Worst sci-fi spaceship?

Yes the T bird movie was naff. The whale probe was just a probe so i suppose they can be allowed that one.
I thought the Liberator was a good design, suprisingly good for BBC, pitty it was made from washing up bottles and yogurt pots.
Apart from everything in 'Battle beyond the stars' I cannot think of anything particularly bad. Some ships are overly fussy
for travelling in space. Some of the stuff in the '5TH element' was strange but then it is a Luc Besson film.

I think I'd qualify worst as ones - pre CGI of course - where there's not been much though put into modifying or disguising kit parts without them being too obvious kit parts. Now there's Panther hulls on the Millennium Falcon which are there if you know what to look for, but then I give you, from "Saturn 3" (1980):

Screenshot2013-05-12at154001_zpsc48fa587

Holy Harrier!

Talking of Thunderbirds, T2 defied or defiled the laws of physics in that how could something that big and heavy and with stubby back to front wings, possibly take of from a standing start from a ramp that small?

And T1 and 3 don't have a reversing beep when backing I to their hangars.

Trevor

I quite liked the 2004 TB2, it seemed to be a reasonable update without changing the shape too much - the movie though... and Frakes' has the gall to say that Stuart Baird killed off Trek over "Nemesis" which I thought was a decent movie!

The whale probe was just a probe so i suppose they can be allowed that one.

It dwarfed starships and had the offensive capability to vaporise oceans as well as disable starships how many probes can do that. I dont think its lazy design just poor design. The guy who created the whale probe was the same guy who created the klingon bird of prey.

Go figure.

I quite liked the 2004 TB2, it seemed to be a reasonable update without changing the shape too much - the movie though... and Frakes' has the gall to say that Stuart Baird killed off Trek over "Nemesis" which I thought was a decent movie!

Frakes was good as Riker, and his Star Trek directing was pretty fair, but after the TB's debacle, he should keep his head down and his gob SHUT.

He single-handedly destroyed a superb movie franchise.

If JJ Abrams had done it, we'd be on Thunderbirds IV or beyond by now!

Just imagine - Thunderbirds (TV series) crossed with Die-Hard, 2012, Blade Runner, .......O.M.G..... What a movie!!!

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 2

The ship Sybil Danning flew in 'Battle beyond the Stars' (but not her) and to be controversial Enterprise D and i love the rest but that is the worst of the lot!

Beat me to both!

The main ship in "Battle Beyond the Stars" looked like something that some bored boy sitting in sexual education class would come up with in the margins of his notebook. Viewed directly from the front it looked like the standard textbook diagram of the female reproductive system with a generous set of breasts tacked to the bottom of it. As I recall, the breast shaped area actually had darkened spots night about where nipples would be.

I also agree with you totally on the Enterprise D; That was one ugly ship. Of all the Enterprises, I think I'm most partial to the E version.

I actually really like the "whale probe" - it's got a very menacing, 2001 Monolith-ish quality to it. It seems completely impenetrable and unreadable, which adds to the feeling of colossal threat it creates.

I'd probably have to add the CGI version of Red Dwarf to the list. Take an awesome design and turn it into a hexagonal box. The "raiders" from the very early episodes of Babylon 5 were pretty poor - literally triangles - compared to the excellent design work on most of the rest of the series.

Edited by pyro-manic

Frakes was good as Riker, and his Star Trek directing was pretty fair, but after the TB's debacle, he should keep his head down and his gob SHUT.

He single-handedly destroyed a superb movie franchise.

If JJ Abrams had done it, we'd be on Thunderbirds IV or beyond by now!

Oh my word, NO!!!! Abrams would have destroyed Thunderbirds just as surely as Frakes did. Look what he's done to Star Trek. I don't even want to think what damage he'll do to Star Wars. The man is a hack.

• Like 2

A few come to mind for me:

Just about any ship of Naboo origin from the Star Wars prequels. Re-tailor an airplane, chrome plate it stem to stern so it looks more at home in a car showroom and call it good? Seriously?

