KH80115 F-101A

song

Hi Mr Song,

After the CF101B :), I would love to see a Kamov Ka-25 Hormone B ASW Helicopter in 1/48 scale please.

All the best

Brad

HI all:

here is my new kit.

101A1_zpsd3a7ced7.jpg

101A_zps1abfd855.jpg

Song, hi! This looks exciting and will be a welcome addition to the 1/48 range of kit offerings. I have been enjoyiing the Kittyhawk releases to date.

If I may make a suggestion, it may be useful to establish a 'working group' with third party enthusiast groups as part of your development to act as 'reviewers' of the design *before* you commit to cutting metal. I have personally seen the benefit of having such work done just recently in both the 1/72 Skipjack (Moebius) and 1/32 Bf109 (Revell) kits which were 'proofed' by outside 'experts'. These collaborations identified errors in research or implementation which resulted in a much more accurate product.

Your presence in this forum is just the beginning of what is possible when you are able to network with research resources from around the world. This is one of the wonderful things about our current situation - our conversations are no longer limited by geography, only by desire and (sometimes) by translation software.

I wish you the best of fortune and look forward to your works to come.

Regards, Robert

Edited by rbeach84
  • Like 1

After 'digging' a bit, I see that Song & Co. have been availing themselves of the resource folks here at Britmodeller, at the very least. The discussion about the Jaguar was very interesting and seemingly useful. Bravo!!

Regards, Robert

you hit my new project. :shutup: what about some Helicopter kit?

Nobody's yet managed a vaguely realistic AH-1G OR AH-1J Cobra in either 1/48 or 1/35, and the Monogram one in 1/32 is showing its age - seems a good place to start with helicopters, a real icon! Mind you, an early Mi-8 might go down nicely, too. And of course, there's a huge hole in the helicopter kit world, where an accurate CH/HH-3 should sit! Shortly going to scan some old unpublished photos of the HH-3 taken in SEA, so if you want source material.....

Hello Mr. Song,

I'm very excited about this realease! I'll be buying at least two!

I realize these are just preliminary drawings, but if I may point out a few subtle but significant differences between the single-seat F/RF-101A/C and the F-101B that might help you with your research:

- Those scoops on the belly, just forward of the afterburner nozzles, were not present on the single-seat F-101s or the early F-10B. There were instead NACA ducts in the same locations.

- The fighter version never had the formation light strips on the tail, fuselage, or wing tips.

- The intake openings on the single-seat F-101 were more perpendicular to the air flow than those on the F-101B. I can't tell from your drawings if you have the A/C version or the B version there.

- The main gear tires on the single seat 101s were thinner than on the F-101B, The doors and underside of the wing on the F-101B were bulged to clear the wider tires, while the A/C's doors were flat.

HTH.

Ben

• Like 1

- Those scoops on the belly, just forward of the afterburner nozzles, were not present on the single-seat F-101s or the early F-10B. There were instead NACA ducts in the same locations.

- The fighter version never had the formation light strips on the tail, fuselage, or wing tips.

- The intake openings on the single-seat F-101 were more perpendicular to the air flow than those on the F-101B. I can't tell from your drawings if you have the A/C version or the B version there.

- The main gear tires on the single seat 101s were thinner than on the F-101B, The doors and underside of the wing on the F-101B were bulged to clear the wider tires, while the A/C's doors were flat.

The photos I have posted (#3) show most of these details, I hope they are of use. Most photos on the net are of the 'B' model, which is noticeably different in several areas.

And after the 1/48th Voodoos?

- McDonnell F2H-2/-3/-4 Banshee

- Grumman F9F8 Cougar and TF-9J "Twogar"

- Grumman F-11F Tiger

- Republic RF-84F Thunderflash

- North American F-82E/F/G/H Twin Mustang

- Grumman AF-2W/S Guardian

- North American AJ-1/-2 Savage

- Cessna (A)T-37 "Tweety Bird"

- Yak-28B/L/I/BI/RR/P/PP/U "Brewer", "Firebar", "Maestro"

- Il-28/H-5 "Beagle"

- AMD Super Mystère B2

- SO.4050 Vautour II

- Avro CF-100 Canuck

- Nanchang A/Q-5 Fantan

- Xiang JH-7/FBC-1 Flying Leopard

etc.

praying-angel.GIF

I also have a long 1/48th British a/c wishlist...

- Supermarine Scimitar

- Blackburn Firebrand

- Supermarine Swift

- Folland Gnat T.Mk.1

- Fairey Gannet AEW

- Gloster Meteor family (incl NF.14)

- De Havilland Vampire/(Sea) Venom family

- Hawker Hunter family

etc.

V.P.

Dear Mr. Song,

Add these to the wish list and I will be a happy camper!

- RF-8 Crusader

- MIG-31

- F-106 and TF-106

- Blackburn Buccaneer

- Hawker Harrier GR.3

- Hawker Sea Harrier FRS.1

- North American F-86A early Sabre

- Saab Viggen

- AMX

So many models, so little time...

you hit my new project. :shutup: what about some Helicopter kit?

