RLM 81

Nick Millman

I resurrected this thread today in order to post an original German paint company formula for RLM 81 that I thought might be of interest to Luftwaffe modellers. This set out both the pigments used and their ratio.

Almost immediately and without reference to my post a string of uncredited colour photos of late-war Luftwaffe aircraft was posted with a comment that they clearly showed "brown" and people could make up their own minds about the colour.

So be it. The message was received loud and clear. I removed the data.

If anyone would like a copy please pm me and I'll be happy to provide it.

Nick

I would be curious to see the pigment list, Sir. There is no substitute for documentary evidence of that sort. Third Reich machines are definitely not my subject, but it is always enjoyable to encounter real expertise, and I do use a color labeled RLM 81 Braun-Violet by Pollyscale in a lot of mixes. It seems to hover, to my eye, right on the edge between brown and olive green, and so is useful for a lot of colors of a drab sort. I notice, too, that it varies a good deal depending on what it is next to, and what light is on it.

Put bluntly, I am beginning to doubt the very existence of brown as a separate color, after mixing up a number of batches of P.C. 10 and P.C. 12 and Dark Earth and weathered U.S. Olive Drab and the like....

Don't let the idiots get to you Nick. There will always be someone for whom an umpteenth generation reprint of what was may have been a poorly exposed color original thinks that since it is color, it proves something.

• Like 1

As a keen Luftwaffe modeller I have found your knowledge of the colours used most helpful in the past and hope to be able to keep using your work as reference in the future.

Duncan B

Nick,

I'm pretty open-minded, and even smart enough to know that I wasn't there when it happened, so I would sure like to know what you discovered...:>)

Byron

Edited by Byron Boyd

Nick, I appreciate your frustration, but I think a better response would be to leave the (much better) evidence in view and allow nature to take its course. It's already clear that others are doing a fine job of demolishing the "alternative approaches".

• Like 1

You seem to think I was attacking you or your post, which I was not. The original thread starter was free to read your info and look at the pictures I posted to ultimately make up his mind what colour he would like to paint his model. I didn't say anyone was right or wrong, so I'm not sure why you have taken such a stance and offense at my post, but it was not intended to offend anyone!

:argue:

:rant:

:shrug:

Or to put it another way.....WTF?

Surely debate and opinion are what a forum is for.....Why take things so personally? Life's too short. :mellow:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead
  • Like 1