If anyone is unfortunate enough to remember the excessively campy "Buck Rodgers in the 25th Century" TV series which ran from about 1979 to 1981, some extremely dire ship designs came out of that. Erin Gray was really that show's only saving grace :wub:

I will say that the mysterious tube starship from Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986) is the worst. :D

On second thought, I guess this might be a probe and not something that qualifies as being a starship.

rmjol2.jpg

Edited by Decoman

Well, I'm lucky enough to be the only person on the planet who actually likes the JJ Trek. Can't wait to see what he does with Star Wars. I'm lucky enough to have grown up with Star Trek ( it was first aired in the US the day after I was born), and I own every episode, of every series, and all the films, so my worst space ship isn't going to come from Star Trek! So my vote for worst space ship is Eagle 5, the Winnebago from Space Balls

• Like 1

Can't remember the spaceships in Blake's 7, was too distracted by the gorgeous women in it... Wonder if it's available on DVD...? As for really bad spaceships, no-one has mentioned the admittedly antique Flash Gordon serial movies from the 1930s, really very amusing.

Well, I'm lucky enough to be the only person on the planet who actually likes the JJ Trek. Can't wait to see what he does with Star Wars. I'm lucky enough to have grown up with Star Trek ( it was first aired in the US the day after I was born), and I own every episode, of every series, and all the films, so my worst space ship isn't going to come from Star Trek! So my vote for worst space ship is Eagle 5, the Winnebago from Space Balls

SIgn me up for JJ Trek as well. The franchise pretty much self-imolated towards the end, "Enterprise" was scraping along before Paramount mercifully gave it both barrels. Trek had become samey, dull and safe within its own whacky-doodle universe (to quote one ex writer) - ironically that's why I liked "Nemesis" because Baird tried to moved the thing into more darker territory but the Trekkie's (and Frakes) hated it!

And speaking of Star Trek, I give you:

USS_Excelsior_in_Spacedock.jpg

Now that is just fugly! The neck section looks like rubber hose to a vacumm cleaner, the hull pregnant (though clearly influencing the USS Vengeance in STID) and the engine struts/nacelles too angular. About the only thing they could do to make it worse would be some go-faster ridges on the hull - oh wait, they did with the Enterprise B!

It makes me appreciate the sleek beauty of the movie-refit Enterprise even more!

Oh my word, NO!!!! Abrams would have destroyed Thunderbirds just as surely as Frakes did. Look what he's done to Star Trek. I don't even want to think what damage he'll do to Star Wars. The man is a hack.

Are you kidding?????

The two new Star Trek films are the best thing since Kirk and Spock!!!!

He's brought Star Trek movies back from the grave!

Roy.

• Like 1

@jonathon Mock

The co-inventor of that ship was the creator of the whale probe. I see a trend here. :D

I liked Nemesis as well brought a bit of much needed shot in the arm for ST TNG. Cant even watch the first season of ST TNG its that bad.

Well I'm sorry but my belief is that this is easily the worst...and yes, I know it was TV...but classic TV all the same...

jetsons_zps56c1f5a2.jpg

There was at least two 3 ft Liberator models - Martin Bower had one and Matt Irvine still has the other as it was at Telford a few years back.

I've got a System chase craft from the Blake's 7 episode Redemption and I think it's studio scale. Scratchbuilt as one of a trio, I was lucky enough to get it for less than £50. Think Liberator weapon pod with an engine on the back. I'd love a Liberator in the same scale to go with it.

For my money, the Liberator is the best spacecraft ever designed.

I'd also like a 72nd scale Adamski UFO too.

Edited by The wooksta V2.0

Are you kidding?????

The two new Star Trek films are the best thing since Kirk and Spock!!!!

He's brought Star Trek movies back from the grave!

But it is no longer Trek. Abrams has jettisoned everything which made it Trek. Spock and Uhura in a physical relationship? Spock summarily marooning a crew member on an inhospitable planet where he could be eaten by badly animated monsters?

Whatever it is now, it is not Trek.