CMR 1/72 DH Venom FB.4, WR444 (op.Musketeer)

Hi folks.
I wanna start my first WIP here on britmodeller with CMR#189 1/72 DH Venom FB.4, WR444. Any help and feedback will be appreciated.
Here is a profile of the a/c mentioned in this topic:

cmr_Venom4-1.jpg

Pity, but I cant find any photo of this a/c so there is a lot of questions. But let's keep' em for future, now i wanna tell you few words about the work done.
I got this kit in built condition, but I wanna rebuilt it because of inaccurate panel recessing. I got started from the filling panel recessing with the putty, for now about a half of the plane has already sanded. Here we are.

IMG_1496_zpsb164d766.jpg

IMG_1495_zps61ef3a31.jpg

IMG_1493_zpse14deb90.jpg

IMG_1494_zpsd76f74fb.jpg

Meanwhile I'm drawing the patch with the panels and hatches to be etched as I can't rescribe them well.

ven_etch1_zps83423e59.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for feedback Darren.

I've been modelling for a long time but I still can't resrribe the hatches on my models well. Last time when I was building the pair of Gladiators I made the ethced hatches and glued them onto the model. In my opinion it looks not bad, anyway it looks better than my rescribed ones.

... I've just found that I have no access on on my photobucket acc at my work office, so I'll show you the pix this evening.

so, here are a photos of etched panels and hatches from my previous effort. It was a pair of 1/72 gladiator: one by Pavla, the second one by sword. As I said before my rescribed hatches( especially round or oval ones) look messy and much worse than another details of the model. So I decided to draw the etched and made my own PE at home.

So this is a pix of PE:

etchB_3.jpgetch_1.jpg

On these pix my PE hatches and panels glued wiyh CA glue onto the models

pl_5.jpgpl_18.jpgpl_14.jpg

And here go the pix of finished models. In this way my hatches and panels look on the painted and laquer coated models:

rdy_1-2.jpgg11380_6753923.jpg

If you want to read more about my Gladiators, here is a link for WIP:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_33764_start_0.html (it's in Russian, but if you dont read in Russian you may translate it wia google translator)

and here is a photobucet album with the pix of gladiator build

http://s122.photobucket.com/user/adlersieg/library/gladiator?sort=3&page=1

and this is a link with finished Mk1

http://www.dishmodels.ru/gshow.htm?p=11380 (it's in Russian too)

Edited by adlersieg

Struth old mate you do like a challenge don't you.

Obvious question is why go to all the trouble with a previously built kit ?

However as an exercise in old kit rescue.........bring it on !

I will enjoy this good luck

Cheers Pat

hi Jockney,

It wasn't finished, even decals were not applied :winkgrin:

so I decided to make few steps back and repeat the filling and panel rescribing. Anyway, I dont want to rubbish this model and start from the begining.

There is only one thing I regret about. Why did I not remove the paint from the model with a paint thiner :shrug:

Wow, all those panel lines and hatches are wrong? That is not at all typical of CMR, especially on a newer release.

Hi, I did not mention that the panel ines are wrong. Friend of mine who started this kit made the panel rescribing deeper and wider, cause he has sanded some of it during the kit asembling. Somewhere scriber knife go wrong way, so the panel rescribing at this model looked a litle bit messy.

That's why I filled all the panels lines and hatches.

Well if the Venom comes out as good as the Glad' it will be a stunner.

With the PE I suppose it will work for raised hatches but not so well for flush ones

Hi Colin. Yes, I know it, and this is a price I should pay. But my rescribed flushed hatches look much worse:(

Edited by adlersieg

Hi, I did not mention that the panel ines are wrong. Friend of mine who started this kit made the panel rescribing deeper and wider, cause he has sanded some of it during the kit asembling. Somewhere scriber knife go wrong way, so the panel rescribing at this model looked a litle bit messy.

That's why I filled all the panels lines and hatches.

Ah, OK, that makes sense. I saw the word "inaccurate" and then I looked at the CMR Venom in my stash and I thought about all the work I would have to do! Thank goodness I won't have to now!

The Gladiators look fantastic! Which one did you like better, the Pavla or the Sword? It will be interesting to see how the new Airfix kit stacks up when it is released.

Cheers,

Bill

This is one to watch for me! The Gladiators look great. How do you get your mask onto the brass before etching?

Regards,

Adrian

I used negative photoresist+photolithography mask+UV lamp. Adrian, I even can tell the comunity how to produce PE at home (this is not a secret technology :) ), but this is not a short story for this thread. And as you see I dont speak English well so far, so assistent who could edit my article needed

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi folks.

I made PE parts for my Venom and even glued them onto the model.

th_IMG_0020_zpspezcgedv.jpg th_IMG_0185_zpsmivweq15.jpg th_IMG_0183_zpserqr8geg.jpg

Now I am going to paint this, but there are some questions about the colour scheme.

The first (and tha main) is... Are there any photo of WR444?! There are so many models of this plane, but I can not find any photo of the real a/c. Photo of another Venoms from 249 sqn are also suitable.

I found only photo of Musketeer Venoms from 249(?) sqn(from Warpaint book).

th_venom_zpsulkjrbpa.jpg

As I see, the colour of drop tanks differs from under surfaces PRU Blue. It seems to be lighter than. Should I paint them Medium Sea Grey?

The next question about the wing tip tanks. It seems to be they have metallic shine on the photo above... Were they painted Aluminium? Or it's optic effect?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks,

I started paintjob of my Venom. Firstly I painted in aluminium wing tip tanks, intakes and undercarriage. Jet nozzle I painted in gunmetal. Then to protect from scratches I covered metallic painted areas with gloss finish.

th_IMG_0194_1_zpshsei8vo3.jpg th_IMG_0193_1_zpsbi5but30.jpg th_IMG_0197_1_zpsej229026.jpg

This weekend I'm going to paint yellow stripes on the wings and on the beams. To be continued...

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I did not have so much time to upload the photos of progress, but now I will try to find some minutes to do it.

Firstly, I made pre-shading for the yellow 'musketeer' stripes. Next time I will choose another color for yellow pre-shading...

th_IMG_0203_zpstokpoohh.jpgth_IMG_0206_zpso0ncjgws.jpg
Then, I painted in 359 Yellow areas on wings and fuselage beams for 'musketeer' stripes
th_IMG_0242_1_zps9zegxpeh.jpg th_IMG_0237_1_zpsp9dlqdwq.jpg
I masked yellow stripes with Tamiya tape, made pre-shading and painted 'musketeer' stripes in 360 Night color
th_IMG_0243_1_zpsevhek6um.jpg th_IMG_0246_1_zpstd79bkib.jpg
Then, I painted some areas in 289 Braun( do not ask me why, I have no reasonable answer) and made pre-shading for under surfaces PRU Blue color
th_IMG_0249_1_zps0xngabyl.jpg th_IMG_0252_1_zps8mpxi2zs.jpg
...and 365 PRU Blue color
th_IMG_0256_1_zpsxbzomibi.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...