Worst sci-fi spaceship?

HI,though not sctrictly a sci-fi movie in the real sense,Anyway having just watched Ben Affleck,s Argo,i must say that was the worst sci fi,space ship/rocket model ever,youd have thought with a budget supplied by the C.i.A,they might have made a better model,though the poster,s were quite good?....cheers Don

• Like 1

I have Argo but didn't watch it.

Worst ship?

Some of the early Dr Who lash ups.

I remember one made from Hairdriers. (Sorry, Matt Irvine)

Also, Space 1999, there was one with spinning wheels on the sides that crashlanded on the Moon.

Okay, so they are both TV, But,

Heresy I know, I have always wondered about the Enterprise.

Thrust lines? And, if the front of the engines are supposed to be collectors, the saucer gets in the way.

(Best take cover now, for a decade or so)

Pete

Edited by Pete in Riyadh
  • Like 1

Worst ship?

Also, Space 1999, there was one with spinning wheels on the sides that crashlanded on the Moon.

Thrust lines? And, if the front of the engines are supposed to be collectors, the saucer gets in the way.

Pete

Well pete,youve put yourself in the firing line with this one,i,d get a full face ,strap it on, visor down, ,and wait for the s**t storm too pass lol.Don

Worst ship?

Pete

hi pete,it probably doesn,t count really,as you only see the ship once at the pre movie set up dinner?in the background,its a V2 with windows?........Don

Sorry but it has to be the Liberator from Blake's 7 - it must have been made by an apprentice on Blue Peter

No, the sets looked like they were made from cardboard and egg boxes, but the Liberator was a cool looking ship. B)

• Like 1

Pete

I too don't care for the Enterprise, never mind the thrust lines, it's got some serious structural weak points too.

Marty...

• Like 2

I like all the prior Enterprises apart from the botched up one in the new JJ Abrams Reboots ...... they took a nice design and goose-necked all the proportions outa whack...... its now one ugly looking ship

equal place goes to the teacup shaped Heart of gold in the hitchhikers guide movie ....blah hardly the "sleek running shoe" of the original

• Like 2

As has been pointed out, the collectors sit above the saucer section but there's very little in it. It's just as well that the Enterprise uses optical computer technology otherwise the magnetic fields from the collectors would play havoc with the data network...

However, there are a number of similar situations in real life. Look at the relationship between the undercarriage and the radiators on the Spitfire. When the undercarriage is down it blocks the cooling airflow to the radiators, causing overheating problems.

The Tardis. It doesn't go where the Dr. wants and will attack you (see last week)

Trevor

BUT think of all the room its got for built models and the stash of unbuilt ones.......

rare kit? just nip back in time and grab one !

its every modeller dream :)

• Like 1

oh Neil !!!

Brilliant just brilliant

where do i start ??

who cares ???

if i have a Tardis i have all the time in the world

wowwwwwwwww

• Like 1

What have I done?

Ah well, may as well go the whole hog.

Eagles. How did they manage re-entry whenever they landed on planets with atmosphere?

And, How did they manage to have enough thrust to regain orbit?

There, thats torn it!

If anyone needs me, I'll be in another dimension for an eon or two.

Pete

BUT think of all the room its got for built models and the stash of unbuilt ones.......

rare kit? just nip back in time and grab one !

its every modeller dream :)

and you could go and find that elusive kit.

"Oi, Mr. Nitto. I'll give you a tenner for that Tristar mould. Now step away from the side of the boat......"

Trevor

One mans gold is another and all that. Quite a lot of spaceships I don't like aesthetically like Slave 1 but the worst ever spaceship has to the Whale probe from Star Trek.Somebody seriously gave that script and design to a bloke on the street who was in a coma.

whaleship_zps1db469c1.jpg

My vote Whale ship: 1 Vote

• Like 2

I am not a Star Trek expert but I thought the warp engines did not collect anything. My understanding was the warp engines generate a field or bubble around the ship. The reason they are on pylons keeping them away from the main fusilage is that they generate such a strong radioactive field. The vents at the back of the nacelles simply vent coolant. If as is being suggested here they are like a jet engine, that is sucking at the front and blowing out the back, how can they do this when the ship is at warp and therefore in the bubble.

As i say i am no expert, if someone has an explanation of how these things work I would love to know.

just had a read about Bussard collectors. Seems they collect Hydrogen. Still not sure how they do this when at warp or how much Hydrogen is hanging around in deep space. Memory Alpha web site - looks like they used them on occassion to top up fuel pods, whatever that means.

I am also not an expert on the technical workings of a warp engine either, but I believe they are hydrogen collectors.

I could well be wrong though. ;)

I've heard them referred to as Bussard collectors (as in the Bussard ramscoop).

But if you want a design where they're blocked by the saucer section, have a look at the Enterprise-C.

Ent-C_zps23281a6a.jpg

According to the Star Trek: The Next Generation Technical Manual, the main function of a Starfleet Bussard collector is to collect interstellar hydrogen atoms for fuel replenishment. The device consists of a set of coils which generate a magnetic field. Collected gases are compressed and stored in holding tanks.

The alternate reality USS Enterprise is described as having Bussard collectors in Star Trek - The Art of the Film. Concept art indicates the collectors' revolving blades creating an energy field that collects particles, and a set of inner support rings reminiscent of the fresnel lens.
The basic principles behind the Bussard collector came from Robert W. Bussard's design of the Bussard ramjet, a propulsion system meant for interstellar spaceflight. (Star Trek Encyclopedia)

You learn new stuff everyday.

Nope....

The WORST has to be ALL of the Thunderbirds from the horrendous movie by Jonathan Frakes.

Oh - I forgot - Lady Penelope's hilariously horrendous 6 wheeler - A flippin' FORD!!!! (ok - that one isn't a spaceship, but they should kick it into orbit, and neither is TB4)

No wonder Gerry Anderson (God rest him) wanted his name removed from anything to do with the film.

A disaster, (bigger than any in the movie,) that could have been the start of an awesome Sci-Fi movie franchise to match Star Trek and Star Wars.

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 3