KittyHawk Voodoo! 1/48?

Not particularly looking to buy the Kitty Hawk F-101B as I still have a pair of the Revell/Monogram kits (Texas ANG and CAF when if I ever get the chance) but looking forward to their RF-101A/C as I have had the Check Six decal sheet for years which includes the all black RF-101A with red lettering/numbering and TAC badge on the tail with red edged yellow lightning flash and I never got round to getting the Koster conversion.

Edited by Des
Remove repeated word

Something Monogram should have done over thirty years ago. 

Well done Kitty Hawk for providing the "real" recce Voodoo. It's been a long wait, so many thanks.

Now wondering what options Caracal will offer by way of NMF markings. 

Thanks for posting V P 

Tony

48 minutes ago, Homebee said:

Why???

Because subject-knowledgeable contributors aren't used during the whole project probably. In an ideal world, every component should be reviewed: reference material (what's reliable, what's not), CAD model (interpretation of the real aircraft), sprue layouts (what component should be on a common sprue or on a version-specific sprue), decal design, instructions, box art.

Edited by Laurent
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Laurent said:

Because subject-knowledgeable contributors aren't used during the whole project probably. In an ideal world, every component should be reviewed: reference material (what's reliable, what's not), CAD model (interpretation of the real aircraft), sprue layouts (what component should be on a common sprue or on a version-specific sprue), decal design, instructions, box art.

Bottom line: Basic Model Manufacturing and Design Skills were not applied 🤔 :doh:

I think that's the equivalent of a typo. The diff between the A and C was internal structure and a small pitot on the L/E of the fin of the C. No sweat.

Bigger RF-101A/C issues: 

Changing B/F inlets to more perpendicular A/C/G/H type 

ECM antennae (mostly Sanders ALQ-51 bumps) need adding under the wing tips and fwd fuselage? 

Ditto RHAWS on nose and tail, again if relevant to subject and era? 

Mod 1181 nose with panoramic prism window, if relevant to subject and era - this is a mid-sixties update 

Changing right rear upper louvre vent from oval to rectangular (all versions) 

All can be solved relatively painlessly

Tony 

• Like 1

On 23/06/2018 at 16:17, tony.t said:

I think that's the equivalent of a typo. The diff between the A and C was internal structure and a small pitot on the L/E of the fin of the C. No sweat.

Bigger RF-101A/C issues: 

Changing B/F inlets to more perpendicular A/C/G/H type 

ECM antennae (mostly Sanders ALQ-51 bumps) need adding under the wing tips and fwd fuselage? 

Ditto RHAWS on nose and tail, again if relevant to subject and era? 

Mod 1181 nose with panoramic prism window, if relevant to subject and era - this is a mid-sixties update 

Changing right rear upper louvre vent from oval to rectangular (all versions) 

All can be solved relatively painlessly

Tony 

The other visual difference is the fuselage ahead of the burner cans. The C model was cut back more than the A, exposing a little of the jetpipe, and a band of different colour. And don't forget the slime lights need to be removed unless you are talking SEA schemes.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for posting VP: very useful guides.

It looks like the clear part for the trailing fin tip (which was included in the F-101B boxing, albeit that the instructions still call for grey part E16 to be used) is missing from the RF-101C etc boxing.

It's here, so thank goodness. I will be looking to see if Aires or CMK et al do anything for the recce stations and radar warning kit. It's a 1964+ Mod 1181 configuration with the KA-56 prism, but lacks the RHAWS antennae for nose and tail tips, and ALQ-51 countermeasures atennae for under the wingtips. 

OOB it should make a great USAFE 66th TRW RF-101C from ca.65-70 or mid-sixties PACAF jet. I'm buying two. 

Tony

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Homebee said:

A dry fit test of - ref. KH80116 - McDonnell RF-101C/G/H Voodoo

http://www.themodellingnews.com/2018/08/dry-fit-review-gary-puts-together.html

Thanks, I just discover this article too! OK, looks like Gary compiled all the major issues and their solutions for the single-seater kits, very informative.

Cheers! 🙂

Edited by Nikolay Polyakov

3 hours ago, tony.t said:

OOB it should make a great USAFE 66th TRW RF-101C from ca.65-70 or mid-sixties PACAF jet. I'm buying two.

You’re right Tony! Unfortunately, there is no recon Voodoo kits in the Russian hobby stores yet.

15 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Thanks, I just discover this article too! OK, looks like Gary compiled all the major issues and their solutions for the single-seater kits, very informative.

Cheers! 🙂

I think he got the inlet correction technique from you! 

We also need the louvres behind the NLG bay.  I'm hoping Aires step in with a number of items, including possibly deeper windows for the camera apertures and maybe things that look like cameras rather than some mickey mouse ears trompe l'oeil movie camera. This kit is so going to get Dremelled.

Tony

• Thanks 1

I think he got the inlet correction technique from you!

Thanks Tony, I feel the same 🤔

I'm hoping Aires step in with a number of items, including possibly deeper windows for the camera apertures and maybe things that look like cameras rather than some mickey mouse ears trompe l'oeil movie camera.

If I got this kit soon I’ll wait until the some resin parts come on the market - an instrument panel is on the first place for me - let’s hope it will be. Anyway, I have some time to practice my airbrush skills and finish my Voodoo until an RF-101 kit appears in my stash.

Cheers! 😎

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nobody seems to have noticed four unnumbered parts on sprue D1, that are not on the sprue drawing in the instructions.

These parts look *a lot* like intake extensions for single seat Voodoo models. They are not mentioned in the instructions, but it looks like they were meant to be glued to the front of the F-101B intakes to make them squarer and longer.

The rivet lines would not be accurate for single seat intakes, as there would be lines parallel to the B model slanted intake face then another set of lines parallel to the A/C model intake face, but they can be filled and rescribed.

Edited by Vladan Dugaric

Looking at position of intake relative to fuselage panel lines and wing root, it looks like the type IIIC intake of the two seater has been shortened on the outside to make it more swept, with a longer and more slanted splitter plate front. Of course, this argument falls apart if fuselage panel lines have changed from single to two seaters. Only accurate measurements can answer that definitely.

Some cutting may be needed, but not much and it is not clear exactly where. I haven’t cut parts from sprues yet. The issue of piano hinge on single seater intake remains (it should be almost vertical, and it is parallel to the splitter plate leading edge on the KH part, making it slanted).

In another thread (on ARC I believe), it was mentioned that most single seater drawings have two seater intakes, so it appears that accurate information about single seater intakes is not easy to come by.

Edited by Vladan Dugaric