Royal Navy Lynx 1970s style

WESTLAND LYNX HAS 2

702 NAS, HMS Avenger Flight, Yeovilton 1979

ModelsLynxampHeron009.jpg

This is the Fujimi 1/72 kit with a few alterations, the main ones being a new tail rotor drive shaft cover to give a more bulked-out look compared with the kit, reshaped fin (the kit gives the Army style fin) and reshaped exhaust area. I left the main cabin empty but worked on the cockpit a bit. The kit doesn't supply the pilot's collective for some reason even though the other 3 sticks / levers are there so that had to be added. I also repositioned the cyclic sticks nearer to the seats to give room for the instrument panel. I added the Seaspray radar display on the observer's (post) side, but the rest of the instrument panel came from Modeldecal's sheet. I really like the original Oxford Blue scheme. I've had a tin of Xtracolour Oxford Blue for more years than I care to think about, but it still sprayed OK - took a while to dry though! The old Modeldecals performed well as usual, and a final coat of Humbrol satin varnish gave it that semi-gloss look of the early Navy Lynx.

Nice to have some real warm sunshine to photograph it in after a long grey winter.

Chris

ModelsLynxampHeron020.jpg

ModelsLynxampHeron018.jpg

ModelsLynxampHeron014.jpg

ModelsLynxampHeron010.jpg

ModelsLynxampHeron008.jpg

ModelsLynxampHeron006.jpg

ModelsLynxampHeron005.jpg

ModelsLynxampHeron004.jpg

ModelsLynxampHeron003.jpg

• Like 7

Very nice job - I did Amazon's aircraft using the same kit and decal sheet a couple of years ago. The balancing stripes on the rotors are a pain aren't they!!

Pat

• Like 1

Great job, Chris. The early Lynx in that scheme look lovely and you have captured that look really well. Were the intake covers supplied by Fujimi?

The intake covers are moulded in - makes a difference from the Airfix kit. I just gently silver dry brushed the moulded in mesh over a dark grey undercoat.

Very nice job - I did Amazon's aircraft using the same kit and decal sheet a couple of years ago. The balancing stripes on the rotors are a pain aren't they!!

Pat

Yes indeed - particularly when I found they didn't go over the natural metal leading edge so needed to be REALLY carefully applied.

I remember seeing a Lynx in this blue doing rolls and loops at Portland during the 70's, first time I saw a helicopter do that, great aircraft, great job congratulations.

RR

Nice work there. A proper old school un-grey Lynx.

I built the matchbox one when I was a kid and mental images of Navy Lynxes (Lynxi ?) have always been in this scheme. I've got the Rotorcraft conversion for the Airfix kit to be built like this, and if it comes out half as good as yours I'll be happy.

Thanks for the inspiration.

:)

• Like 1

Hoorah! More 1/72 scale heli-chopper goodness. :speak_cool:

The accuracy details of the Lynx are lost on me. I'm furthest from even remotely knowing much about them, but I am old enough to agree with everyone that it is a fine looking colour, and a proper colour for a Navy Lynx for certain. :)

You've done a great job on that and it's a finely turned out 1/72 scale Lynx indeedy. :goodjob:

• Like 1