Britsh ones;

Puma

Wasp / Scout

Gazelle

Lynx Wildcat

American

Kaman Seasprite

Sikorsky S-61

Kaman HH-43 Huskie

Hiller OH-23

Sikorsky S-62

Piasecki H-25

Piaseki HRP

Sikorsky CH-37

Julien

Nice informative post on ARC

Since it looks like they're doing the intakes as part of the upper & lower wing halves, they'd have to do completely new upper & lower parts for the wings. The single-seaters' intake openings were more perpendicular to the air flow than the B. The B's swept back slightly and I think the shape of the inlet itself might have been slightly different. Look at the lower part of the intakes where they meet the splitter plate. The leading edges of the A/C splitter plates were also more perpendicular to the air flow compared to the B's.

Single-seat F-101 intake:
rf-101c_56-0214_30_of_52.jpg

F-101B/F intake:
F-101B_18_Intake.jpg

Cheers!

Ben

EDIT: Added photos courtesy of Bill Spidle (Prime Portal) and Phil Juvet (ARC)

As usual ARC only want recce birds or two holers.

The REAL Voodoos were ready for war with just guns and Instant Sunshine. The RF's could tote nukes as well.

Without the A/C's there would have been no RF's or B's

• Like 1

I agree 1000%!

The A/C's paved the way for the rest.

Anyways the A/C has that Gerry Anderson's "Thunderbirds" look i.e. scifi-ish!

IMHO it's the sexiest of the bunch with the others having a more "rugged look".

I will probably get 1 or 2 but would also like to see these in 1/72 also (then I would buy 4 or 5!).

Edited by Adats-Coyote

My only interest in the B-model is that my uncle flew them. I've always thought the single-seaters were the best-looking.

Looking back at the photos of the intakes (thanks, Laurent!) you'll also notice how the B's splitter plate extends farther down than the A/C's does. Hopefully, Glen & Mr. Song will give us a true F/RF-101A/C and not a single-seater fuselage with a B wing. That said, I'm still excited about this one!

Ben

Nice informative post on ARC

Since it looks like they're doing the intakes as part of the upper & lower wing halves, they'd have to do completely new upper & lower parts for the wings. The single-seaters' intake openings were more perpendicular to the air flow than the B. The B's swept back slightly and I think the shape of the inlet itself might have been slightly different. Look at the lower part of the intakes where they meet the splitter plate. The leading edges of the A/C splitter plates were also more perpendicular to the air flow compared to the B's.

Single-seat F-101 intake:

rf-101c_56-0214_30_of_52.jpg

F-101B/F intake:

F-101B_18_Intake.jpg

Cheers!

Ben

EDIT: Added photos courtesy of Bill Spidle (Prime Portal) and Phil Juvet (ARC)

D'accord Ben et Laurent!

It's why I suspect an RF-101A/C will be the next release in the series.

Doing an F-101B/CF-101B will require new wings with the chunky tires and so forth as well (a bit like the difference between the F-4B and F-4J, so to speak, but with the added engineering in plastic of completely new inlets, so this particular forthcoming kit, using the Phantom II analogy, is more like an F4H-1 prototype but with chaps already tree-hugging for an F-4G Wild Weasel).

I'm seriously happy with the prospect of building an RF-101A/C in the near future, though the F-101A/C interim kit may prove un peu irresistible, n'est pas?

Seems a bit like a good port or Islay whiskey, except that with this delight we can pop the top off as soon as the crate hits home and take a lovely sip of wonder!

Tony T

Edited by tony.t

• 7 months later...

And after the 1/48th Voodoos?

- McDonnell F2H-2/-3/-4 Banshee

- Grumman F9F8 Cougar and TF-9J "Twogar"

- Grumman F-11F Tiger

- Republic RF-84F Thunderflash

- North American F-82E/F/G/H Twin Mustang

- Grumman AF-2W/S Guardian

- North American AJ-1/-2 Savage

- Cessna (A)T-37 "Tweety Bird"

- Yakovlev Yak-28B/L/I/BI/RR/P/PP/U "Brewer", "Firebar", "Maestro"

- Ilyushin Il-28/H-5 "Beagle"

- AMD Super Mystère B2

- SO.4050 Vautour II

- Avro CF-100 Canuck

- Nanchang A/Q-5 Fantan

- Xiang JH-7/FBC-1 Flying Leopard

etc.

praying-angel.GIF

I also have a long 1/48th British a/c wishlist...

- Supermarine Scimitar

- Blackburn Firebrand

- Supermarine Swift

- Folland Gnat T.Mk.1

- Fairey Gannet AEW

- Gloster Meteor family (incl NF.14)

- De Havilland Vampire/(Sea) Venom family

- Hawker Hunter family

etc.

V.P.

It will be fun to look at this list five years from now. I betcha a good number of these will be available!

Steven Brown

Scale Model Soup