KittyHawk Voodoo! 1/48?

1 hour ago, Harold55 said:

Well here is hoping for the best with this effort by KH.  I do think we will see quite a few aftermarket decals if the model is good.  I looked up the Lynx Squadron and on Wikipedia they had this great shot of a 416 CF-101 which would make a great choice:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f5/8b/81/f58b814a80c56026ee7461d553630373.jpg

That decal option was on Canucks Models special schemes sheet:

http://www.canuckmodels.com

Currently there are three jets painted in the 416 special scheme, only one is the original though. One is here in my city on display at another museum (we have three Voodoo's in the immediate area).

The owner of Canuck Models indicated to me that he would re-print that sheet when Kitty Hawk releases their Voodoo. He designed the Canadian decals in this kit. So he will know the dimension changes. He may have done the US decals too. He didn't give me those details. All he says is he produced the decal sheet for them.

Personally I liked Hawk One Canada the best, I have a lot of walk around shots of it when it was active service. I also like the Black Jet, which was an EW jet with 414 Squadron in North Bay. Hawk One is not the gate guard at CFB Comox.

I went ahead and pre-ordered this kit without seeing the plastic. I hope it is like their recent Huey. I was tempted to pre-order four of them!

I'm pumped for this kit!

Now all I need is a 1/72 Hasegawa C-130H and a 1/48 Tamiya SR-71!

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Scimitar F1 said:

About time too! Very excited about the C. Can anyone elaborate the issues around the intakes? 

Will 

The faces of the intakes shouldn’t be angled, they should be 90 degrees to the airframe. 

9 hours ago, Scooby said:

The faces of the intakes shouldn’t be angled, they should be 90 degrees to the airframe. 

Do you know if the inner edge need to be sanded back or the outer part extended forward to get to the 90 degrees?

They should be sanded back, and the splitter plates need to be shortened in 2 places. You will need to modify the walkway decals too. Buzz numbers are FB prefix not FR. They got the last lot wrong.

5468769f-0c61-4d1c-9b74-4db367566382.jpg

3024e079-182a-4c14-82bf-f5dc785cbf92.jpg

77916f88-0326-4a2f-a573-1535f39db597.jpg

And NO slime lights on the single seaters unless you go for the SEA scheme!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, whiskey said:

Now as I recall, it was my understanding that the -B kit was going to have an additional nose included so that one could make an RF-101B. Is that still the case or no?

Must be because the last paint scheme for the decals show it with an RF nose.

• 2 weeks later...

Mail ordered a copy of the new Kitty Hawk F-101B from China yesterday, sight unseen. 

Bought the Caracal Texas/Minnesota sheet a couple of years ago in anticipation of this, so might, er, need another already.

Any sprue shots up anywhere? Guessing it's just new nose, hood and nozzle parts but would be good to see these.

Tony

Oops! Bought a second F-101B. So, Texas and Minnesota ANG are in the box. Well, on their way. 

Now to find funds for a pair of RF-101Cs as soon as these emerge - the Avatar is a bit of a give away in that regard.

Sure there will be inlet fixes by then for the RF-101A/C/G/H soloists. Mine's a 'Heyford bird, but I could do a pre Mod 1181 Polka Dots for the fun of it.

Tony 

1 hour ago, tony.t said:

Sure there will be inlet fixes by then for the RF-101A/C/G/H soloists. Mine's a 'Heyford bird, but I could do a pre Mod 1181 Polka Dots for the fun of it.

Tony 

Don't hold your breath on that. The kit canopy also has a flat top to it, but nobody wants to make a corrected one. Nikolai here is doing some good work on correcting the single seater.

• Like 1

Thanks for the link. Great build by Nikolay with what looks to be a doable fix for the inlets, which will apply to the RF-101s. Notes taken! 

Can't see much wrong with the canopy. Fixing clear parts is territory into which I never venture anyway. 

It's still possible Aires Quickboost or another AM firm will deal with B and RF antennae and possibly the RF inlets - the recce Voodoos had a far more cosmopolitan existence so there's likely to be much bigger market. 

Will be good to see what the RF-101A/C markings options will be, assuming there is more than just Sun Run on offer. 

Tony

2 hours ago, tony.t said:

Thanks for the link. Great build by Nikolay with what looks to be a doable fix for the inlets, which will apply to the RF-101s. Notes taken! 

Can't see much wrong with the canopy. Fixing clear parts is territory into which I never venture anyway. 

It's still possible Aires Quickboost or another AM firm will deal with B and RF antennae and possibly the RF inlets - the recce Voodoos had a far more cosmopolitan existence so there's likely to be much bigger market. 

Will be good to see what the RF-101A/C markings options will be, assuming there is more than just Sun Run on offer. 

Tony

The canopy bow should be a complete curve. KH have managed to make a straight line across the top of the windshield, and correspondingly, the canopy bow.

Check post #65 in Nikolai's build. You will see where they screwed up.

Great to finally see a dedicated RF kit in my favourite scale. OK, there will be issues to sort out but by George, I'm up for that as this is one of my favourite types, the canopy issue may well prove 'interesting' but not insurmountable.

Many fond memories of seeing and hearing the 17th/18th TRS Voodoos at Upper Heyford in 1969, a beautiful, noisy aircraft...

I don't yet have a Voodoo kit in my hands to fret over (barring four Revell and Valom dinky One-O-Wonders) but see your points Bentwaters. However, the single ships in the test shots look very passable with the canopy hoods shut. With the exception of a flash of red from the big airbrakes I go for the closed and zoomy look on my models, but see it might be annoying for those who like everything open. 

Lived in nearby Woodstock 67-69 and knew the daughter of the 18th TRS' DM. Jenny left an even bigger impression on my heart than the slinky and, yes, quite wonderfully noisy jets. Always loved the base as well. Spent quite a bit of time at Heyford during the latter part of the F-111E era there. Sad to see the last three jets fly out in Dec 93, nearly a quarter of a Century ago.

So, really looking forward to the RF-101C in particular.

Tony

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Received my brace of Bravos this lunchtime.

Just like in the photos in post #153: and see what you mean about the slightly flattened canopy bow, but shut it'll look fine and overall the kit looks great. 

Nicely detailed rotating weapons bay door (surely that was replaced by cameras in the RF-101B subvariant?)

There is a new clear part, 10, for the fin tip light on a tiny extra clear sprue but the instructions invite you to use part E16, which is grey. 

Decals/etch for the crew instruments, front and aft, and some great markings (although I'm Caracaling). 

Glad I bought two. About twelve days from the order date from China. 

Tony

Edited by tony.t
Correction

5 hours ago, tony.t said:

Nicely detailed rotating weapons bay door (surely that was replaced by cameras in the RF-101B subvariant?)

Weapons bay was not involved in the RF-101B conversion although it is not clear from what I have read if the bay door was deactivated or not.     22 ex-CAF F-101B and one development airframe were converted to RF-101B by removing the Fire Control System, adding a Flying Boom Refueling Receptacle , fitting a Camera Fairing below the nose with space for up to six cameras , installing APR-36 RHAW aerials on either side of the nose and removing much of the rear cockpit instrumentation.      Aircraft only served with the Nevada ANG based at Reno and even then only for a relatively short time from November 1971 to July 1975.

Yes you're right Des. From what I can make out in images coming up on google the RF-101B pallet seems reskinned (i.e. no Falcon or Genie capability) and the strakes removed. 

Heard Caracal are reprinting both its F-101B sheets. Wondering what will feature on the Kitty Hawk and Caracal RF-101C sheet.

Tony