Worst sci-fi spaceship?

Just read through the thread....

Interesting selection of spaceships mentioned, there really have been some bad ones over the years, often due to budget or time constraints.

But if anyone wants to have a closer look at some of them (and a load of replica spaceships), they can be seen at smallspace2 on the 7th July.

Mat Irvine and Mike Tucker will have a number of their props on show, I guess the liberator, a couple of the pursuit ships and a couple of hair driers will be there amongst the display.

You can get a taste of it from pictures of last years show http://www.hamex.co.uk/smallspace/smallspace%201/smallspace1.html

Details of this years show are on the site http://www.hamex.co.uk/ the main display this year is due to be All sections Alpha, space 1999 set recreation.

And Mat and Mike are also down to put on a larger display at this years Scale ModelWorld this year.

Thanks,

Paul

Yucky

Serenity

Oh thank goodness, I was just going to post my dislike of the Serenity design, fearful of the imminent lynching. I love Firefly, I think Serenity is a fine piece of functional design and they use the ship's "features" really well in the series, but it's just so ugly! And not cool ugly like e.g. the Betty from Alien Resurrection, but naff cheapo ugly.

None of the shapes fit together, the bridge section is way too small for the neck, I could go on. It does get a bit better in the movie when they obviously had some more money to spend on it, but the shape is still bleh.

Can't agree about Star Wars though - so much good stuff in there.

I also want to stick up for the '80s Buck Rogers, there were some nice models in that series - the Draconian mothership and the Defence Directorate starfighters stand out. It's obviously campy and silly but I thought there was some good chemistry between the leads which made it much better than it could've been.

Will

W

Edited by Will Vale

I was going to ask what people thought of Serenity. I agree she's not a great looking design, but I wouldn't go as far as saying that I hate it. I loved the series and I think the ship fits that universe very well. I think if it was a better looking craft or a bit flashier, then Mal probably wouldn't have had enough money to buy her in the first place. It's purposely "low rent", but she has character. Joss Whedon said that he was thinking of the Millennium Falcon (as his thoughts often turn to the Falcon) when he came up with Firefly.

Agree about the Betty from Resurection. Definitely the best thing about that movie. Also a Joss Whedon connection, as he wrote the story. I wonder if the mixed crew of the Betty were an early version of the Serenity crew. :hmmm:

I also like a lot of the stuff that has been mentioned. The Shado Interceptor, while not very practical, I think has the cool factor from an asthetic viewpoint. Love the Buck Rogers Thunderfighter and the Draconian Marauders, too. The show was pretty terrible, though (aside from Wilma Deering, of course).

• Like 1

The Palomino from "The Black Hole" film should get mention here.

Hard to believe the film that gave us a beautifully done ship like the Cygnus could also give us the half hearted Palomino.

i agree with ALL the ships in the Frakes Thunderbirds movie as been crap ..... (even Thunderbird 3s added fins sucked)

the biggest crime that movie had was seeing the launch of Thunderbird 2 been flown by the HOOD !

gah...spit....gasp...blah.....

We could have an entire thread on the total DESTRUCTION of Thunderbirds by Frakes and co.

Let's only hope that eventually someone will make a REAL movie of it.

.....With the ORIGINAL craft - the BEST!

TB2 must surely rate as one of the most amazing and iconic ships ever to grace a screen.

It must certainly be just about the most well known, even by people who didn't watch the show, in the same way that folks who never watched Doctor who instantly recognise the Daleks.

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 2

Good:

Reimagined Battlestars

MK2 Vipers

Enterprise NX-01

Moya from Farscape

Yucky

Serenity

Most of the Star Wars Universe

Sebation Command Carriers

Enterprise B & C

While I immensely enjoied the Farscape series, I think that apart from the Leviathans (that were pretty cool), none of the other spaceships in the series were particulary interesting designs. Totally agree with you on the command carriers, pretty bad. The Scarran dreadnoughts and the decimator were IMHO only slightly better though. Considering the effort put by the production in other aspects of the series I'd have expected much cooler starships. Should be said that no starship really has much time on screen anyway, apart from Moya.

Most important: what Farscape lacks in terms of interesting starships, it's more than compensated by the good range of interesting girls... :lol:

Edited by Giorgio N

Good:

Reimagined Battlestars

MK2 Vipers

Enterprise NX-01

Moya from Farscape

Yucky

Serenity

Most of the Star Wars Universe

Sebation Command Carriers

Enterprise B & C

Nooooooo! You can't not like Star Wars spaceships!

How about the bad guy's ships in the original Babylon 5???

Looked like a cross between a spider crab and an ink blot......

Some might think them awesome - some might not.

Roy.

Those were the Shadow cruisers, which weren't really all that bad. The smaller Shadow fighters were a bit unimaginative and simplistic though.

While I immensely enjoied the Farscape series, I think that apart from the Leviathans (that were pretty cool), none of the other spaceships in the series were particulary interesting designs. Totally agree with you on the command carriers, pretty bad. The Scarran dreadnoughts and the decimator were IMHO only slightly better though. Considering the effort put by the production in other aspects of the series I'd have expected much cooler starships. Should be said that no starship really has much time on screen anyway, apart from Moya.

Most important: what Farscape lacks in terms of interesting starships, it's more than compensated by the good range of interesting girls... :lol:

When I grow up I want to be Aeryn Sun!

Nooooooo! You can't not like Star Wars spaceships!

Yes I can

I'm not too keen on the Hunter Killers or the tank things from the original Terminator. Personally, I much prefer the sleeker lines of the Terminator Salvation HK's.

None of the Star Trek Ships are that asthetically pleasing to me.

I am probably the only person on earth who liked the space-carriers from Star Gate, although admittedly, they are a bit of a BSG rip-off.

The Promethius was a bit of a disappointment - too much like the Serenity on sterioids.

MH

Yes, Men in Black 3

In the escape from the prison on the moon he passes a complete LEM.

So, did that one not take off again?

In an episode of Futurama Fry and Leela take refuge at the landing site of Apollo 11. The LEM still has its upper stage complete with a plaque stating (paraphrased) "restored by the Society of Pedants". :lol:

Also, no one has mentioned Lexx.

There were spaceships in LEXX???? I could never see past the naked gurlies. :bouncy:

The Whitestars in B5 were a pretty cool design , a semi organic ship apparently , but the Shadow vessels were just plain scary, like a huge menacing spider.

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Jones

Personally, as a huge Star Trek fan, I was never that impressed with the Enterprise B, C or D.

B was just a lazy exercise in making it look different from the Excelcior, even tho it's of the same class, so it should be the same....

C, well, it only ever appeared once, so why make the effort....maybe because it's important?

D....wrong, just wrong.

I do like the NX, Constitution, Refit and E tho, as well as Intrepid class (Voyager) and Defiant.

Apart from the Starfighter, I thought most of the ships in Buck Rogers were pretty lame.

Space 1999 Eagles were a good design...had they kept them to pure space flight. They would never had withstood a planets atmosphere!

And it seemed to me that in the 80's there were a whole raft of movies made using the same models.....

In an episode of Futurama Fry and Leela take refuge at the landing site of Apollo 11. The LEM still has its upper stage complete with a plaque stating (paraphrased) "restored by the Society of Pedants". :lol:

Shouldn't it have been "the Society for Pedants"?

• Like 3