Hobbyboss F-14A Tomcat, VF-41

Just the box shot to start, 1/72 Hobby Boss F-14. Going with the box art bird (as chosen by SWMBO). Started and made good progress - hope to get photos of cockpit and main fuselage up tomorrow.....

IMG_3485_zps797562cd.jpg

• Like 2

Look forward to seeing this evolve. I've recently taken delivery of the F-14D and it looks like Hobby Boss have a little gem with their F-14 family in 1/72.

so photos of progress... cockpit done and installed... ok so the instruments are a bit "pants" but best I could do with the kit 'pit at the moment....

IMG_3491_zps57706af7.jpg

IMG_3492_zps909bc479.jpg

IMG_3493_zps8654fa80.jpg

IMG_3495_zps406543c4.jpg

IMG_3496_zps68ecb886.jpg

IMG_3497_zps265aa653.jpg

• Like 1

I'm going to watch this with much interest as I have the 'D' version of this kit.

Looking good so far...

Tom

Looking good. Don't forget to add some grab handles!

thanks all... Parabat, just OOB this one so probs leave the handles off - lazy i know but.....

Just two little bits of wire, twisted round the very ends of some needle nosed pliers... You'll not regret it! ;)

ok, as the seats aren't fixed in place I will do it... have the wire so its not gonna be more than 30 min

ok, as the seats aren't fixed in place I will do it... have the wire so its not gonna be more than 30 min

arr but it also depends if the carpet monster get a few of them! :P

Looks to be coming along nicely though.

Hi Rob,

Good start! Nice choice of markings, too. Gotta love the Black Aces. Will this be one of the Gulf of Sidra planes?

I'll be watching this one too, as after the last Hasegawa F-14 that I built I've decided no more! Too expensive and the moulds have seen better days. So I'm looking for a nice 1:72 modern Tomcat kit. I've heard that Hobby Boss forgot about the NACA ducts on the ventral strakes - have a look at the parts and let me know. Also, I can't quite tell from your photo, but does the canopy have the "double bubble?"

Thanks and keep it going!

Cheers,

Bill

Hi Rob,

Good start! Nice choice of markings, too. Gotta love the Black Aces. Will this be one of the Gulf of Sidra planes?

I'll be watching this one too, as after the last Hasegawa F-14 that I built I've decided no more! Too expensive and the moulds have seen better days. So I'm looking for a nice 1:72 modern Tomcat kit. I've heard that Hobby Boss forgot about the NACA ducts on the ventral strakes - have a look at the parts and let me know. Also, I can't quite tell from your photo, but does the canopy have the "double bubble?"

Thanks and keep it going!

Cheers,

Bill

Bill - erm.. blank face... erm.. I will check ;-)

Looking good Rob, seems to build up nice and tight! :popcorn:

What's the fit like?

not too bad... i think I will need to do some work where the nose section joins the rear/wings (its just rested in place in the photo) but so far any gaps/problems seem to be down to my ham-fistedness

Nice job bending the wire for the seat handles! Looks very natural. :)

Are the antennae on the spine vertical (relative to the ground)? Looks that way from the photo, but I can't say for sure. They should be perpendicular to the surface they are mounted on. Those on the spine, but off the centerline of the aircraft, will look like they're "leaning" a bit. There is a great photo on this page that shows what I mean (scroll down a bit). It is taken from the rear of the aircraft looking up the spine towards the cockpit.

Clicky Here

Cheers,

Bill

thanks for that Bill... they are vertical on the model - the are pre=moulded on to the fuselage... will have a look at them as i progress...

more progress. Engine nacelles on, center pylons done, also built the pylons for under the swing-faring. Completed 4 missiles for the center and 2 fuel tanks. Starte don the tail surfaces (first vertical was a bad fit - not sure if it was me or the kit....)

think now its a case of filling the obvious gaps (a couple round the rear... nothing major tho) and taking the rest off the sprue and mounting it all for painting... hoping to have a bit of quiet time this week to at least get that done and the primer....

IMG_3505_zps3dc4afdb.jpg

IMG_3508_zpse795a9a3.jpg

IMG_3507_zps38126d91.jpg

IMG_3506_zps72b825b6.jpg

• Like 1

the seats came out great!

doesn't look to be too much filling to do from these photos.

Is looking great, must build an F14 again, built the original Airfix one years ago..........think it ended up as the basis for a "whatif" model!

• 2 weeks later...

thanks all - pre-shading done... erm to my usual rubbish standard so no photos.... will put some on when the first coats are on

and then, white on the underside - complete disaster - dont know if it was too thin, too high pressure, just seems to go on either splotchy or runny.... going to let it dry and see how bad it is - guess it will need stripped and started again