Revell 1/144 MiG 29 and MiG 1.44 MFi

Hello peoples,

I done the MiG-29 a while ago, but was using it as a test bed for "washes" the one thing I can not get right... I know it's silly... The MiG 1.44 was a test model for masking and just because I wanted to see if "digital" camo was possible with basic masking, think I have kinda pulled it off. Wanted to give them both a dirty "used" look... I am open to helpful criticism, so please be as honest as you'd like.

Model : Revell MiG-29 Fulcrum (think it was an "A" model)

Scale : 1/144

Decals : Kit ones

Paints : Vallejo and Humbrol primer

Extras : None

img1192ky.jpg

img1193x.jpg

img1194c.jpg

Oh also I left the pylon attachments there because I am still not sure if I will put them on or not. Also didn't see the point in putting the undercarriage doors as this was only a test bed for various methods. The camo is based on the SMT version.

Model : Revell MiG 1.44 MFi "Flatpack"

Scale : 1/144

Decals : Kit ones

Paints : Vallejo and Humbrol primer

Extras : Scratchbuild cockpit which you can not see... :/

img1188bb.jpg

img1189mq.jpg

img1190yj.jpg

img1191kz.jpg

I think the fact that I put 4 coats of paint on this has totally obliterated the panel lines, that's why it's a bit lacking in places. Also I used Tamiya primer on this one too, comes out a little thick unless I am just heavy handed... always a possibility.

Thank you for looking!

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 2

The 1/144 1.44 turned out rather well IMHO. Nice job! While your digital camo pattern is a little different, actually it looks like a real world application perhaps for a military that wants to utilize some of the camo's benefits, but doesn't have the time or manpower to do a full paintjob. I could also see it done for a winter style camo, where the pixelated masks are applied to a plane with an original camo pattern and the white (or lighter) coat is applied over the top. Pop the masks off and the darker spots peak out.

Nice work on the 29 as well. It was not a great kit, but for many years it was pretty much all we had available in this scale.

The 1/144 1.44 turned out rather well IMHO. Nice job! While your digital camo pattern is a little different, actually it looks like a real world application perhaps for a military that wants to utilize some of the camo's benefits, but doesn't have the time or manpower to do a full paintjob. I could also see it done for a winter style camo, where the pixelated masks are applied to a plane with an original camo pattern and the white (or lighter) coat is applied over the top. Pop the masks off and the darker spots peak out.

Nice work on the 29 as well. It was not a great kit, but for many years it was pretty much all we had available in this scale.

Thank you for the kind words, I wasn't actually basing it on known camo pattern in use now. I believe to get a proper digital camo in this scale would be near on impossible without decals. I don't think it would be easy to mask or even cut out the masks, in 1/72 maybe, but not 1/144... that would drive you insane. I was toying with the idea of putting a camo underneath it, kinda like the old winter paintwork you used to see on the RAF Jags and Harriers, maybe on a later model. But now that you mention it, I can imagine the masking "theory" being used... weird that. :)

nimrod54 and jimbuna, thank you for the kind words also :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Also, VERY nicely done example of a 1.44 with a paintjob that isn't just the same ole prototype airframe. It is a cool looking aircraft, but the paintjob Mig did for it looks a bit boring to my eye. This gives it a nice bit of character... a 21st century paintjob for a 21st century airplane.

• Like 1