P-51B 'Old Crow'

Clarence E. "Bud" Anderson

This is Bud's first Mustang that he received upon arrival in the UK replacing the P-39s that the Group left behind in the US.

You will notice the white nose and spinner. This was just before the 357th adopted the yellow and red checker-board and yellow and red striped spinner that was so characteristic of the Fighter Group.

This is the 'Old Crow' boxing of the Academy kit, although I didn't use the kit decals as they was for a later 'Old Crow' Instead I used one of the options from one of Eagle Strikes 357th sets.

Right on with the photos. I have included photos taken on a blue background and identical shots taken on a white background. Please tell me which ones you prefer when you comment on the build. Thanks.

DSC_0204_zps67661e2c.jpg

DSC_0205_zps2eb16178.jpg

DSC_0206_zpsdf7d106f.jpg

DSC_0207_zpsbbc950a8.jpg

DSC_0208_zps7ff72d34.jpg

DSC_0218_zpsb4abc962.jpg

DSC_0219_zps34740c7f.jpg

DSC_0220_zps88a91f16.jpg

DSC_0221_zps266e5d20.jpg

DSC_0222_zps10fb0d3b.jpg

Thanks for looking, as per usual your comments are welcome.

Edited by Mish
  • Like 1

Lovely Mustang Mish, nice paint & subtle weathering. I'm certainly no Mustang expert but know this kit gets some flak, but it really looks the part to me!

And my vote is for the blue background too, white looks a little harsh to me.

keef

• Like 1

Nice job on the Mustang Mish. :thumbsup:

I also prefer the blue background (shouldn't really comment on photography as my skills and camera are complete pants)

The Mustang we were talking about at Modelissimo was a 361st FG P-51D and didn't have a name, so I was completely wrong when I said I thought I had built 'Old Crow' lol. (pants memory as well)

I think I had the Hasegawa boxing a while ago but put it on ebay on one of my regular stash thinning exercises. :blush:

Steve.

• Like 1

Very nice Mish - prefer the blue background.

One very minor point that can be checked with google, This aircraft had white wall tyres like a car.

Thanks

I don't believe his first mustang did? I've emailed Bud's son to see if Bud can remember.

Very nice Mish - prefer the blue background.

One very minor point that can be checked with google, This aircraft had white wall tyres like a car.

This is Bud's first P-51B Old Crow 43-12315,this was an ex-RAF P-51B which did not have the white wall tyres

43-12315 P-51B 363 B6-S Anderson Capt. Clarence E Jr. "Bud" Old Crow Ex RAF issue a/c FX863. Lost 22 March 44 - Lt. Carter L Jones POW

The P-51B you are referring to is 43-24823 which did have the white wall tyres

43-24823 P-51B 363 B6-S Anderson Capt. Clarence E Jr. "Bud" Old Crow a/c to Overstreet.

43-24823 P-51B 363 B6-O Overstreet Lt. William B Berlin Express + Artwork - Winged Mustang, a/c from Anderson

This aircraft later became The Berlin Express complete with the white wall tyres and the squadron code letters B6-0

I have checked the decals Mish has used from Eagle Strike, and the manufacture has used the wrong number on the tail for the aircraft depicted

• Like 1

Lovely job Mish,

Nice to see Anderson`s first Mustang rather than the better known later ones and you`ve done a great job.

I`m just finishing off an Academy Mustang and yours is much better than mine!

Cheers

Tony O

• Like 1

Excellent work. Nice to see something different from the 357th FG other than the usual checkerboard nosed P-51D's. I vote for the blue background.

• Like 1

Hi there,

Lovely model! In particular, I think the panel demarcation/weathering is very subtle and spot on.

I would go with the blue background rather than the white. I suspect you are using "Kingfisher blue" card. I have recently started using a darker, duller blue card that doesn't seem to overpower my camera's colour balance-ometer. Mind you, I only use that for finished models so it doesn't come out very often!

• Like 1