow brown (very thin to fill deck gaps) - then again to take the edge off the yellow. Dark rust to add some colour depth and finally finished off with black on some of the detail areas...It was a lot of fun to do - colour matching between some of the decks has been a challenge though :-)

More pics as I did not notice they had gone to page two on photobucket:

25_zps4343a9d5.jpg

26_zps5d71bb29.jpg

those keen eyes may spot the lifeboat with the missing bit of PE...no idea what happened to it and they are very small (each square in the picture is 1cm)

painted and finished:

27_zps22d0e546.jpg

I did not apply any matt to the deck until I had completed assembly together so it all looked a little glossy here. I was also not very happy with the unbroken grey look so I used more Mig oils but this time selected a light german grey colour - this was dry brushed into a few areas to highlight some of the detail and break up the grey.

hull, main and second deck pretty much finished in terms of paint. lots of detailing to go though.

28_zps776272fb.jpg

29_zps9925a26a.jpg

just used paint on the hull - the transfers looked a little tough to get right so I used them as templates for masking...overall, very pleased with the effect.

REALLY liking this build! great detail & paintwork, & the hull looks fantastic!!

Was this the kit that was on EvilBay & sold earlier this week for a VERY good price? you have all the bit that one did...

Thank you all for the comments.

No - I purchased this from Modelzone in MK a few months ago (buy 2 Revell and get 1 free) and spent some time researching the ship, some of the details and then looking at different options. The base Revell kit is one of the best I have ever worked on, everything fits very well with little work required but the PE really adds a new dimension to it. I will fetch some of the more recent pictures off the camera later today. Some cool before and after shots with PE detail added.

I did really enjoy the paint work. The transfers look great in the box but I really wanted to try and paint everything using mask building up layers. I am planning on sinking the kit into some insulation foam for a base (rather than using the stand) hence the propellers are not attached - neither are the rudders.

One thing I will say - the PE adds a massive amount of time to the project. I did a couple of hours last night and a single kit piece needed 30 minutes of prep (removing pieces, sanding and prep) then spent the rest of the time attaching some 19 bits of PE. Some very small and very very detailed. There are another 5 bits to go :-)

• Like 2

Here are yet more pictures of the build - all up to date now so will need to work on it for a week or two before sharing more photos :-)

Enjoy.

31_zpscc5d2ec8.jpg

Before PE - I was quite impressed with the level of moulding detail on the parts with the Revell kit...

33_zps67437f8d.jpg

After PE (with some still outstanding!) - this one part contained: 6 lifeboat stands, 3 deck stands (with 3 supports), 5 decks, 2 handrails and 1 ladder!

34_zpsab4220d5.jpg

35_zps6aef31df.jpg

This part of the kit was a true joy to build. Neverbefore have I sat at the table and spent 30 minutes just planning how to approach a build...total time for the stack was about 4 hours (modification, prep, PE, prime, colour, gloss and mig oil wash. Still needs to be Matt coating and final dry brush detailing - that is easier to do on the body of the kit.

36_zpsc80b72e0.jpg

37_zps0bdddc76.jpg

• Like 2

Hello, this is looking great! As for the fit, I did the 1/700th version, and that was one of the best fitting kits I have done, so Revell really seem to put an awful lot of pride into their Bismarck (and most likely Tirpitz too).

You can take pride in what you have done so far too. Look forward to seeing more!

Thanks for sharing, all the best, Ray

• 3 weeks later...

A very enjoyable build Leigh, and I agree with you on how much time can be consumed on just one area when you are adding photo-etch. Especially with a hungry carpet monster.

:popcorn::popcorn: Jockster.

This is looking wonderful mate.

As a vallejo paint user myself, what grey are you using for the superstructure?

Cheers

Thanks for the comments folks - I may pick up a few bits this evening and carry on (the BSG Viper MkII is making good progress though....but filler might need to dry this evening).

As you can expect, that bottle of grey has had quite a bit of use of late - as such, all markings have come off the bottle! - I believe it is the Light grey 71-050.

This is a little bright when it goes on but I wash with black (very thin) and then dry brush some faded white over some of the edges...this has quite a nice effect.

• 2 weeks later...

Well folks - it has been a while but things are moving in the right direction:

enjoy

45_zps716ec286.jpg

44_zpscf32512c.jpg

A few bits of PE and I thought it was nearly finished....WOW this turned into a beast!!

47_zps701c0a43.jpg

48_zps9bb0f33b.jpg

I am very please with how this turned out, here is how it looks on the main deck.

49_zps190379d4.jpg

50_zps8b73281a.jpg

Not going to glue it today as the deck it fits onto needs some additional railing attached...

here is the last bit of progress so far - a couple of bits attached to the main deck.

46_zpsec373ec6.jpg

Keep your comments coming and thanks for looking.

Leigh.

• Like 2

Folks - need some help here.

I have finished applying rails to the decks and I am quite pleased with the result but the CA I have been using is a real pain to get in the right places.

I have read that some folks are using a high-strength PVA glue to do the job - I have tried some PVA glue but that was useless. I was thinking of trying the No more nails express PVA glue as it dries clear and is very thick for application.

For those folks who have already tried / using PVA glue, what are you using and what should I be looking for?

thanks,

Leigh.

Hi Leigh, very nice build mate, been enjoying this one. I use ordinary PVA, nothing special. Firstly everything is tacked into place with CA liquid and gel or Johnsons Klear, then when all is dry and set I use slightly watered down PVA on a small brush and paint the PVA along the join. both sides of the railing if possible. Let that dry and repeat the PVA bit if necessary until I get a good looking fillet between deck and railing. On my Varyag I added white acrylic paint to the PVA and painted the fillet just to finish off and neaten the appearance of the final model. For grey ships I have been adding black and white acrylic.

Hope this helps mate.

Jocko

The build is looking really good, neatly finished, and the wash works really well in bringing the detail out.

As for railings, I used CA on my last model, which worked but was difficult to use and took ages. However I've just fitted all the railings on my current build (HMS Warspite) using regular PVA (just typical from a craft shop), and it worked really well for me. To echo what Jockster said, the big advantage of PVA is you can apply it with a typical medium/fine paint brush, I just thin it slightly with water to a paintable consistancy, run along the base of the rail and quickly place into position and hold for a short while, once it has grabbed (which is fairly quick with PVA) then lightly paint all along the join with the thinned PVA which seals the gap and bonds all along leaving a nice neat finish. Also, when dried, PVA is surprisingly strong. The other advantage is it dries virtually transparent, so you may get away with a little over-application on finished painted parts.

I'm a big convert to PVA, and have used it for most of my Warspite build, I only used polystyrene type cement on early larger assembly parts prior to painting. Also, if you are intending to do rigging, in my experience, PVA is the miracle glue that makes it relatively easy to do, as you can apply the tiniest dot, it grabs the line (stretched sprue in my case) instantly, sets firm very quickly (in a matter of seconds) allowing you to move on to attaching the other end, and dries transparent; I discovered this after having spent a very frustrating time experimenting with CA and other glues for rigging.

Edited by Rob 1