KittyHawk Voodoo! 1/48?

Well, now we know 100% that a B will follow !

The use of common parts for both variants will mean some work is needed to make a proper A or C, but in any case I'm looking forward to the release of this kit.

Hopefully though the PE parts will not be the ones shown in the pictures, I'd expect the instrument panel and consoles to have some detail. guess these are only preproduction parts.. or maybe the sheet is shown upside down ?

Hopefully though the PE parts will not be the ones shown in the pictures, I'd expect the instrument panel and consoles to have some detail. guess these are only preproduction parts.. or maybe the sheet is shown upside down ?

It's a tribute to Esci: IPs should be flat. :bleh:

• Like 1

A small mistake I noticed just now while looking at a few pictures and my old modified Matchbox kit: the buzz number for the One-Oh-Wonder used the letters FB, not FR. Hopefully KittyHawk will modify the decal sheet before releasing it, otherwise some correction will be needed in the form of aftermarket decals or some cut'n pasting of the decals in the box.

A small mistake, but an annoying one particularly as these kits are usually relatively expensive

A small mistake I noticed just now while looking at a few pictures and my old modified Matchbox kit: the buzz number for the One-Oh-Wonder used the letters FB, not FR. Hopefully KittyHawk will modify the decal sheet before releasing it, otherwise some correction will be needed in the form of aftermarket decals or some cut'n pasting of the decals in the box.

A small mistake, but an annoying one particularly as these kits are usually relatively expensive

I wonder if KH have deliberately done this on the promotional shot to stop people copying it? Some nifty scalpel work will sort that out though.

Wow ! This is first time that Misterkit does not have the highest price of all Europe ! I might take a quick drive to their shop next Saturday...

Mister Kit price is without VAT...

V.P.

Mister Kit price is without VAT...

V.P.

No, the €47.00 is with VAT included. And it's cheaper by 1 or 2 Euro than the other shops linked... yes, it's very little, but Misterkit while it is a very good shop with a huge number of kits and aftermarket parts at the same time is never been cheap and often compared badly with French shops. In this case it's cheaper, by very little but it is. Mind, my comment was meant to be funny... in italy we've never had kits cheaper than in other places, even Italeri is sometimes cheaper abroad...

No, the €47.00 is with VAT included. And it's cheaper by 1 or 2 Euro than the other shops linked... yes, it's very little, but Misterkit while it is a very good shop with a huge number of kits and aftermarket parts at the same time is never been cheap and often compared badly with French shops. In this case it's cheaper, by very little but it is. Mind, my comment was meant to be funny... in italy we've never had kits cheaper than in other places, even Italeri is sometimes cheaper abroad...

Giorgio,

Not sure where you live in Italy but maybe not Rome ?. I worked in Rome between 2005-2009 and regularly picked up Hasegawa 1:48 F-104s for 15 Euros and 1:48 F-4 Phantoms and F/A-18 Hornets for 24 Euros which was a lot cheaper than UK at the time (when factoring in the exchange rate)
.agree your comment regarding Italeri kits though
..I could not understand why they cost more in their country of manufacture than the UK !.

Giorgio,

Not sure where you live in Italy but maybe not Rome ?. I worked in Rome between 2005-2009 and regularly picked up Hasegawa 1:48 F-104s for 15 Euros and 1:48 F-4 Phantoms and F/A-18 Hornets for 24 Euros which was a lot cheaper than UK at the time (when factoring in the exchange rate)
.agree your comment regarding Italeri kits though
..I could not understand why they cost more in their country of manufacture than the UK !.

Not Rome but around Milan, not too far from Misterkit.

I've been told by a number of fellow modellers from Rome that for a while there was a shop with Hasegawa kits at incredible prices, wonder if this is the same you used to buy from ?

There are unfortunately some reasons behind the relatively high prices of Italeri kits in Italy. The main is that running a shop or any business here is more expensive than in most places and to guarantee the shops a decent margin, the RRP is going to be higher.

Well spotted. A nice build, but those intakes need some work. No need for that, they were told at the CAD stage they were wrong.

Help for the ignorant, I know very little about F-101........can you tell me what's wrong with intakes and how easy/what's needed, to correct them?

Thanks,

Andy

The intakes on the KH kit are for the B model, and are swept back in planform and side elevation.

For the A/C the intakes are much squarer to the airflow, and the l/e of the splitter plate is more vertical

a7425a_f4c59db9137e437f8b13b555487b91ec_

The areas shaded red should be removed.

a7425a_d07cb4fe5bea48f8b0d2ec6a4a08bb84_

Side view of correct intake.

Hopefully just some judicious work with a file and a knife will cure it. Until I can check the parts, that is my opinion. I don't think it is necessary the extend the intake to remove the sweepback, but again I need to check the parts with the drawings.

Oh, and the Slime Lights need to be removed altogether. Never fitted to an A/C.

Again they were told, but I suppose it's easier for us to sand them off than supply thin parts for the B model. I will check mine against the Monogram + C&H conversion to see if anything else is amiss.

• Like 2

Available from Hong Kong at under ÂŁ40 delivered.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kitty-Hawk-1-48-F-101-A-C-Voodoo-KH80115-/251530182943?pt=UK_ToysGames_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN&hash=item3a905e011f

Although they are ÂŁ28.70 + ÂŁ10 postage, there is the risk of getting done for VAT ÂŁ7.74, and ÂŁ8.50 handling fee. Potentially ÂŁ53.94

Although Hannants don't have them yet, they are as far as Italy, so probably now in the UK awaiting Customs and delivery, and Hannants have been knocking out KH 1/48 at ÂŁ42.50 or thereabouts, and I don't have to wait on overseas delivery again.

It won't be long now before I get my grubby mitts on some.

Edited by bentwaters81tfw

I too take issue with the intakes looking at these pics but am somewhat mystified after having a look at Brett Greens video on utube of the Japan hobby show which shows this kit built up ( at about 5.56 into it ) and ......to me for some weird reason, be it the camera angles or whatever the intakes don't look that bad, maybe its my eyes i don't know !!

There does seem to be an issue though but just how bad it is i guess only when we have it in our hands will we know, anyway it isn't something that should not be that hard to correct for the average modeller, i for one am happy to do some correcting as i seem to do on just about anything i build, have ever built and probably will always do when building, but that's another story.......hmmmmmm .........ANYWAY

All hail Kittyhawk and their Neighbours whom together with some European firms are bringing us kits we have waited so long for

Long may they continue :goodjob:

I bought the Voodoo yesterday and started it right away.

So far, it seems to be a pretty nice kit. Is it a good model? Honestly, I don't know the Voodoo enough.

I find the photoetch a bit on the flat side to my taste, but with decals on, it doesn't look that bad on the consoles.

One front fuselage half had stress marks on it, and not the other. A problem with mould ejectors?

The airbrakes are covered in sink marks. Nothing a bit of putty won't cure, but it's a pain in the butt on a metal finish.

Finally, you got a two each of Genies and Falcons missiles, but I don't know where to put them, as there's no missile bay.

Question: was the F-101 natural metal, or dit it get a coat of aluminium lacquer?

Cheers,

S.